Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Need advice on my next big project

silvamae
14 years ago

I have several large clear glass vases that I want to stack and glue together like a totem, and mosaic, glass on glass. How do you recommend that I put them together so that they are permanently welded together and won't come apart over time? My plan was to use thinset as glue. Does anyone have any other suggestions or additional safeguards?

Comments (14)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

I have several glass totems standing - one for about four yrs., and I used GEII on all of them. That's my recommendation. Some of mine hold moisture inside, and I've heard others say the same.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

I have tried the thinset, doesn't work, at least it didn't for me.
    GE II is the best that I know of.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. So I use GEII to glue the different glass pieces together to make the totem. Do I also use it to glue the glass tesserae on? Now let me get this straight, for outdoor projects, you use thinset when gluing tesserae on concrete or clay and you use GEII when gluing tesserae on glass?

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

Silva, just make sure the GE Silicone II is for windows and doors. I have used it for years on glass birdbaths, totems, plate flowers, etc. and have never had a problem with it. Clean your glass first with alcohol before you glue them together. I also use the GEII for glass on glass too and then grout, but have heard that Lexel dries a lot clearer, need to try it. Can't wait to see photos!

Donna in Florida

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, slowmedown, texasfern and Donna. Okay, here's my plan. Clean the pieces with alcohol, glue them together with GE Silicone II for windows and doors, mosaic the GOG with GE Silicone II also, and then grout with ? Slow, would you use half grout and half thinset, mixed with water, as grout? This time I will take pictures from the beginning. I'm so excited!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Silvamae, you might have a hard time getting grout or thinset to adhere to glass. Thinset and grout need a substrate to adhere to.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well, I don't quite know how to answer this one. I didn't mosaic my glass totems, so there was no grout involved. Re thinset and grout sticking to glass, my bathroom counter is totally stained glass, except for found objects, and I used half grout and half thinset to grout. As I said when I was working on that project, I had to take out one portion, and it took a screwdriver and hammer to dislodge the pieces. I use glass in most everything I do, and have had no trouble w/the thinset/grout sticking. I DO use half grout/half thinset for all outside projects, so I'm saying here, that IF I were mosaicing my totems, I probably w/use just thinset for grout. I've used that technique for several outside projects. It is very sticky, and I've had only one disaster - the pot on which I used glue to seal it. On the other terra cotta pots I didn't seal, and there've been no problems. To sum up, the only thing to which I had trouble with thinset sticking was duct tape.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all! I will proceed as I outlined above, and I will place all the tesserae as close together as possible so as to have a very thin line of grout, and we shall see! Onward . . . I will pos pics when I get started.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Ok I'm gonna throw in my 2 cents. Not that it's worth much but, when I do a piece GOG or something that is on a slickish surface I always use (SIKA is the brand)-SIKA Latex R-(is on the jug)- And it says it is a Concrete Bonding Agent...and I have to say it works well. I just follow the directions on the jug. It STINKS however!!! It really does have an awful smell but sure seems to work well. Always use gloves though as it has some awful chemicals in it. It helps w/bonding though. I highly recommend it. I found it in the masonary (cement section) of Home Depot a year or so a ago and add it and water to your grout or mortor and that's it!!!! It makes everything stick better.(It's recommended for adheriering new concrete to old concrete) and it works!!! Anyway it has for me and I always add it to GOG work as I figure it needs a little extra sticky..I always add it to brass, metal, glass or anything painted w/gloss paint...anyway that's my 2 cents...

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

SIKA Latex R - - OK! I am all set now. I actually have a plan before I start a project; first time ever. I usually just fling myself into it and solve the problems later. Sounds like the first thing I need to do is go to Lowes or Home Depot. Thanks you all!

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

Looks like all your questions have been answered. Good luck. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am waiting for the mailman today. I did a very naughty thing. I tracked down the person I bought the amazing stained glass from last year. I ordered a lot more. They had to get it out of their crawl space and sort it for me. I say it's naughty because I already have thousands of pounds of glass. But I wanted this glass and my DH agreed so . . . it should arrive today. So yesterday my husband went to Lowe's to get a trailer for the riding mower because we are spreading granite on the driveway. I asked him to get me some GE Silicone II for windows and doors (clear), and SIKA Latex R. Well, he bought some other GE white caulk or something, and they didn't have SIKA so he substituted a big jug of latex additive of which I already have a bunch, so I took it all back. I had to literally climb the shelves to finally locate one small tube of the GE Silicone II for doors and windows (the workers there brought me the silicone for showers and tubs and it was white). Anyway, I finally found this one small tube and they are now out, so I will be hunting for more. But isn't it amusing when the DHs can't find what's on the list, they will invariably substitute? And the glazed look in the eyes of the workers at Lowe's and Home Depot when you start trying to explain what the purpose of your purchase is? Too funny! So hopefully I will start this up within the next two-three days!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The glass came today and it is spectacular!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, goody, anxious to see you at work on a project.

Sponsored