Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Back Yard Water Feature Beginnings

texaswild
15 years ago

Yep - after FLAG planted the idea in my head, I could hardly wait to acquire the parts. Visit to the surplus store got the sink, and my friend Becky gave me the old chandelier. This w/be near the toidy planter, all gussied up w/shards. Am thinking I'll incorporate it w/a half-circle reservoir to hold the water/pump, which will flow from the faucet. Over this w/be another mirror on the wall mosaic, and between the two w/hang from the eave a chandelier wired for outside. 'course this can't be started b/f I START cleaning house for next week's house guests, DD and Marty, her fiance. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HOLD MY HORSES BACK. DON'T START MY ENGINE!!!!

Water Feature Parts

Comments (84)

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Holy dawg snot Slowbedobie!!
    Love this!! Da-haaannng.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grouted but not dry. Still needs cleanup, if you look at the full size shot. W/do final cleaning and vinegar bath at set up next spring. Anxious to start the pedestal. I tell you, you just can't DO a LITTLE mosaicing - one thing adds to the addiction. Should be wrapping gifts!!!!
    Grouted sink bowl

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Along with the holy dawg snot, I'll throw in the cat's meow! You don't do anything small...........this is spectacular! Wonderful.....beautiful.........I LOVE IT!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I LOVE it!!! What a great pattern you did!! Reminds me of middle eastern or something! I sawed those hearts out myself Slow, and know how much you love your hearts!!!

• rchovey
    15 years ago

Another fantastic piece! LOVE IT! Don't worry about wrapping presents, heck you got 2 more weeks to wrap presents!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

The dark grout is fabulous. I love how it made the designs stand out. You are so artful! I can hardly wait to see the pedestal.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. Love your comments. Have started the brownish stems for the ivy, but had to stop and begin hemming FIVE PAIRS OF MEN'S PANTS today. My friend, who used to be my handyman has done so many favors for me w/o charging that I'm doing this as a little pay back. I HATE sewing men's clothing. Won't be able to finish the pedestal 'till after Christmas cuz I'm off to Dallas tomorrow, and have another all-day trip planned b/f the Christmas Dallas trip. I'll be one the road for awhile.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Thought I commented earlier but I must have been just drooling and forgot. This is one fantastic work of art! I think you are just so full of ideas and talent that it's scary. I love everything about this and cant' wait to see more, but I guess I'll have to. Have a safe trip!!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Wow, Slow.... I absolutely love that sink! The colors are so elegant!
    It's always a treat to see your pictures. I learn something every time.
    The sink will remind me of how well the reds and browns can set off the greens and blues.
    Sure like the way you did the border!

• joyy
    15 years ago

i love looking at the stuff you make. i'm always surprised with how much you're able to create and it's all beautiful, slow.

nice work!!! again!!!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Oh Betty, gosh that's so gorgeous. I love the colors and the design you chose. Just use gift bags for your Christmas stuff , they're so much faster than wrapping. I'm going to show my sister all your beautiful art when she comes. She needs a hobby, maybe your art will inspire her.
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I went out yesterday to work on the pedestal, but got sidetracked. While cleaning out closets recently, I found a "Merry Christmas" sign I'd bought ages ago, and glued it up. W/post a picture after grouting it today. KLINGER - gift bags have been suggested by DAISEY, but alas, they wouldn't match the decor at my DD's house. We are consumate decorators, right down to gifts under the tree. I wrapped 39 gifts, and am done w/that. Hope your sis becomes addicted to mosaics. I'm gonna try to get my sis involved when she comes to visit next month. She, also, needs a hobby.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FINALLY got the pedestal covered - grout tomorrow. Not what I'd planned, but I'm bored w/it. Next step is to mosaic the faucet, then have handyman take it outside where I can set it up. Hope I can find a small enough pump to make the water come out the faucet into the sink at a slow enough rate that it won't splash. Still too cold to work outside.
    Pedestal to sink

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Looks great !! Can't wait to see it all together!!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I LOVE that sink! It reminds me of the mexican painted sinks, you've done an awesome job!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

COOL COOL COOL! I was hoping we were going back to this one (I say we cause you know we're all standing behind you at the work bench as ya work) LOL I agree with Squirrelly, beautiful work!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Wouldn't Sam at the Hacienda Mosaico covet this one!!!heh heh! Just Kiddin', it is SUPER tho!!!

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Slow your work is amazing!! How cool!!! You have inspired and amazed me!!!! I love it, Cathy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. Anxious to get this bubbler outside and working. Spring is close - gonna be 70 here today, but still cold one day, and warm the next - too early yet to work outside.

• klinger
    15 years ago

Slow it turned out just beautifuly. I does remind me a bit of a mexican painted sink. Love all the colors you chose and the pattern. It'll look wonderful in your yard.
    Cindy

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Slow that is looking great .It has been in th 80 here for severle days .I work in my water ponds to day .I am also working on some mushrooms .

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Oh that is a beauty! Love it!!!!You are just so inspiring... so many of you here are, gets my juices flowing.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, thanks - y'alls' comments are so uplifting. Here's the set - grouted. Now to pick my handyman's brain for plumbing parts.
    Set - grouted

• texasfern
    15 years ago

What great colors! You do the funnest (is that a word?) stuff!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Slow, it's wonderful grouted. Did you use charcoal or black grout? I'd never noticed you grouted the taps too until this picture, they great. I love the colors and pattern,
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I washed out the empty container of the liquid charcoal colorant, then added some powder from the charcoal I bought ages ago from the Delphi collection of pigments to the mortar for grout. It looked pretty black while wet, and really brought out the design on the pedestal. Many thanks, y'all. Working on my next project - a Mexican folk art piece.

