Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

I'm tired of hunting & gathering! I want to START something!!!

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

Personal crisis. I'm one that has to have ALL my ducks in a row before I start something...lest I end up 1/2 way through and don't have what I need.

Got the hardibacker

Got a lot of "stuff" acquired for the backsplash project

Got MORE stuff for OTHER projects

Got E6000

Don't got: Thinset.

Don't know what to DO with Thinset (ie: I haven't done that part of the homework to learn how to use it yet, but I know I need it)

Don't know where to get or how to...grout.

Don't know anything about grout sealants.

I'm tired of doing homework! I wanna start!!!

Comments (29)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

As I mentioned before, for your hardibacker base for your backsplash, I highly recommend thinset. It marries well w/the hardibacker cuz it's of the same materials - cement-based. I also recommend that if you have a Lowes, go to the flooring section and buy the Mapei UltraFlex 2 adhesive - try the small bag first - 10 lbs. The grout that goes w/it is Mapei Keracolor. Call the 800 number on the pkg, and talk w/the customer service people. They are very patient and w/explain it to you. I did when I first started and it was after talking to them that I began the front walk project as well as the front column. If you can butter a piece of bread w/peanut butter, you can butter a piece of tesserae w/the thinset - it is that simple. I can ALMOST guarantee you that you'll love it cuz of it's stickability. It w/also ensure a successful application. If you want to try it first, put it on a small flowerpot.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll go after work and get those things.
    Questions: on that stuff:

1. I know it'll adhere to the HB, but what about the tesserae? Are there certain types of T that it won't stick to? (ie: plastics, shells, beads, etc)? I certainly don't want stuff popping off.

2. How concerned will I be with the transparency of any of my tesserae and the glue behind it? I have some glass beads that- although they have a coloring to them- are not completely opaque...will the thinset show horrible behind these types?

TIA!

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I wish I had done my homework before I did a couple of projects.....you are wise doing this.......will save you from a lot of cussing and stomping, ranting and raving. My first couple errors went flying into the dumpster.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

My tiles floating in my birdbath comes to mind!
    I should've done more homework.......but I get too excited with ideas, and live too far in the boonies to be running to the store all the time. I hold my breath and hope for the best most times!

Hazie

• texaswild
    16 years ago

M&M what makes you think E6000 w/be any better at holding the tesserae than the thinset? Like I've said many times on this forum, I'm a beginner w/only about 2 1/2 yrs. experience, but I've NEVER lost a piece of anything when using thinset, except the few pieces I put on the front walk OVER A CRACK in 100 degree temperature, when I KNEW I shouldn't have. In my ever-so-short a time mosaicing, thinset is my very favorite adhesive. Besides that, thinset is cheaper in the long run than E6000 or those craft store adhesives that cost a mint.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

If you don't use thinset then you will need to be concerned with transparency, either your surface will need to be painted or the backs of the tesserae. Use Thinset and make sure to "bed" the peice by turning it slightly on the substrate to smear the mortor and insure you leave no voids. Thinset is a cementious based product just as grout is, why would there be any question of it not holding to something. And it's pennys vs. bucks on big projects. And it's no fumes. and you mix to the consistancy that works for you.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually never said I was going to USE the E6000; my questions were inquiries on the thinset- part of the homework research- and if I would have any other concerns using it, since my project involves several materials- not just tiles. I just have the E6 in stock because I bought it before I knew about thinset...I just didn't HAVE the Thinset yet, and was frustrated that I still didn't really have a clue which "form" of that or brand or compound...that I needed.

So anyway, I went to Lowe's after work, and stood there staring at every product for 45 minutes before settling on Laticrete Premium Multi-Mastic Adhesive. They didn't have the Mapei, so I was totally lost. Fortunately, a man who had done tile-work before was shopping, and helped me decide. I opted for the Pre-mixed one since I really don't need 40 or 50 lbs of Thinset...they didn't have any 10 lb bags, and there were SO MANY ADHESIVES, and SO MANY DIFFERNT COLORED BAGS OF THE SAME BRAND OF THINSET...talk about sensory overload!

So here I am with a tub of thinset, and...wait, wait...I gotta get off here for a few minutes and take some pictures and show you what I got this week!

Back in a bit

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

no no nono.... take it back! mastic is NOT what you want. ever. that is not thinset. I use Laticrete thinset mortar and it comes in a convenient size milk carton. You do not want premixed anything and you do not want mastic

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, cripes...

