Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katishooked

Mesh

katishooked
14 years ago

For those members that use fiberglass mesh, where do you get it? I went to Lowes the other day to get some. I couldn't find only a 6" square piece, so asked an assciate for it. He took me to the paint dept. and showed me fiberglass cloth???????????? I knew that wasn't what I needed. I did get a piece of fiberglass screening. Will this be ok? Did find some at Witsend Mosaics, but would like to find it locally in case I do a large project. Right now I'm doing Butterflies, geckos flowers etc for the wall by my patio. Appreciate any help on this subject. Thanks

Kat

Comments (11)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

I also bought the screening cuz the cloth was so danged expensive I about flipped out. Our teacher last year in PV brought the same screening for us to work on so our projects w/be portable back home. It worked just fine. If you recall my project turned out very large, so I just cut around the edges of the part I packed in my suitcase, then when I got home I used thinset to adhere it to my board, then continued gluing. I highly recommend the fiberglass screening - very inexpensive.

• silvamae
    14 years ago

One of the many reasons I enjoy this forum so much - thanks for the info. I am out of mosaic mesh so I am going to try the fiberglass screening.

• katishooked
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow. I knew I wanted the fiber glass. Was hoping this would be ok.. I'll post pix later.

• daisyme
    14 years ago

Always reading...Always enjoying...always learning.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

OK, how are you adhering your glass to the fiberglass screening? This is something I've not tried yet. I've always just put it right to the substrate with either thinset or GE11 silicone. If it's screen wouldn't your adhesive go right through the screen?

• katishooked
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok this is what I have learned from others who have done mosaics this way.(my first attempt). I have my pattern on copy paper, place wax paper over it, then the mesh goes on top of wax paper. I am using mac glue. I put just a dab or two on the back of tess and then place it according to my pattern. I let my glue dry overnight then turn it over to peel off the wax paper. The glue doesn't stick to it, and the pattern is reusable. This is as far as I have gotten. I have read that you trim the mesh as close to the tess as you can get, then put your thinset on your substrate, then place your tess on it. Let thinset dry, grout and seal. Folks please step in with anything I have left out. Here are two I have finished.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

KAT: You sound like a teacher - PERFECT instructions. Only thing I'd add is that when you place your screen onto the thinset, be sure and use something to press it down firmly, so that you're sure your tiles are receiving the adhesive. EMT: Using the mesh is for convenience. For example - portability - if you're making a large project and want to sit while you work and not have to stand or stoop at your project, use the mesh in small pieces - then you're able to put it all together - sorta like a patchwork quilt, so to speak. KAT - very pretty projects, I might add. I've had a lizard ready to grout for ages. Sure like yours and the butterfly.

• cajunlady68
    14 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. It always helps to have a visuable aid when your new to a new hobby.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Thanks for the instructions and clarification!

• katishooked
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Slow for the input. I love the colorful lizards I see that artists have done. So had to have a couple. I decided to use mesh mainly because there will be several pieces for my wall. This way I can group them as I want them.

Kat

• texasfern
    14 years ago

And yet another new trick for an ole dog!
    I love this place!