Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings

Posted by slowmedown (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 14:53

Yep - after FLAG planted the idea in my head, I could hardly wait to acquire the parts. Visit to the surplus store got the sink, and my friend Becky gave me the old chandelier. This w/be near the toidy planter, all gussied up w/shards. Am thinking I'll incorporate it w/a half-circle reservoir to hold the water/pump, which will flow from the faucet. Over this w/be another mirror on the wall mosaic, and between the two w/hang from the eave a chandelier wired for outside. 'course this can't be started b/f I START cleaning house for next week's house guests, DD and Marty, her fiance. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HOLD MY HORSES BACK. DON'T START MY ENGINE!!!!
Water Feature Parts

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings

Holy dawg snot Slow!! That is going to be fabulous!!
Hurry up, I can't wait to see this!!

o

Couldn't coral the horses. HAD to begin. I'm sick, I tell y'all, S.I.C.K.
Water feature begun

o

You HUSSY! I only mentioned that, I didn't mean you had to start it today. I love the sink, very graceful. We will talk about waterfiing it later, you just get the pretty stuff on it and I will help you get it pumping. I think the chandelier is a good idea too. My diamond hole saw came today so I can now cut my cups and saucers and finish both of mine for the studio porch.
And who says you can't draw?? Look at the design you drew on the sink...what is that? I know you did not trace that.

o
RE: Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings - and

LOL LOL LOLOUD - I LOVE that hussy stuff. True Southerner, and Texan! I heard that term all my life, but my mother said it Huzzy!!! I'm still cackling. I got a LONG way to go b/f I worry about the plumbing. Gotta build the tank from wire mesh and concrete it - probably next spring b/f that part, cuz winter is almost here, and I turn off my fountain in winter - not large enough to keep running. Hussy - LOL LOL LOL.

o

So THAT'S how things get done around your house....barely finish a huge project....don't miss a beat....get an idea....buy the parts....begin design....! Wow, you're too much, girl. Expecting company (as you are) would have ME running around with one foot nailed to the floor for a week, not moving forward on a project. I admire you sooooo much!

o

My goodness Slow you put us all to shame. Dang you're not done with grotto and here ya go barreling into another project. Giddy up. Keep em coming.

o
And Another Thing!

And another thought...Slow is starting a new project?.....Note that the "Grotto Beginnings(!) thread was written on October 17th! And that huge project is essentially DONE 10 days later.

o

Wooo-hoo, this is going to be awesome.!!

o

Oh now ya gone and started it too, ya lil heifer you!!!! LOL

and chandelier too, WOOO HOOO.... LOL

o

I guess the Texans win this round! I think I will come see you tomorrow and look around a bit more, maybe I can dream up another couple things to keep you busy next week Huzzy that you are. LOL LOL
Gail, come on down to Texas, we'll take a can of air and blow the dust off things so we can have company, in between shards that is. LOL

o

Wow Slow, you are on fire. I love this idea, it's gonna be great. I bet you'll have it done so fast too,
Cindy

o

Thanks, y'all. You wouldn't BELIEVE what I dreamed up last evening while I sat in pjs/robe outside cuz it was COLD. Worked on it during the night in my head. Since I have such a small back yard, it's not easy to build rooms, but suffice to say I'm building rooms regardless. The water feature/toidy planter/mirrors are the "bathroom". Since I put the BBQ grill outside on a patio of it's own, that's the "kitchen". I'm planning to build/mosaic a bar-height wall around it w/the wire mesh technique, incorporating niches, shelves etc. to hold plants/decorative items. 'course, the patio is my "living room/den", since it's my favorite room in my house. Worked on it during the night in my head. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much. Don't know why I get inspired at the end of seasons when I can't work outside. I DID spend a few minutes vacuuming yesterday. Forgive my wordiness, but I AM excited and inspired.

o

You AMAZE me!!! One huge progect after another. I don't know how you do it. and to top it off they are all just gorgeous!!!! You must be magic!

