Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Crash Glass?

Posted by daisyme (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 0:58

Is "crash glass" the laminated glass with the film in the middle? I'm hoping so, as a friend has some of that for me. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I am so hoping this is the glass everyone is using for their wonderful projects.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Crash Glass?

I may be wrong but from what I've read crash glass does not have the film in middle. Others who it will chime in soon I expect.

o

Is TG (glass without the film that holds it together)preferred for mosaicing and why? Does it look different than tempered glass when it's adhered? I keep reading only to use side windows (TG) but it seems that the glass that holds together would work well. Why do people say to use tempered glass?

o

You're talking about the glass in the windshield that has the film. It's called laminated glass. You only want the window glass. It breaks in very small pieces, and isn't sharp. You can break it by hand after the whole window is broken. Go to your local auto repair, or glass shop that does auto repairs, or an auto salvage yard and get it for FREE. It's very addictive to mosaic with. You can put all kinds of things under it. Check out the following site. She's the Queen of TG mosaicing.
Mosaic artist

o

Thank you so much. Now I know that I need tempered glass, not laminated. I knew there was a difference, but thought maybe I could use either for maybe different applications. RATZ, but I'll go to a salvage yard and see what I can find!

o

Some glass shops will give it to you as well.
My mother replaced her patio door and they cut the wrong size and being the good ole girl she is, she told them to leave it. They just toss that stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here