Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
concrete question

Posted by kraftkrazy (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 12:11

i have a friend that has a big concrete fountain that she wants to mosaic. but, she recently discovered a leak in the basin and she asked me how to repair it. i havent worked with concrete but told her i knew where to go to get answers, so i am asking you guys. her brother in law told her to coat the inside with mastic but i didnt think that was right, so i told her to use either quickcrete or thinset, but i am not so sure i am right either. does anyone here have a fix thats not too complicated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: concrete question

Do not use mastic .I do not know how to fix the leakut yes ust the thinset.

o

Depending on how big the leak is. I use the spray on undercoating for cars and spray the inside of mine and that stops most leaks. There is also a repair product at Lowes that is like an expoxy and it seals, even underwater. She can also pur a good coat of thinset all over the inside and then seal with the spray on undercoating. I use this stuff a lot for birdbaths and inside pots to waterproof. It can definitely be fixed. I can get the name of the product at Lowes but it will be in the morning as it is in my studio and it is dark and rainy here. Hope this helps. As everyone has told you, adhere the tess with thinset.

o

thanks so much for the help, i will pass the info on so she can get it sealed before she decides if she is going to mosaic it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here