Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasusanna

Cat Mosaic WIP

bamasusanna
15 years ago

I started this a few weeks ago. "Bean" is one of my cats.

I taped a photo behind the piece of glass I'm using for my base. It's done with stained glass.

Hopefully I'll finish this next week.

You can click on the pic to go to my online photo album.

Comments (32)

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

WOW!!!this cat is incredible. I love the detail and color. You got him just right. I feel like he's looking right at me!! this is very fine work.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

was that a kit?

kidding everyone, Bama knows I'm kidding...

and she also knows I am fan freaking bowled over by Bean!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Stunning! Very intense look Miss Bean is giving off!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

OMG!!!!! WOW!!!!! what wor .I love it .

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

I want that cat!! You have there the best of two worlds: a great cat and a really good mosaic!! Can't wait to see it finished. It truly is "WOW" -- I ran out of other superlatives...

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I am so impressed Bama. You are doing an awesome job. After I got done with Gracie, I have looked at pix of yorkies for a friend. I cringed. Lots of variations like your Miss Bean. You have shown it can be done. And I'm still cringing. You should be proud of this one.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

BAMA, BAMA, BAMA. Speechless - won't even try to comment - words not enough.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

A Kit! LOL! Oh NT you are sooo bad!lol! This cat is PUUURRRFFFECT!!!! BAMA...You done good Girl!!! 2X cat drool on this one!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Bama, what an incredible piece this is. I'm sure a hundred times you've thought "What in the world was I THINKING to start using those small chips?" But it never could have been so awesome in any other way.

How did you get the reflection in the irises?

I can't believe you've done this. It's absolutely wonderful.

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Stunning. I especially like the eyes. Wow!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Wow, that cat is beautiful, I just love the color choices and the way the shards give the illusion of hair. How big is this project?
    Cindy

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I am speechless! Wonderful!
    What a way to honor your cat!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

I am in awe...

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys.
    Size on this is approx 8 x 10 1/2.
    It wil be going into a frame when finished, which I hope will be soon. I haven't made up my mind if it will be grouted.

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

in a faint whisper, you can hear the smallest of voices say....
    "no...no grout"

barely audible but still whispering it........

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Amen, SEA and BAMA - I was thinking the same thing when I first laid eyes on the phenomenal piece of art - "whisper" no grout. This is beyond my ability to describe. When/how in the WORLD did you come up w/this idea? What possessed you to do something so HARD, TIME-CONSUMING etc? I've NEVER seen anything so detailed to look like a photograph. Those eyes are powerful. Girl! Good doesn't come close to your talent. Gonna do anymore micro-mosaicing????

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

i'm a fan of grouting this meself, I think it could be softened with the right grout choices... but I'll defer to the dog snot queen... We await your ruling , Artist!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

No Grout is my vote too...or black grout(my fav) but I think it would deter from those colors!!! Now about that frame...it just can't be any ol' frame...not for such a masterpiece!!!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Just shocked at the likeness. What a beautiful piece.
    You are quite an artist.

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

Hi, Bama, I finally made it to your album. OMG, everything is just great. But THAT CAT! That is truly special. At first I didn't realize how TINY those individual pieces are. Working with tweezers? Yikes! It'll look stunning framed. Now I want both, the REAL cat (actually, both of your kitties!), and the outstanding mosaic. Astonishing!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finished her today.
    I've got to find a frame now.
    This will be my first piece to exhibit here in Georgia.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

You're gonna wow 'em in Georgia!! Congrats on creating such a beautiful, beautiful work of art!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Super job. You should be proud.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

You da bomb, Girl. Fabulous!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

There is just no words!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

ABSOLUTE PUUURRRFECTION!!! LOVE those whiskers!!!! WOW!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

That is freaking AMAZING!...You so Rock!!
    How the hell long have you been doing this? Wow!!!
    Just blown away!

• roseandfox
    15 years ago

Once again: WOW WOW WOW! I just downloaded your picture, hope it's ok with you if I forward this - with the proper credit to you - to my cat-and-art-lover-best friend. She'll be equally wowed! Wherever you're going to exhibit this you'll have the same awed reaction. Great Job! Maybe you'd want to water-mark the picture -- just in case...
    What's your next project? How about the other kitty??? -- I'm holding off forwarding the link in case you want to object -- I'll respect your decision....

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You're welcome to forward the link. You're very nice to ask!
    I'm currently working on an abstract piece. I have 10 days to finish these two pieces in time for the next show!!
    Argghhhh.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

HOLY CAT SNOT!!! Fantabbieulous!!! Bama. you are my idol!! I just love our kitty.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

BAMA - you really created a masterpiece on this one. You, like NT, have some kind of success in mosaics in your future.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Just don't they tho Slow!!??!!! So much talent..and we knew them when...!! Can we see it in it's frame too?!

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional