Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wishdish

Mosaic Turtle

wishdish
15 years ago

Here's a turtle I made. My son gave me the turtle for my birthday and its shell had a design on it - you know, with separate sections. Since my DH has been encouraging me to use up some of my collection of plates, I decided to use a different plate for each section. There are no repeats. I'll bet you'll see some familiar ones! The picture makes the shell look kind of flat. It actually has many curves, like a real shell. (I don't know how big the pictures should be. Please tell me if they're too big. I am relatively new at this.)

Comments (19)

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Your turtle is so pretty! I love that you used all different plates. So interesting and so much to look at. I love turtles! Great job.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

What a clever idea and it turned out sooooo beautiful!
    I really, really like this....great job!!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Your son definitely knew what to give you to spark your creativity! That is super cute! Love the idea of using a different plate design for each section.

Pat

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Pix are perfect size. The turtle is So very pretty. I like the use of plates. Just love your turtle.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Wish! That turtle is really wonderful! I've been wondering how to use all the plates I've collected. What a grand idea. He turned out GREAT!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Great idea to use up some plates!! Very pretty!!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Wow! I love your turtle! The plates are perfect.. and good for you for jumping in to use them! I've not tried them yet... but maybe now will get brave! :)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Beautiful !!Something you will always treasure because your son gave it to you. He will love it as you made it even better. Beautiful coloring all around. Great job! Jan

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That is so neat I like it a lot.

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Good job!! I like the way you used the plates. What a great looking turtle!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Love your turtle, she/he looks so lifelike and the different plates all blend together to make a perfect shell. Great cutting .

Just love your turtle, way to go. Enjoy forever. What kind of material is she??

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

One of the coolest turtles I've seen.Love all the diffirent sections..beautiful job!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Your turtle is adorable. The curves must have been a real
    pain. You made them so perfectly!

• wishdish
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the nice comments. Mermaid - the turtle is colored concrete. It is SOOO heavy, even before mosaic. It was really nice without mosaic, very realistic. And Lovemosaics, yes the curves were a pain, but also more so the contours, which don't really show up in the picture. I'm still learning how to get pieces even closer together. We have a pedestal in our family room that my DH wants me to make something for. I've been dragging my feet on getting something done, so yesterday morning when I got up, I saw my turtle sitting atop it. My DH put it there!! His way of hinting to get a move on the pedestal item!

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I love how he turned out! I love the detail on the turtle, he does look so realistic. Now you've given him the most beautiful shell! Great job!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Great job on that one. I recognize a couple of the plates. Whatcha gonna put on that pedestal?

• Cheryl Thornberg
    8 years ago

Hello! This is so awesome! Where did you buy the turtle?

• Mermaid
    8 years ago

Hi Cheryl, I didn't make this, scrolling back up it looks like a gal named wishdish made back in 08. I can't remember her real name, but it's made out of concrete, the turtle, and she used plates. See if you can scroll up to the top, and click on her avatar, and try to send her a message. Good Luck.. It is so adorable

Sponsored