Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

First project with new exchange tessarae :)

ladyronnie
15 years ago

Here's what I am doing with some of the wonderful stuff I received from MMQC and MERMAID! All the stained glass, vitreous tile, broken china, and metallic tile on this so far came from these generous ladies.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, TINA AND LINDA!

The cross is cast iron, about 10 1/2" x 14 1/2" (I don't remember exact dimensions.)

Thank you to SLOW for her inspiration on this project. I have a pic of your bathroom vanity as my muse for this :)

Comments (37)

• rchovey
    15 years ago

Great start! Now you've given me inspiration to do something with my cross (thank you again!). This is going to be a great piece!

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful! Definitely shows the influence from slow! How fun to already be using your new toys!

Pat

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Humbly I bow. This is absolutely beyond my ability to describe. Oh, how I LOVE it already, and it inspires me on my next project that's bubbling in my head. BTW, I was wondering the other day about your next Riana project??????

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Oh how PERFECT Lady. You would have thought to put all of those colors and tiles together with the cross and come out with AWESOME!!!

Love those pearls in there, they really add to the beauty!! Can't wait to see what you do next. Pass the popcorn

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

AWESOME PROJECT!!! I wanted so bad to see what all of you did with the new found treasures! I asked to see them!! LOVE THIS POST!!!! can't wait to see more! too cool!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Where's the popcorn??????????????????

• texasfern
    15 years ago

This is going to be an eyepopper.
    More pictures please!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here you go, this week's progress:

The little pile in upper right, and the green tiles in upper right, aren't glued down. Everything else is. The little red triangles around the cross in the previous photo will go on, just have them set aside for now. I don't like the crash glass around the yellow circle, but I have an idea for it. I keep putzing along with this one!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, that's looking sooooooo good, LADY. Love your ideas.

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Covered with tess except for about three square inches in the upper right section. I should finish that today or tomorrow and will post a pic when it's done. I've got a bit of a setback...I've gotten nervous about the Weldbond because I can still pop pieces off if I pry on them much. Must be related to the plastic substrate. So the last section of tess I glued down, I used GEII instead. That was three days ago, and it must have gone bad, 'cause it's still sticky. So I have to pull all those pieces off, clean them off, and just trust the Weldbond. I figure I'll keep the grout a little on the soft side so I don't lose anything. Any thoughts on this?

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I had trouble w/Aleen's glue yesterday - think it has to do w/the humidity. Weldbond takes awhile to set, especially on humid days, so be patient.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

That's why I'm such a die hard GE Marine silicone fan, dries in 10 minutes! I'm still learning tho...it seems like everything I do is got some little hiccup in/on it! For example, my frogs feet have to be pulled off and mortared on as the silicone I used is too flexible for that particular job.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

You inspire me. Your progress is fascinating to a newbie like me. You rock.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Lady , sorry for the setback. don't you just hate that??

I can't wait to see the next installment. It looks fabulous. Pass the popcorn, hope the humidity comes down some for you, that ought to help.

What did you glue the cast iron cross with?? That's probably the heaviest item on your project.

I'm on the look for a cool cross for my sister for Christmas. I want one that I can mosaic though...

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got sidelined on this project...for a GOOD reason... The guy doing our drywall finishing is going to finish not only the living room and our bedroom, but MY CRAFT ROOM as well! Today I had to move everything out but the furniture so he could get to the walls. I carried 13 banana boxes of stuff out of there!!! I had no idea there was that much stuff in there. I told him, it will be like Christmas when I can finally unpack all my boxes and put stuff away. And that's not counting all the stuff that has never even made it into there! (And much of it that won't,just cause there's not enough room.) Soooo...I'll get back to it as soon as I can. Hope to get paint on the walls by next weekend! WooHoooooo!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

How exciting for you! I've been unpacking stuff the last couple days and it IS just like christmas! Have fun!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH OH OH!!! Pics of another craft room coming!!!! YEAH!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Ok, Question. I loved the little red flecks you originally put in the indents in the sides of the cross. From the first time I saw your post it was one of my favorite things you'd done on the piece. Have you taken them out? Permanently? I vote to put them back! LOL

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi DAISY. They're not permanently gone. They will definitely go back in. I liked how they made the cross stand out, and they had some symbolism as well. I just took them out when I glued the cross down, and haven't put them back yet.

If you all could please pray for our drywall friend and his wife...he called today, and his wife is in the hospital and will have an angiogram tomorrow due to some severe chest pain. We really love these people, never mind that I really want the drywall job to be completed. Thanks so much!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

many well wishes, along with a strong prayer, to your friend.
    it's a very sad thing to have something unexpected happen, out of the blue.
    stay strong for them and for yourself.

Becky .(*_*).

• daisyme
    15 years ago

My prayers go out too.
    I'm really glad to hear you the red is in! I saw you hadn't replaced it with something else, and hoped it would reappear. Great!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Sending prayers and healing vibes out to your drywaller and his wife...hope the angiogram goes well. Sometimes an early detection of any heart problems can be a lifesaver!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I finished the gluing last night despite the mess in my craft room!

A couple questions for your opinions:
    That orange swirl in the lower right...should that come out?

The pinky irridescent just below it...should that come out?

That crash glass and yellow circle (former earring)...should that come out?

Those are the spots I have issues with. I could paint them, and if I really mucked it up, then take them out and replace them. Other than those things, I really like this myself. The bright white chunks in the upper right are 1/4" mirror.

What do you think?

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Ronnie, it's stunning and you don't need to change a thing. But if you DID want to change out the crashglass for something darker it might weight it a little more evenly at the bottom right. And, if I did that I'd take out the earring if it's bothering you.....The piece is wonderful as it is. I'd leave the rest of it as it is for sure and hesitate to even answer your concerns because it's so beautiful.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

GOODGRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T TOUCH IT, PERIOD!!! It's wonderful and I LOVE it.

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Well... I wouldn't change ANY of it! I love that there is so much to see. That my eyes move from place to place looking at different things. I think it's wonderful just the way it is!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

I love it! So happy to see what you guys have done with your exchange stuff! What a beautiful job! I'm so inspired with the cross stuff you guys are doing! Great post!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grouted tonight! Pics tomorrow hopefully!

• rchovey
    15 years ago

Roni, did you ever post a post-grout picture of this project? I was thinking about it a few days ago because I have started a project with the cross you sent me in the wonderful tess exchange! I've had the beginning of a plan laid out for months but just started gluing on Friday.... I'm such a slug..
    I really like what you did with this piece!

Ramona

• cathyscache
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!!! You did a wonderful job!!! LOve it...

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know, I don't know if I did! I'll look for it and add it to this thread! Funny, I don't come over here nearly as often anymore, and it's always a surprise to see a thread I started months or years ago pop up!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the only picture I have of it right now. This was taken just after I finished it, in early morning sunlight outdoors. I've tried to get an indoor pic this evening, but it's too dark and the flash washes it out. This doesn't show it's true colors very well, but here tis:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I take that back. It shows its colors nicely, it's just it adds that gold glow to everything! Anyway, I'm done.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

You l'il heifer!!! Doncha go forgetting us, girlie. That turned out beautifully. Have you done anymore wire mesh sculptures?

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

this piece turned out BEAUTIFUL!

• ladyronnie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just that dog sculpture that I did shortly after I finished the strawberry, and I've never creted it yet.

• Mermaid
    14 years ago

Oh Lady.. I'm drooling over this. It turned out FANTASTIC and so spiritual. You really outdid yourself. Was that Ole blue in the background??

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living