o

It all sounds good to me. You are definitely using your head and a lot of ingenuity. Maybe it will get warm today afternoon? We will both look pretty funny outside in our snowsuits! I think your ideas are running over...take a nap today and you will figure out what to do with the rest of the yard....you are coming right along to being where you can give a "outside house tour"

o

Wow, you have a clear image in your head I envy you that. Mine just get's all mixed up lol.Sounds wonderful and I can't wait to see it in person,
Cindy

o

My Gosh Hussy Hussy Hussy is right.....Slow you and Carol are my idols ,I just can't speak I'm speechless.Holy Dawg Snot isn't enough either this is amazing,your grotto and everything oh my goodness woman you are amazing...and here I sit doing a couple of little pigs I'm ashamed of myself! I've got a 40 ft concrete wall and nothing on it just sitting there waiting!Beautiful slow!!!

o

40ft wall!?!!! You could have a convention of us and we'd help ya gitter done!!!heh heh!!! This is already lookin' GREAT Slow!!! Another inspiring project for sure!!!

o

I'm trying to figure out if I'd want to go on a tour of the carnival that is your mind, Slow. LOL Rooms will be perfect. That idea will inspire more and more...you ARE the gal that said you needed inspiration a couple of months ago? Ha! You were just building up to the big blow! Go, go, go for it.

Flag, I'd love to come down, but the only chance of my getting together is for me to see you all in PV. The gal letting us her place says there's a craft store in the town of Pitillal. (I'll try a little hypnosis)....We couuulllddd alll gooo therrreee toggeeetthhherr...Did it work?

o

Slow, I have a sinking feeling that this is going to be fantastic !!
You really inspire me !
@daisyme...I am in your power ! hahahahahaha Now that is one trip I would love to take !

o

Y'all are too much! Thanks. Yeah, it's a carnival in my head - bring your flashlights. I hope I don't lose the inspiration b/f next spring when I can begin on the kitchen. I'll be working on the sink and tank in the workshop in the next few weeks. Sometimes I bite off too much, so hope my dreams don't turn into nightmares. DAISY - plan on going to Bucerias w/us, and we'll DEFINITELY check out the craft store. How far away is the little town? We visited a bead store in PV, but the prices were higher than in the States, so I didn't buy many. FLAG and I saw some of the same ones in the Dallas bead store, so I'd rather not pay their import duty in PV.

o

Oh, Slow, you can't lose the inspiration on this one, it's just too great an idea. You'll be fine. And, I'll try this on you too....iiitttt ddoooeeessnn'ttt haavee tooo beee doonneeee inn aaa weeekkk llliikkkeee thhheee ggrrroootttooo. (g)

I would LOVE to go to Bucerias with you! I'll PLAN on it! How fun! I wanted to go there really badly anyway, and going with you guys will be great!

The craft shop I heard about: If you're looking at a map of PV with Old Town on the right and the airport on the left, Pitallal is a short distance beyond COSTCO out Ave Francisco Villa (that cuts north off of Libramiento). It doesn't look more than a couple miles, but I don't know how accurate this map is. We can hop a bus from the corner there for the short ride. A lot of the workers who used to live in PV, and can't afford it now, have moved there. It's supposed to be charming to visit, and the craft store is on the main square there.

o

Slow, gee i don't read the post for a few days and here you go FINISHING the grotto and now getting a leap start on your fountain and the yard of your dreams!!! Talk about a house on fire!!! I guess you should have started your mosaicing a long time ago so now you just gotta pump them out one after another with the ideas overflowing with oh so many fantastic incredible awesome outcomes!!

I've got my popcorn out just waiting for the next fix. YOU GO GIRL!!! Yep Flag and you inspire me so much. I would just love to take a tour of both of your places!!!

o

I swear there must be at least a dozen of you Slow!
It is always a surprise and pleasure to see what you are up too.
And you vacum too!

o

Wow! Great to see your things again, Slow! You are definitely on a ROLL! Love the sink/water feature!!! Can't wait to see more pictures! What a wonderful garden yard you have!!!

o

"the carnival of your mind"...ha! I like that! Yes, that would be an interesting tour. Love your grotto and now this! Love the beginnings and can't wait to see the mass amount of work you've done in the few minutes it's taken me to type this!

o

OMG - SLOW! how do you do it? makes me feel sooo inferior. For two days now I let "every day stuff" interefere in my project -- am itching to get back to it! -- And here you are -- doing YET a next thing. It sounds great, like all your stuff. I really envy you!- But you are also an inspiration - hang the everyday stuff, tomorrow I'll surely get back to MY project....

o

Smile, smile, smile. What a way to start the day here at my favorite playground. DAISY: What kind of crafts does the craft store sell - any ideas? I did a little on the sink - put in the swirls in dark blue glass, but alas, today I have to buckle down and get the two guest rooms/bath spiffed up, and some food cooked, cuz I played too long. Wish I lived in a dirt-floor shack so I wouldn't have to keep a semblance of cleanliness. Y'all make me so happy. I'm so anxious to get back to the business of finishing the grotto and get on w/this present project, I can't stand it. DD w/leave on Sunday, and I'll get to it immediately.

o

hmmmmmmmm.... I just wonder when there is going to be a followup picture of that wonderful sink...? Hmmmmm? :)

o

Oh, good grief! I KNEW I'd get bumped on this. I just wrote two of the forum members an email saying I'll be quilting for the next few days - gotta give it for Christmas. Couldn't let the grotto go ungrouted b/f winter, or it'd never be done, so now I don't DARE work on the sink until this quilt is finished. Sorry.

o

Ta Da! Finally getting to work on mosaics for a few days b/f the Christmas rush. Posted the quilts on conversation side. Finished mosaicing the bowl today. Hope to grout tomorrow. CALAM/KLINGER - ya'll should note the blue glass tiles along the top border. I'm so stingy w/them I use them sparingly. The orange ones came from Habitat f/Humanity. CALAM - note the three blue glass hearts - they were in your last care pkg. Thanks again.
Update on outside bath water feature

o

Drool bucket needed here. LOL .

You have totally outdone yourself SLOW, GOOD GRIEF, this is FANTASTIC!! I love your use of colors, your use of swirls and whatever great pattern is in your mind as you design. I wanna sink just like that. I'm going back to drool some more, just got the look and now i want details!!

Taking a break for quilting seems to have spurred you on when you got back to mosaiciing. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!

You GO GIRL!!!

o

OMG SLOW ITS AWESOME!!!! I love the swirlly inside! and the hearts are PERFECT!!!!

o

Well aren't y'all nice - always make me feel soooo good. Gonna grout today and start on the pedestal - ivy growing around it w/one color background, hopefully, is what I'm thinking now. Many thanks, y'all.

o

I'm so glad this got bumped, as I'd missed the updates and always love the outragous projects you do, Slow. This is wonderful, and I love the design on the outside of the bowl!

o

Holy dawg snot Slowbedobie!!
Love this!! Da-haaannng.

o

Grouted but not dry. Still needs cleanup, if you look at the full size shot. W/do final cleaning and vinegar bath at set up next spring. Anxious to start the pedestal. I tell you, you just can't DO a LITTLE mosaicing - one thing adds to the addiction. Should be wrapping gifts!!!!
Grouted sink bowl

o

Along with the holy dawg snot, I'll throw in the cat's meow! You don't do anything small...........this is spectacular! Wonderful.....beautiful.........I LOVE IT!

o

I LOVE it!!! What a great pattern you did!! Reminds me of middle eastern or something! I sawed those hearts out myself Slow, and know how much you love your hearts!!!

o

Another fantastic piece! LOVE IT! Don't worry about wrapping presents, heck you got 2 more weeks to wrap presents!

o

The dark grout is fabulous. I love how it made the designs stand out. You are so artful! I can hardly wait to see the pedestal.

o

Thanks, y'all. Love your comments. Have started the brownish stems for the ivy, but had to stop and begin hemming FIVE PAIRS OF MEN'S PANTS today. My friend, who used to be my handyman has done so many favors for me w/o charging that I'm doing this as a little pay back. I HATE sewing men's clothing. Won't be able to finish the pedestal 'till after Christmas cuz I'm off to Dallas tomorrow, and have another all-day trip planned b/f the Christmas Dallas trip. I'll be one the road for awhile.

o

Thought I commented earlier but I must have been just drooling and forgot. This is one fantastic work of art! I think you are just so full of ideas and talent that it's scary. I love everything about this and cant' wait to see more, but I guess I'll have to. Have a safe trip!!

o

Wow, Slow.... I absolutely love that sink! The colors are so elegant!
It's always a treat to see your pictures. I learn something every time.
The sink will remind me of how well the reds and browns can set off the greens and blues.
Sure like the way you did the border!

o

i love looking at the stuff you make. i'm always surprised with how much you're able to create and it's all beautiful, slow.

nice work!!! again!!!

o

Oh Betty, gosh that's so gorgeous. I love the colors and the design you chose. Just use gift bags for your Christmas stuff , they're so much faster than wrapping. I'm going to show my sister all your beautiful art when she comes. She needs a hobby, maybe your art will inspire her.
Cindy

o

Thanks, y'all. I went out yesterday to work on the pedestal, but got sidetracked. While cleaning out closets recently, I found a "Merry Christmas" sign I'd bought ages ago, and glued it up. W/post a picture after grouting it today. KLINGER - gift bags have been suggested by DAISEY, but alas, they wouldn't match the decor at my DD's house. We are consumate decorators, right down to gifts under the tree. I wrapped 39 gifts, and am done w/that. Hope your sis becomes addicted to mosaics. I'm gonna try to get my sis involved when she comes to visit next month. She, also, needs a hobby.

o
RE: Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings - and

FINALLY got the pedestal covered - grout tomorrow. Not what I'd planned, but I'm bored w/it. Next step is to mosaic the faucet, then have handyman take it outside where I can set it up. Hope I can find a small enough pump to make the water come out the faucet into the sink at a slow enough rate that it won't splash. Still too cold to work outside.
Pedestal to sink

o

Looks great !! Can't wait to see it all together!!

o

I LOVE that sink! It reminds me of the mexican painted sinks, you've done an awesome job!

o

COOL COOL COOL! I was hoping we were going back to this one (I say we cause you know we're all standing behind you at the work bench as ya work) LOL I agree with Squirrelly, beautiful work!

o

Wouldn't Sam at the Hacienda Mosaico covet this one!!!heh heh! Just Kiddin', it is SUPER tho!!!

o

Slow your work is amazing!! How cool!!! You have inspired and amazed me!!!! I love it, Cathy

o

Thanks, y'all. Anxious to get this bubbler outside and working. Spring is close - gonna be 70 here today, but still cold one day, and warm the next - too early yet to work outside.

o

Slow it turned out just beautifuly. I does remind me a bit of a mexican painted sink. Love all the colors you chose and the pattern. It'll look wonderful in your yard.
Cindy

o

Slow that is looking great .It has been in th 80 here for severle days .I work in my water ponds to day .I am also working on some mushrooms .

o

Oh that is a beauty! Love it!!!!You are just so inspiring... so many of you here are, gets my juices flowing.

o

Again, thanks - y'alls' comments are so uplifting. Here's the set - grouted. Now to pick my handyman's brain for plumbing parts.
Set - grouted

o

What great colors! You do the funnest (is that a word?) stuff!

o

Slow, it's wonderful grouted. Did you use charcoal or black grout? I'd never noticed you grouted the taps too until this picture, they great. I love the colors and pattern,
Cindy

o

I washed out the empty container of the liquid charcoal colorant, then added some powder from the charcoal I bought ages ago from the Delphi collection of pigments to the mortar for grout. It looked pretty black while wet, and really brought out the design on the pedestal. Many thanks, y'all. Working on my next project - a Mexican folk art piece.

o

After the toidy, I think this is my favorite thing you have ever done! It is fantastic! The design and the colors are amazing! Its just wonderful Slow!

o

I can't express how much I love that sink!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you hook it up for water. Did I see mosaiced faucets for that sink!? Could we see a bigger pic of the faucets...I'm just lovin this whole thing!

o

Well y'all are making ME feel better about it. Can't thank y'all enough. Guess I've looked at it all winter, and am tired of it. Thanks for making my morning. I'll take a better picture of the faucet today when I take pictures of my present project - a folk art piece.

o

Don't fall over with surprize!I checked in here anc find out why I haven't heard from you every day. This is DROP DEAD WOWWIE! I love it. Will you come draw a design on my sink? I hate to say this but I agree with all the rest, this is your best to date. I love it. I am so lucky to have such talented friends. Great job...HUZZY!

o

All I got to say is GOOD GUUURRIEF! I was thinking of you about an hr. ago, and thinking "I gotta email FLAG", but had another idea for the piece I'm working on now. So, here's your email. LOL. You're NUTS if you think I'd attempt to draw anything for you, Lady - you're the one w/an art degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

degree or not, you can put your design on anything of mine any time....I love this..I will be a copycat as soon as it gets warn. I finished my pagoda lantern except for grout. Too cold for that, so I am doing the red/purple gourd and going to attempt a 13" garden sphere.

o
RE: Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings and

Scuz us folks - we only live 20 min. apart. FLAG - funny you should mention the sphere. I worked on one during the night - in my mind. Want a huge beach ball to form the wire mesh around. This is one of my spring/summer projects - real close to the top of the list.

o
RE: Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings and

As you can see, this faucet needs another coat of grout. I was trying to keep the wet mortar from adhereing the handles so they would turn, and wiped too much off. And, too, I was sick of working on this project and slouched over the faucet. Coulda done better. W/fill it in at installation.
faucet

o

This is truly the best, I have to agree.
I need to move north.

o

Slow U are amazing!!! This is just TOO COOL!!!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! WOW..................Cathy

o

I shoulda known.. all you have to do is miss a few days, and you find out Slow has mosaiced the entire town since she finished her house. ROFL

It's awesome the sink, pedestal, the faucet. Oh my.. yep best to date and that is quite an accomplishment !!!

You are my idol. I could have shot your teacher in PV.

o

LOL, MER. Y'all are so nice. Gonna set it up next week - it's suddenly WARM here.

o

This is SUPER!!! L.O.V.E. it!!!! DH has actually kept our old toilet for me(Will Miracles never cease???)(just replaced it for a low flow) It is a lovely green...like the tub still is!lol! And the sink was...anyhoo, I GOTTA show him this!!! He'll be emailing you to come do ours!!!haha!

o

Can't wait to see it all together! Oh Calamity, you'll LOVE this pic! I've had it for awhile, can't even remember where it's from, just saved it for inspiration.

It's even a fountain!!

o

Slow, I can't wait to see this all set up. Your handles look charming, I'd have never thought of doing them too. Another great job. Calamity get going and start mosaicing, you've turned into a slacker , hehe.
Cindy

o

Oh, Slow! What can one say about yet ANOTHER wonderful eclectic Slow project! You have a style all your own of color and whimsey, and that back yard (which already is)is going to be even more colorful, fun and FABULOUS with this addition.

o

Finally in place, but I didn't quite get the pump tube hidden in back - still some tweaking to be done. The yard man pulled out too many of the plantings. The large clay pot holds outdoor ferns, and one fiddlehead is showing it's face. When I get around to watering, it w/explode, and when the other ferns/grasses come back, it'll look better. Glad to be finished w/this sucker.
Sink water feature in place

o

Oh yeah, you KNOW you're getting a Double Holy Dawg Snot for this!!
Slow, it's beautiful!! Love the color and pattern. You have made my day by posting this!!

o

IT'S GORGEOUS!!!! OH MY OHHHHH! it is so beautifully Slow!

o

Just gorgeous! And the frog too!!! And I love your WHOLE YARD!!! It is just Blinged out!!! I didn't realize your Niche was so close to Matilda! She is just a show off in all her fern glory!!! I gotta plant some ferns in my yard!!!

o

Well thank y'all for that. BAMA - I've been wondering if we'd ever see you post again - missing you a lot. I forgot to mention that the flowers standing on the right are a gift from BAMA. They cover the electric cord nicely. Yeah, CALAM - my back yard is very small. Ever since I put the path of rocks in to the grotto, Toby does his business on it every day. It's as if he is kneeling at the altar. Bratty dawg! The blower takes care of that little cleaning problem - no breaking him of that habit.

o

Well, well lady. That is just beautiful. Aren't you glad you did this now? I must start mine soon. What is the little yellow thingy on the right side of the sink? A rubber ducky? I love it. You are so talented....

o

Well I'll second the Holy Dawg Snot and throw in a Holy Cow........I was able to see the cross on this post too.....LOVE IT................Perfect! I love your "water feature!" So cheerful and so full of color and fun fun fun! You are still amazing me woman!

o

What a way to start the day. Thank you, everyone. Y'all make me feel so good. The yellow thing is a big glass flower, helping to hide the black electric cord to the pump. I probably should have put that down the hole in the sink w/the pump tube. I'll probably change that later - when the pump needs cleaning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here