(why not?)

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw several Laticrete cartons...what color is the design on the carton?

By the way, this is the part I just KNEW was going to be a PITA for me...I don't do construction, I know nothing about anything in these stores...I get frustrated just watching my DH go through the 'nuts/bolts/screws' section knowing exactly what it is he needs out of the thousands of items in that section...

The only thing that will be easy for me is the math involved in mixing this stuff.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

The difference is Mastic is not a cementious product but rather an organic tree resin product, it is such a bad choice for tiling that it is NOT recomended for anything that could be walked on. While I understand that you are not doing a floor, would you really want to do all that work of mosaicing and know that you did not use the strongest choice of adhesive? Besides the thinset was recommended for the fact that it has the same qualities as your substrate - cementious and will bond best to it.

Ok that all said and done, you need to read the labels of what you are buying, no one standing, shopping or working nearby can be trusted to give you good information.

The laticrete carton you want says "Multipupose fortified thinset mortar" Chose "white" the only other cartons will be grouts, sanded and non in a huge variety of colors, they will all say Tri poly fortified GROUT.

Don't get wrapped up in that flustered by building supplies thing... just read the labels

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice- while I agree with your notes on the thinset, and that I didn't realize what I was buying was not a thinset product, the label clearly says:

LATICRETE 15 Premium Multi-Mastic Adhesive is a white, non-flammable, ready to use latex adhesive designed for interior installations of ceramic tile and natural stone on both floors and walls. Pre-mixed, creamy and smooth, this water-resistant adhesive is ideal for installations over cement backerboard, gypsum wallboard and plywood.

Uses: LATICRETE 15 Multi-Mastic Adhesive is designed for the installation of ceramic tile on interior floors and walls. Cures to a clean, white color, making it suitable for light colored and white ceramic tile and grouts.

Advantages: High Tack- Non Slip

Suitable Substrates (Interior Use Only)
    Concrete
    Cement Plaster
    Brick Masonry
    Concrete Masonry
    Gypsum Wallboard
    Cement Backer Board
    Cement Mortar Beds*
    Exterior Grade Plywood

I did read the label, but since it was right next to a bunch of the Laticrete thinset products, I missed the part that it wasn't a Premixed "thinset" product.
    Why am I being scolded?????

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

For me, I basically just dove in and didn't do a whole lot of research........should have obviously, but didn't! It's trial and error all the way...........you will find that what works for you, doesn't necessairly work for someone else......my own PERSONAL opinion, is that there is no right or wrong...it's your own style, technique, what adhesive you like, what adhesive you hate, etc., what grout you like, what grout you hate...on and on. Granted, some adhesives/grout do not work for all projects, indoor, outdoor, so you must be careful in that respect...but you will find something you like...and someone else will hate! Maybe you just need to take the dive and start on something small as a trial and go on from there......I've learned a lot through small trial and errors! .......you can get overload on research......and really get confused....well, that's my personal opinion anyway...just take the leap and see what works for you! Also, if you check the internet, there are all kinds of sights that will be helpful also...good luck and hope you get gluing soon!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks SJG- I got the base for my Holiday Exchange project yesterday, and it's small, so I think I'll start there just to start SOMETHING. At lunchtime I'll go return this tub of Mastic & get a carton of thinset.
    You're so right on the homework/research...sometimes you just gotta DIVE in, and figure it out as you go.
    I'm probably making this out to be more difficult than it really is. For example, as I was leaving the mortar aisle yesterday, I saw a small display of Grout Sealer. I picked up a can, read the label, and said to myself, "is THAT all there is to sealing the grout?!! Just spray it on and go??!!!" And here I had been thinking it was very much along the lines of the tedious job that I had putting a couple coats of poly on my fireplace mantle/surround after I stained it...which was messy, and took several days to do the two or three coats that I put on it.

I really want this to be a fun hobby, not a mentally exhausting one.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Did you read the thread MOSAICWENCH posted on the hazards of the spray sealer???

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, thanks slow. It wasn't the same brand, but I figure the warnings still ring true no matter which brand is used. I'll be sealing stuff OUTSIDE. (insert sarcasm: What was that about destroying the ozone layer???)

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They were OUT of the small cartons of the thinset product you referenced. Crud. Guess I make yet ANOTHER stop at HD on my way home to see what THEY have. I really don't want to buy the big bag just yet. Sigh.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

LOL! I buy it in 50lb bags now!!! Ha!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

MM, was not meaning to scold you or come off looking like I was. Just really didn't want you to go through any heartache later on with a failed project, especially a big one

• icheer
    16 years ago

Ya know, for some dumb reason mosaics scared me a bit, too. I jumped right into leaded stained glass (took a class), then taught myself foiled stained glass, then looked at the scrap pile from those two and said "Self - you are a tightwad and you CANNOT throw those glass scraps away - find something pretty to do with them".

So, I started reading on the internet ... and reading library books... and reading message boards ... and still hadn't done anything. Finally one day I just said "screw it" and jumped right in. Frankly, my creations still look like I said "screw it" ~ lol ~ but it's the most fun I've had in a while!

Just jump in an have fun hon and if your stuff falls apart, salvage what you can and start all over again with your new lessons firmly stuck in your brain.

You'll get nothing but support and cyber hugs from the crew on these boards. It's the nicest learning place I've found on the internet in a l-o-n-g time.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I agree, JUST JUMP IN!! The waters FINE!!!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

I second Jane. Just go for it. I also would start something small. I learned so much on my first project. I think I did it almost all wrong and I still love my first piece. It is as ragged as can be. LOL Where is that first project thread??

Jane. 50 pounds REALLY??? Heheheh

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, SHADES - that is a WONDERFUL piece!! Is that your first? Lordy, child, please don't bring up that "first project thread". I was so embarrassed to show mine. It's still hidden under the garage work table. I was buying in 50-lbs, but can't lift them outta the Jeep anymore once home, so I buy in 25-lb bags now. M&M, Once you do your first piece, wild horses can't hold you back from the second, so grab a flower pot TODAY and start SOMETHING. I'm reading raw FEAR in your posts. Get rid of it - START SOMETHING TODAY!!!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dear Nice Slo-Jane-Fizz- Cheers! (Hmmm...I'm thinking I need to spike this cup of tea with something now...)

Due to unforeseen circumstances (namely my DH being a total jerk for no apparent reason) last evening, I didn't get a chance to start my project, but I ended up coming home with that 50lb bag of thinset (also a tightwad...couldn't bring myself to buy the 25lb-er when the 50 lbs was only $4 more, and they didn't have the little one). Oh, and 8 6x6 tiles that were on clearance for 75¢ each! Cool.

Maybe I'll get a chance to start it TONIGHT. Will have to bannish the DH to the garage if he starts acting up again. That'll work.

Just take the plunge...OK...got it!!!

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Yep...take the plunge, and then post pics!!!!

Barb

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Yes, pleeeeeze take the plunge! You're stresing yourself out fretting over this.......and for me, that's one reason I love mosacis...I think if I had wallered over mosaicing as much as you have, I wouldn't have even tried it!!! LOL So, get at it and have some fun........go break something!!!! Relax!! Can't wait to see pictures!!!!!!! We are all rooting for you!!!! Spike that tea...you'll end up with a masterpiece for sure!!!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Ooooooooooooh, seems I remember a certain l'il girl w/initials of NT who discussed, analyzed, talked about, figured the quandrants, angles, and whatevers over a certain bowling ball for WEEKS. I thought she w/N.E.V.E.R get to it, but when she did, she blew us all away w/it's beauty, and now look at her. I remember someone said "it's just a bowling ball". NT - I still remember that wonderful bottle you dreamed up - something just absolutely mind-bogglingly beautiful. Still wish I could come up w/your wonderful ideas and designs. M&M - you're gonna LOVE this, once you get in there and get w/the program.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. I tend to over think a project. I believe it's from not having a confidence in yourself. But the way to gain that confidence is to actually dig in and allow your creativity to come out.
    Just START something. Take a deep breath, grab a piece of tile, glass, plate, whatever and stick it to SOMETHING! Start out with a flower pot or something small.
    You can do it!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I LOVE THAT FLOWER SHADES!!! The "DH" in this household has been known to get on my nerves at times, that's when I tell him: "You are doing that annoying thing again!!" "Breathing..in and out!" ha! It's become a joke now and he knows when he is annoying me and HE says it to me" Am I doing that annoying thing again!" LOL!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource