Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecdiskin_gw

stained glass install question

ecdiskin
12 years ago

Seems like someone on this forum might be able to advise. I've found some beautiful stained glass for my backsplash install. They are planks of varying widths and lengths, stacked and already on mesh sheets-12" x 12". My query is about dealing with this thin, fragile material. I've done tile and marble in past but this is much thinner and I wonder if I use a regular thinset --even with a fine toothed trowel...will it push into space between tiles? there's so little depth that it seems there's no margin for that b/c of course i need to fill those spaces with grout. Also, I've read that i should use a glass blade for the wet saw and a slower speed..though the saw i have is that diy version--one speed only and i'm not even sure how to change out blade. Would you recommend renting a better saw with appropriate blade, or even just using nippers? I want the cuts straight but the tile is thin enough to be nipped. any advice appreciated!

Comments (2)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I would maybe be able to advise if you had a pic of the actual tiles/area, as it is I have a few ideas about this project, like trying silicone adhesive for the glueing part, and am not sure what thickness the glass is so unless more info, I don't know what would be the best way to cut it is.

• ecdiskin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice...all good ideas and I actually found one video that had some good tips...for one, I shouldn't use a notched trowel at all b/c with translucent tile you see all those groves...I'm working up a grouted sample now. Now i just need to be sure the color of these tiles are just right. Good luck on your project too!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County