Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Project

Posted by flagtruck (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 16:41

This is a rework of the big urn I did originally. Last winters' weather popped off a handle and then the water got behind the tile and grout and it popped off too. I got mad and took it all off and have started over with the handle glued back on with Gorilla Glue.
This is turning out to be a lot more fun the second time around. I am using the push and squosh method and using my thinset as grout as I progress. I love the way it is turning out. Trouble is I can't seem to find a stopping place. Just a little update to let you know I am still around. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Urn revisited

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Project

I like it better than last time, FLAG. Looking good. And just think - no grouting - looks really good.

o

Love it. Looking really great. Yummy colors, lime and blue, yum.

o

Thanks you guys. I am liking it more and more and keep looking around for more doodads to put on it. It is a lot more fun the second time around.

o

Looking great!!I love the colors!!

o

I think this method will be your signature method...no grouting!heh heh! Good for you for the remake, I have a bird bath that I used those thin bathroom tiles...ya, ceramic!poo!, that has chipped in the freezing weather, looks aweful! Was considering using craft paint and just painting the certain parts...till I do what You are doing.

o

Love the look..........seems as if a project could be completed much faster using this method. Those colors look so nice together. What might the little white balls be? They sure stand out and look really good. So, after you push and squosh and the thinset is dry is the project complete or do you then seal it? I gotta give this method a try.....seems like it would be real forgiving if you made a mistake. Thanks for sharing pics of your lovely work.

o

Because I've been wanting to try mosaic this sounds very interesting. I have a question. How do you get thinset smooth and even between the mosaics? Do you wipe with a damp cloth before it's dry....or later? Details for a novice, please.

o

crafty, the little white balls are marbles. they work great with enough squish around them.
Laura- If I think that the squosh is too hi, I just run my finger across it and take the excess and put it somewhere that is is a little too lo. It rained yesterday so I haven't gotten back to this. Tomorrow for sure. I think all of you will like this. I didn;t like it a couple years ago when I first tried it, but I was just making too big a mess. Now controlling the amounts is helping a lot. I have a few spots that are too low or cracked as they cured, but I will take a ziplock full of thinset and cut a corner and squeeze more in there as I go,.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here