Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted Strandboard Substrate

Posted by gardencrone (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 31, 09 at 13:29

Duh. Well, I thought I would ask BEFORE I started....but I couldn't wait. My DH made a box to contain our lawn mower (not enough room in the garage with my junk) out of strandboard which he got from the dumpsters at construction sites. He painted two coats of KILZ inside, outside and edges and I am doing a mosaic on it. I am using thinset and then will grout it. Do you think the strandboard will be a problem? Any thought. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted Strandboard Substrate

I hate to be a bearer of bad news, GARDEN, but strandboard is made up of wood chips and glue. You preparations w/save it for awhile, but eventually the board w/expand in the weather. I bought a 4X8 sheet of the OSB yesterday for an inside art project - making/mosaicing a frame for a watercolor my DGD painted. Your thinset is the proper adhesive for outside. You'll get some time, I imagine, to enjoy your work, but it won't last a long time. I mosaiced a cedar pedestal, using thinset, about four yrs. ago, and it is showing no sign of deterioration, but I wouldn't use anything other than cedar for outside wood projects.

o

I would go get a pc of cement board to screw on it, or screw some wire lathe on it, and skim coat itwith mortar/concrete, then mosaic...would that work for you?

o

Well, thank you both...! I think I asked the question even tho I knew the answer...just in case I was wrong and hoping against hope that I was wrong. Calamity...great idea to put cement board on it and slowmedown I think you are right. I will have some time with it and then like a rose or an iris it will be gone. Lesson learned, but I have started and will hope it will last long enough to enjoy the result. Great thing is, I have not worked with flooring tile etc. so I am learning a lot. Having fun. Taking lots of advil cuz I guess I am out of shape.....lol. What a surprise. Next time I will make sure I don't put lots of work into a sinking ship, but I appreciate your words, cuz next time I will know (for sure) better. Many thanks.
Katherine

o

We're all learning here. :)
I'd love to see a picture of your Work in Progress!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here