Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grout color help

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 15:00

We are using glass mosaic tile to frame a window in a staircase. The stairs lead from the kitchen to the master bedroom.

Here are photo for the style of the window frame the tile will be on.

Photobucket

This is the window that will be tiled.

stairway down from bedroom

This is the tile that is Amber colored. It seems to match the matural woodwork in other parts of the house. photos with and without a flash. Tile is dusty.

window tile amber

window tile amber

Photo of tile next to window, no lights or flash.

Photobucket

Tile next to possible wall color Sweet Annie green.

a href="http://s1047.photobucket.com/albums/b476/debrak_2008/stairway/?action=view¤t=house020.jpg" target="_blank">color & tile

Now the question, should we match the grout to the tile or go lighter? I also would like thoughts on wall and carpet color. Please note tile is slightly dusty. Sorry one photo is turned, tried to fix it but didn't work.

We want tile to pop, in a good way.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grout color help

I say go lighter-up against the wall the tile will look darker and would be lost in a dark grout. The first pic with the flash-the color between the tiles in that would be my choice. But with grout everybody has an opinion LOL.

o

OK I'm going lighter with the grout. Has anyone done or seen anything like this? I get the feeling everyone thinks this is crazy.

o

I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. The tile is beautiful. If you are going to be doing more mosaics, my suggestion is get a light grout and a dark grout and sprinkle the dry grout around your tiles to help you decide. Being a color freak and a mosaic-crazy person, I suggest you mix some other things in w/your tiles and make a traditional mosaic. Do some Google searching for mosaics for ideas. Backsplashes would be a place to start. As you may have noticed, I'm not a conservative person when it comes to color and mosaics, so I mix lots of things in a mosaic.

o

Mixing an occasional flattened marble here and there (same color as the tiles) would be cool. I myself would go with a pale brown grout (sand-colored).

o

Great idea to add a few things! I have some grout left over from a tile floor but it may be too light. Heard you can buy color to add to grout mix. Has anyone done that?

I've looked around this site and am in awe of the beautiful creations! Lots of ideas.

Thank you all for the support on this project.

o

I just saw silvamae's hub page. The picture frame has orange with a little blue. We have cobalt blue vintage glass tile left over from the bathroom. DH now wants to add some of that to the window frame. I said no but then I saw the picture frame. If we add some of the blue glass will the color clash if I paint the walls green? Should there be other blue in the area?

o

It's done! Will be posting photos soon under a new post.

o

Yipppppppppppee - looking for it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here