Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Need mosaic advice

marquest
16 years ago

I want to make this. I have brought two types of pots I think are options for the skirt. The pots are 36" so they are big. The finished ornament will be 4' tall. I am going to invert a large flower pot and the bottom would be up around where I would make the waist and chest.

Which of these options do you think would be better and what type of glue should I use to attach the tiles? I really do not want them to start to come off since it will be outside and it will be alot of work.

1. A terracotta pot

2. A plastic pot. It is very rigid. I can stand on it and it does not bend.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I'm partial to terracotta. You will need to seal it first.

On the plastic, I'm not sure, but it may give with the changes in temp.

Maria

• lisa_4
    16 years ago

Wow, she's pretty. Um, am I right that it's a lady statue of some sort? I think this would be a great project, but I woudn't try plastic if I were you. Plastic expands and contracts with high and low temps. Your mosaic might just pop right off if it's kept outdoors.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

shrty is right, terra cotta is the way to go, sealed well and use thinset mortar for adhesive.

• marquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you both for such a fast response.

Yes it is a garden lady. I am sorry the pic is bad I found it in a magazine.

I will go with the terracotta. It was my first thought but then I thought the plastic might be sturdier.

What do you think would be best the GE II or something else? I will not leave it out in the winter.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Definitely thinset for your adhesive. GEII (in my experience!) is fine for adhering glass to non-porous surfaces outdoors, but for porous like terra cotta I agree with nicethyme and shrty - use thinset.

Pat

• marquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Again, thank you. You all are so a freindly and helpful bunch here.

I am always lurking and ooooohh and aaahhh at the work you are do simply amazing.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I saw this beautiful lady on HGTV once and fell in love with it .I think it was in New Mexico but not sure.afamily bought it as a gift for his wife ...lucky lady.I would love to make one someday but have not found right pot's yet.Definetly thin set and sanded grout for outside show us when you get her done.Good Luck Annie

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

You are all in for a treat when Klinger gets her new computer, nuff said, stay tuned!!!
    Marquest, are you using wire mesh to form her? This is very appealing to me as a "project I wanna do" must add to the list, hmmm, project#792????!!!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I see you are in PA, so don't know how terra cotta holds up there in winter. Have you thought of using your pot as a mold for concrete? As CALAM mentioned, the wire mesh and concrete method - known to this group as the "Riana" method - is a sure thing to hold up anywhere. If you use the pot, you have the best advice already - modified thinset for adhesive, and I suggest you use it for the grout as well. Lovely project.

• marquest
    Original Author
    16 years ago

slowmedown, I am not going to leave it outside in the winter I think that would be a disaster with my winters. Although the kind of work I will be putting into it you are right I should do concrete.

She is going to have a lot of pink and baby blue I demolished a 60s bathroom. LOL!!! I have also been collecting tile from closeouts for a couple of years I am ready to give it a try. I have done a lot of tile work inside but nothing for outside.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Slow's right, the Riana method would be perfect and not very hard to do. It should still be light enough to take in. I'm in Michigan and I leave almost nothing out but that's the one way that might hold up

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Riana's method is for harsh winter. Here's a link to her photo's. If I had to bring ANYTHING in for the winter, I wouldn't make it. No room anywhere in house or workshop. Take a look at Riana's garden. This method is very easy, and one doesn't have to depend on things purchased to have a mosaic subject.
    Riana's Garden

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I have two projects outside that I left there all winter, that had that bathroom tile you are talking about and IT CRACKS, CHIPS, FALLS OFF!! WAILING!!! SOBBING!!! Bummed Out!! That's why I'm switching to tiles that can handle outside, for things being left out all winter. The concrete method is just a thin skim coat of it, so it's not too hard to do, just time consuming. But worth it!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!