Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to make a project 'outdoor-friendly' at this point

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 16:42

I made a birdhouse decorated with shells rocks and a pine cone roof. It's very cute but I assume it's not tough enough to handle being outside. Do you know if there is anything I can do at this point to make it strong enough to be outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to make a project 'outdoor-friendly' at this point

All those materials are kind of outdoor frinedly on their own, LOL. I assume you have mosaiced on wood? The wood especially exposed edges needs sealed within an inch of its life, I would also use some sort of varnish or sealant over the pine cones, and it wouldnt hurt to seal the grout over the rest of the piece. Since wood is the assumed substrate-outdoors it has a limited life as the wood will absorb moisture and swell and shrink in cycles which will eventually loosen the stuff you have adhered to it. You can leave it as is and enjoy it a year or 2, or seal it well and hope for a little more. A sheltered position will help.
The best solution is to make another one to replace it when it falls apart, you might like it even better! LOL

o
RE: How to make a project 'outdoor-friendly' at this point

Yep, seal it within an inch of its life. I take birdhouses outside and spray the insides of them with Thompson's wood and deck sealer. Just put the nozzle right up against the hole in the birdhouse. Then for the outside of it, you could seal with Aqua Mix Premium Stone and Tile Sealer which is kind of expensive but goes a long way if you pour it into a spray bottle and apply it that way. If the birdhouse is under a porch roof it might last a long time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here