Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcpommom

WIP Box for Daughter

gcpommom
15 years ago

My daughter's birthday is next week, so I thought I'd try to make this little box for her. It is approx. 4-5" square. I don't usually work very fast, but I did manage to finish the lid today. The flower took me about 3 hours to make, the purple took another 2-3 hrs (told you I'm slow)! Of course, there were interruptions (aren't there always???)

It is a peony, I have them in my garden. I lost some of the outline of the petals as I went along. I need to flip over some of the green glass leaves; a couple of them are irridescent side up, and after looking at the pic, I don't like that side up. Not sure what to do with the sides yet, hopefully can play with that tomorrow before work.

This is for the DD that is ill. I hope the box cheers her up. It is the first gift I have made for anyone, and I hope it turns out really good, since it is for her. I'm using her favorite colors, pink and purple--she's going to be 22, but she's still a "princess" at heart!

Comments (31)

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, forgot to mention that the lid isn't totally done yet, have to do the lip/edge (I ordered some of those 3/8" colorfusion crystal glass tiles in pink for that part, so it will have to wait for now.)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Looks great so far! I bet she will just Love it!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful box. That rose looks three demensional and almost real! Great work. I can't wait to see it completed.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I love it! Beautiful flower,love the colors my GD favorites too!!Can't wait to see finished box. A lovely keepsake for your daughter! Jan

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

So pretty! I really, really like it! Those are my favorite colors too!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Beautiful peony! I agree about the irridescent tiles...they just don't seem right with the flower...it is going to be a beautiful gift! Great idea with for the lip with the color infusion tiles!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Oh my what a beautiful peony. IMO you have caught the right shading and shape on your lovely little box for dd.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

Wow how impressive! Love the colors and the movement of the pieces. You have a great eye for flowers. Can not wait to see it finished here :)

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much, I'm glad you like it. The flower was a pita to make, it was time consuming cutting all those skinny pieces of glass.

What's funny is that when I got the little box, I sanded off the purple paint on the bottom edging, planning on changing it. Then when I decided to use it for my DD, I ended up using the exact same shade of purple glass. Wish I'd left it alone! The stand it sits on is the same color purple.

My computer is on the fritz, so I had to work on that all day, then go to work, so I got absolutely nothing done on this today. Oh well, maybe I can get back to it on Friday.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

GOODGRIEF, GIRLIE: This looks like a Monet painting. Your shading is absolutely perfect, and I LOVE the colors. This is really beautifully done. Anxious to see it finished.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Ditto Slow, I had to look twice to see that it was a mosaic!
    Very nice work!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Wow, I agree looks just like a painting, those are some of my favorite colors and you got that flower PERFECT!! awesome..

R U done yet?? LOL. Your DD will be so happy with it and I bet it makes her feel better

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys. No, haven't even worked on it, my computer died, and we've been trying to fix it. On son's computer right now, trying to get my work done.

The tiles I ordered to finish the box with have arrived, however, so between working Sat and Sun, hopefully I will find time to work on it.

Thanks again, I'm glad you like it.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Holy crap!...sorry, but really! did you just nip that?
    Amazing woman! beautiful work!

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again! Love: I did just nip, if you nip real skinny pieces off a strip of glass, it kinda curves like that, it's really quick and easy to nip them, but time consuming to glue them all down!

I finished the lid tonight, started on the box sides. Will post some pics tomorrow after work.

My DD always looks at and gives me encouragement on my WIP's, so it has been really hard to not show this to her!

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

WOW i love the flower on the top. You are doing a great job.

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Whew, it's been a crazy week, but I managed to get 2 sides of the box done, hope to finish it by Friday so I can grout it. Wasn't sure how to do the sides, so I tried a few things, and liked this best.
    I am stumped on grout color. I don't think I want anything too light or too dark. I've not used light pink or purple before, any suggestions for grout?

Not sure what to do with the edges of the box; the edge on the lid is very narrow, thought about using beads there? Oh, and I never flipped over the green leaves, because I can't get them off! They're glued down tight! Oh well.

The box came with a little stand that screws on to the bottom. It was already purple, so I may just leave that as is.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Your work is soooooooooo neat. This is a gorgeous box, GC. She'll L.O.V.E. it. Be proud of it. If you don't add beads to the edge, you could paint it purple. Add the beads after grouting, if they're tiny.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Really beautiful!! She will love it ,I'm sure!! Hope she is doing better & can enjoy her birthday! Jan

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the way it has come out. The colors are awesome and the flowers are great! Your DD will love it!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oooo, I LOVE those pink tiles!! It's ALL very beautiful!
    I think a light gray grout will look really nice with all that pink. Great job on this, she is going to LOVE it!!

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, glad you like....Cindi, I was thinking about gray, too; I can't figure out what else I would use. Not white; black or dark gray would be too stark a contrast; and I've never experimented with other colors (purple, etc), so I don't want to start on this one!

Almost done with side 3, need to finish side 4 and have grouted by Saturday. But I worked today, I work tonight, all day Friday, and Sat morning, so it's gonna be some late night mosaicing for me!

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I grouted tonight. Her party is tomorrow. And grout bleed pretty much destroyed the flower and all that hard work! I am so sad.

Any suggestions to perk it up a bit? Do you think making the grout darker would make the flower look lighter again?

Oh well, it is still pretty, but UGH! I still have so much to learn!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Stop it!!! It's BEAUTIFUL, and the top still looks like a painting. I LOVE this box! Really like the little stand too - made a real difference in the whole. You should be so proud of this, GC. Why do we DO this to ourselves??? What a wonderful gift - give it w/pride. You did a superb job, and I wouldn't change the grout - it's perfect.

• gcpommom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Slow. I'm not trying to be hard on myself, really, I am just surprised at how different it looks grouted.
    I'm not sure it's grout bleed, actually. My husband says that when working with glass, grout blocks the light that was reflecting around and on each piece, so it just looks different, darker, after grouting.

Here is another attempt at the pics, I used a new program, and they didn't enlarge as usual in my other post.

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

it's a beautiful project/gift.
    if you were hoping to retain the simple look of the pink and blue tiles, in the sweet colors, before grouting, you need to know that that's the charm of the grout..
    it finishes the work.
    it's all secured together with the grout and those who do mosaics, all soon realize it changes, after the grout.
    it does a finalization process that you should be proud of.

to keep the sweetness of the pinks, like I think you're talking about, would mean to work in a different type of material.
    fabric, paper, or something that doesn't take the grout, or is that what I read from this?

it's beautiful!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

IT's beautiful, I agree with what Slow and everyone says, we are just too hard on ourselves, and this is so so pretty. Your daughter is going to be thrilled.

You might want to put a grout sealer on the box like tile lab and that might put some more shine to it, but other than that it is truly lovely and I bet all of your daughter's friends are going to be jealous!!

Great job

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Great explanation, SEA, of the purpose and results of grout. Definitely ditto MER's suggestion of the glossy sealer. It deepens the grout and makes it nicer. Great job.

• rchovey
    15 years ago

You did a great job! She will love it. I know I would!

Blessings
    Ramona

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oh, this turned out soooo beautiful! That stand is perfect! I think grout softened it...made it look more like a painting. I def agree about getting the glossy grout sealer. I think you did a fantastic job on this...and you should feel proud when you give it to your DD!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Only thing I know about mosaics,I learned here. I think anyone would love this box!! It's beautiful. Your DD is going to have a wonderful birthday & be so pleased!! The stand is a wonderful finishing touch. I love it!!! Jan

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville