Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm back and have a question

Posted by texasfern (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 15, 08 at 12:10

Alot has been happening around here, I will put some details on the other side, but for now I have a question.
I am doing some mosaics on old fence wood, cedar.
I want to seal the wood for mosaicing since I would like to offer them for indoors and outdoors. I don't want to use thinset unless I absolutely have to.
I tried some deck stuff, and it made the wood dark and left a residue.
I would appreciate suggestions, especially cheap ones.
Missed you guys! \
Now I have to try and catch up!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm back and have a question 1

Heres a picture of the piece. The colored strip is cut from a cookie tin. I want to create a multimedia piece.
Cedar Wall Art

o
RE: I'm back and have a question

I like your colored strip, it will look great on the wood. As for sealing ? I'll leave that for the pros. It would be interesting to know what you might use for sealing.

o

Hey, TEX: Don't quite understand what you mean by "cut from a cookie tin", and don't understand why you don't want to use thinset. If I were doing that piece, I'd spread thinset on and glue my pieces down, then grout w/thinset. The blue pedestal w/the turbine on top in my album "My Queendom" is a cedar post. It was painted, and I used thinset to glue/grout - about three yrs. ago. Being cedar, it's gonna be there long after I move to Heaven. So, IF I were to advise, it'd be no need to seal - go ahead and thinset your tess to the wood. Anxious to watch this.

o

All I can tell you from experience is DO NOT use a deck sealer like Thompson's Waterseal or like that. It has something in it that reacts with the thinset and eventually all will fall off. I found this out the hard way. If you wish to seal, use KILZ latex and seal the wood. Since it is cedar, it probably isn't necessary. You could do a slurry of thinset and paint it on or just thinset to adhere directly to the wood. I like your idea of mixed media and the cookie tin piece is awesome. I hope this has helped? Slow and I swear by cedar.

o

Thanks ya'll. I'll go with the thinset. I did use a waterseal on this one, so I'm just going to paint it and put more tin on it.
I have two others I have put together and will mosaic those, hopefully in the next couple of days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here