Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

my spring horse

nicethyme
14 years ago

I've had a spring horse waiting in the wings for a while now and had an idea, so I described it to my dad and here's the beginning

Comments (50)

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Oh that's gonna be so cute!!!! Great idea.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

You gotta be kidding. Hooray for your dad. Wonderful idea.

Kat

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Oh you clever girl!
    Going to be watching this progress.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

This is gonna be so DARLING!!!! I too found a horse @ garage sale this weekend. He is a spring rocking horse as well but he's a bit bigger than yours. I have no idea what I'm going to do w/him yet. But I will certainly be watching this one.

• solstice98
    14 years ago

I love it! What a great idea!

Have you decided what colors to use yet? I went with very non-horse colors on mine because it will be in the garden and I wanted it to stand out. But sticking with the palomino coloring on this beauty would be nice.

Kate (a member of the spring rocking horse club!)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Clever indeed. And what will sit on top of this cutie? Looks like this one w/require some teensy pieces. 'twill be darlin, and I can't wait to see what you create.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm gonna do a new game table, I'm considering turquoise with white and silver.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

My DD got one just like this @ a gargae sale for my GD (she's 4) and almost too big for it so it will be mine soon!!!!! HHHEEEE!!!!!HHEEEEE!!!! Funny how U see things after U start mosaicing!!! LOL!!!! Anyway so now I have 2 to work on....

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Where have I been!?! I just see this now!!! This is gonna be awesome, luv the idea! Jane

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Maybe I'm too tired from working in the gardens, but I don't understand the connection w/this project to a game table. You mean this horse turns - carousel???? If so, what a VERY clever idea indeed. Only Y.O.U. w/have thought of that!!!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

remember this? I have finally been inspired by an idea for this horse... thanks to taking that Laurel Skye workshop! I have been collect a tess pile and am contemplating the design while I reinforce it with a layer of rigid wrap

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Oh this is going to be goooood!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so I drew this on the picture.. I think its the concept I'm after

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Talk about magical!!!!!!!!!! I love love love the design you've drawn. Oh just think - what awaits us. I can just see this in Laurel Sky's jewel tones. Oooooooooooooweeeeee.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

okay, its all plaster wrapped and primer erd (shrug)

so now I need to go find a tire marker and draw that design on the thing... and figure out how it wraps around it.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

A lot of prep work. This w/be a real doozy.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm actually nervous about starting

• texaswild
    10 years ago

You silly thang. I can't believe that. You've never failed at one project. Everything you do is extraordinary. This design you've created w/be fantastic. Do you have colors in mind.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have collected teals, light ambers and maroons

I'll get a shot of my tess pile soon, it is exciting to see lol

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is my stained glass

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my tess pile

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have coated the horse in thinset and added a cement backerboard to the table top.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

decided to do the checkerboard in maroon and amber

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Today I took the whole shebang to the studio school where I teach. It is open studios weekend and a lot of my work is on display so I thought it would be cool to work on this and maybe peak some interest in mosaic and classes!!! plus I really needed a kick start

pretty pleased with whats happening so far,,, I just need to relax and let it happen

• julie10059
    10 years ago

It's going to be so cute! I can't wait to see it finished

• texaswild
    10 years ago

I was wondering about this piece recently. Love the checkerboard and what you've done on the horsey. W/be interesting to watch. BTW - where is the open studios place? Is that the ??? Factory in Old Town Alexandria - can't remember the name? Is it Torpedo Factory??? I used to love going to that place. Lucky you to have a place there to work/display.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Wow, this is going to be amazing to follow the progress. Such intricate pieces to put in place! I envy all of you that do such amazing work!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nnoo This is just the studio locally that I teach workshops at. We have a open studio tour in our county every year and this studio signed on and asked if I wanted to show my stuff during the 2 day event. it was great, I sold 4 pieces including my Poppies window.

got a little further on my horse too

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Congrats on the sales! Am I crazy cause I see a duck??? LOL This just keeps getting better and better!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol I'm sure we'll see all kinds of shapes as the progresses. but we could just change your name to crazy_lady!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

CRAFTY. The pattern DOES look like a duck at this point. Lookin' good, NT.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

See I'm not crazy after all! LOL

• ItsmeChickadee
    10 years ago

This is looking really cool. I see the duck too. Candace, I've noticed that you seem to grout as you go. Is there a benefit to doing it that way as opposed to doing it after all the tess are in place? Enquiring minds want to know!
    Becky

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ahh this is not actually grout and this part won't be grouted, I am coloring mastic and plunking my tess into it. This method is taught by Laurel Skye. It has freed me up to mix smalti and plates and stain glass along with fabric. But, I do have to back paint any translucent glass with white paint or it will appear too dark.

My colorant is a UV and alkaline stable natural pigment

• ItsmeChickadee
    10 years ago

Thanks. That is really interesting. I'm going to read more about this. I learn so much from you!

• julie10059
    10 years ago

How is the the spring horse coming? I am very interested to see it finished

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

feeling guilty but i haven't touched it since that tour weekend, HOWEVER, I have kept it out and in my way so I will make myself get back to it soon I hope

• meadel
    10 years ago

I love that horse !

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

soo I'm finally feeling like I've made a big enough dent to take another pic

• julie10059
    10 years ago

Looking great nicethyme !

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

making myself get this going again, I'm teaching this method at the end of the month and would like to have this example to show them

• brokenbitmosaics
    10 years ago

That is going to be one amazing mosaic when you get finished.

I have several horses like this that I need to do something with. I think they are on the "when I retire list"!

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

You said in an earlier post....... I am coloring mastic and plunking my tess in it. Are there any better instructions listed anywhere for this method? It looks amazing and I take it that it is virtually finished except for sealing it with this method.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I want to see the finished product!
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SO DO I, will you come finish it??? LOL

pushing myself each evening to do some

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

No pressure or anything, but I love seeing the progress and hope you'll finish soon!

• silvamae
    10 years ago

That is well on the way to being a Masterpiece!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Ditto what SILVA said. Viewed on closeup on Flickr, this is mind-boggling. Those teeny weeny pieces and the details are awesome. This kind of work w/drive me crazy. I'd never have the patience to work on something so detailed. I read back over this thread, and I don't see anything about an auction - is this gonna wind up in an auction for charity??? If so, how w/you be able to part w/something so beautiful, and something that took so much of your time and thought, and wouldn't you want to display this in your home?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Slow, I have no plans for this piece at all but would love to sell it one day - I don't know if that will be possible or not but who knows. ?? it could hang around for years and eventually end up at an auction...

Old crafty, you asked about method details - you should get Laurel Skye's book, Mosaic Renaissance. Its detailed there.

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

I luv seeing all the wip pics!!! Gosh I have missed this forum!!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz