Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

One more ready for the kiln

toomuchglass
9 years ago

I love working with glass . I love being able to go to the senior center & working with their volunteer teachers and learning new stuff. I made this .... it's just too big for my kiln ,so this is what it looks like before being melted. ~~~~

I have no place to put anything I make , I just love making stuff ! By the way ---- what do you do with all your home made treasures ??

Comments (9)

• loribee2
    9 years ago

Oh how pretty! I'd love to see it after it's been baked.

What do I do with the things I make? I sell my pieces on Etsy, and in person at about 6 craft shows a year. Some of the shows I do are really cool music festivals. I pick shows nearby because half the fun is seeing people I know--I run into people I haven't seen in years. Yes, I bought a pop-up canopy, tables and display items, which was another fun project--figuring out how to set up my booth and make it pretty. And another hobby of mine is photography, so my on-line store gives me things to take pictures of. I really enjoy every aspect of this craft.

I don't make enough money to earn a living from it. Honestly, it pretty much just pays for my habit. I'm a junkie for beads and glass and other supplies. For me, the best part isn't really the money but trading the stuff I've made for cash that I can use to buy more stuff. LOL I also love the added dimension of considering a price-point when I'm making things. It's how I came up with the idea of garden bricks. I look for mosaics I can make in the price point of $20 and under, as that's a popular dollar amount for festivals and craft shows. The more expensive things I have more success selling on Etsy. But the whole aspect of selling has stretched my creativity in a way I wouldn't if I were just giving away to friends.

My yard is already filled with the things I've made. I have room for more, but I am dangerously close to being considered a "crazy mosaic lady" LOL

Have you considered selling? Holiday craft shows are the easiest ones to start with as they are indoors and often they'll even provide the tables for you. I love working them. People will come up and ask how I make things and I'm more than happy to share. Talking about the hobby is as fun as making and selling things (as you can tell from this long-winded post) haha.

Sorry you asked? LOL

This post was edited by loribee2 on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 1:12

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    9 years ago

Very pretty. I can't wait to see it when it's done. Great answer, Lori. I am the same way with container gardening. I absolutely cannot squeeze one more pot in my yard. And that's saying a lot since I have an acre lol!

Patty S.

• nicethyme
    9 years ago

so cute

• silvamae
    9 years ago

That little skunk is darling. I will be involved in two art shows this year, both at a private home. I just wanted to mention something that has helped increase my sales; do you take PayPal using your phone? It's so cool; you just download the free app, send the customer a request for payment, they respond and send you the money, and voila, you're done. I may try this year, not sure yet, to offer layaway on more expensive items. I figure, why not?

• loribee2
    9 years ago

On my phone, I have a Square reader. People spend soooo much more money when they know you take credit cards. On-line sales are through Etsy and people can use either credit cards or PayPal. I'm a little annoyed that PayPal has started keeping my money, though. They used to send it to my checking account, now they hold it in their own account. If I purchase something using PayPal, they take the money from my sales. So far, I've had enough to buy using PayPal that I haven't made an issue of it. But Square just gives me my cash, next day, no funny business.

Only challenge with Square is if you're working a long show, you have to make sure the batteries don't run out on your phone. I bought a battery back-up for it so I don't have to worry. But lose your battery or cell phone reception, and you can't take credit cards.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HAHAHAHAHAAA !! --- I don't even HAVE a cell phone !!!!!
    I'm probably the last person on earth that doesn't .....

• segrieb
    9 years ago

Pretty Stinkin' Cute! Do you have a finished picture of your project? Would love to see it, if you do. I've had my new glass kiln since August 2015. Fun... huh?
    Susan

• meadel
    9 years ago

How adorable! Lucky you with a kiln and access to a large one!
    How'd it turn out?

(My stuff is either given away or under the couch)

• brokenbitmosaics
    9 years ago

So neat. Yup, getting dangerously close to having to have a kiln.......

Sponsored