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

After the toidy, I think this is my favorite thing you have ever done! It is fantastic! The design and the colors are amazing! Its just wonderful Slow!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I can't express how much I love that sink!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how you hook it up for water. Did I see mosaiced faucets for that sink!? Could we see a bigger pic of the faucets...I'm just lovin this whole thing!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well y'all are making ME feel better about it. Can't thank y'all enough. Guess I've looked at it all winter, and am tired of it. Thanks for making my morning. I'll take a better picture of the faucet today when I take pictures of my present project - a folk art piece.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Don't fall over with surprize!I checked in here anc find out why I haven't heard from you every day. This is DROP DEAD WOWWIE! I love it. Will you come draw a design on my sink? I hate to say this but I agree with all the rest, this is your best to date. I love it. I am so lucky to have such talented friends. Great job...HUZZY!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All I got to say is GOOD GUUURRIEF! I was thinking of you about an hr. ago, and thinking "I gotta email FLAG", but had another idea for the piece I'm working on now. So, here's your email. LOL. You're NUTS if you think I'd attempt to draw anything for you, Lady - you're the one w/an art degree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

degree or not, you can put your design on anything of mine any time....I love this..I will be a copycat as soon as it gets warn. I finished my pagoda lantern except for grout. Too cold for that, so I am doing the red/purple gourd and going to attempt a 13" garden sphere.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Scuz us folks - we only live 20 min. apart. FLAG - funny you should mention the sphere. I worked on one during the night - in my mind. Want a huge beach ball to form the wire mesh around. This is one of my spring/summer projects - real close to the top of the list.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As you can see, this faucet needs another coat of grout. I was trying to keep the wet mortar from adhereing the handles so they would turn, and wiped too much off. And, too, I was sick of working on this project and slouched over the faucet. Coulda done better. W/fill it in at installation.
    faucet

• texasfern
    15 years ago

This is truly the best, I have to agree.
    I need to move north.

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Slow U are amazing!!! This is just TOO COOL!!!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! WOW..................Cathy

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

I shoulda known.. all you have to do is miss a few days, and you find out Slow has mosaiced the entire town since she finished her house. ROFL

It's awesome the sink, pedestal, the faucet. Oh my.. yep best to date and that is quite an accomplishment !!!

You are my idol. I could have shot your teacher in PV.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, MER. Y'all are so nice. Gonna set it up next week - it's suddenly WARM here.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This is SUPER!!! L.O.V.E. it!!!! DH has actually kept our old toilet for me(Will Miracles never cease???)(just replaced it for a low flow) It is a lovely green...like the tub still is!lol! And the sink was...anyhoo, I GOTTA show him this!!! He'll be emailing you to come do ours!!!haha!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see it all together! Oh Calamity, you'll LOVE this pic! I've had it for awhile, can't even remember where it's from, just saved it for inspiration.
    {{!gwi}}
    It's even a fountain!!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Slow, I can't wait to see this all set up. Your handles look charming, I'd have never thought of doing them too. Another great job. Calamity get going and start mosaicing, you've turned into a slacker , hehe.
    Cindy

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, Slow! What can one say about yet ANOTHER wonderful eclectic Slow project! You have a style all your own of color and whimsey, and that back yard (which already is)is going to be even more colorful, fun and FABULOUS with this addition.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally in place, but I didn't quite get the pump tube hidden in back - still some tweaking to be done. The yard man pulled out too many of the plantings. The large clay pot holds outdoor ferns, and one fiddlehead is showing it's face. When I get around to watering, it w/explode, and when the other ferns/grasses come back, it'll look better. Glad to be finished w/this sucker.
    Sink water feature in place

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, you KNOW you're getting a Double Holy Dawg Snot for this!!
    Slow, it's beautiful!! Love the color and pattern. You have made my day by posting this!!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

IT'S GORGEOUS!!!! OH MY OHHHHH! it is so beautifully Slow!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous! And the frog too!!! And I love your WHOLE YARD!!! It is just Blinged out!!! I didn't realize your Niche was so close to Matilda! She is just a show off in all her fern glory!!! I gotta plant some ferns in my yard!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well thank y'all for that. BAMA - I've been wondering if we'd ever see you post again - missing you a lot. I forgot to mention that the flowers standing on the right are a gift from BAMA. They cover the electric cord nicely. Yeah, CALAM - my back yard is very small. Ever since I put the path of rocks in to the grotto, Toby does his business on it every day. It's as if he is kneeling at the altar. Bratty dawg! The blower takes care of that little cleaning problem - no breaking him of that habit.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Well, well lady. That is just beautiful. Aren't you glad you did this now? I must start mine soon. What is the little yellow thingy on the right side of the sink? A rubber ducky? I love it. You are so talented....

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

Well I'll second the Holy Dawg Snot and throw in a Holy Cow........I was able to see the cross on this post too.....LOVE IT................Perfect! I love your "water feature!" So cheerful and so full of color and fun fun fun! You are still amazing me woman!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What a way to start the day. Thank you, everyone. Y'all make me feel so good. The yellow thing is a big glass flower, helping to hide the black electric cord to the pump. I probably should have put that down the hole in the sink w/the pump tube. I'll probably change that later - when the pump needs cleaning.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville