Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tempered glass question

Posted by kraftkrazy (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 10, 09 at 20:30

where does everyone get their tempered glass from? i went to a couple of glass stores near me and they both told me that its not something that they stock, it has to be special ordered. and that anytime they have any that breaks it is on a job site and is immediately thrown away at the job site.. so in otherwords, unless i wanted to place a special order, dont look for them to have any small pieces. so do you have to be extremely lucky and just happen upon it or is there a trick and i just dont know it yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tempered glass question

Kraft - I get mine from a window installer that happens to live next door. You might try going to that type of place as they have to throw away what they take out on the job somewhere. You also might try asking for patio doors, etc. on Freecycle and/or Craigslist. If you lived close enough, I'd gladly give you some of mine. Anywhere near North Texas? Good Luck! I think it's the best! :0)
Ann

o

You can also use shower door .

o

I had a friend who works at an autobody place save me some windows, they are slightly tinted, haven't used them yet. Apparently it has to be the side windows, not the windsheild. Keep your eye out at the thrift stores for glass shelving, it's usually tempered.

o

Kraft, also if you live near someone who has a car junk yard you can get some side windows from them real cheap.
I too see tg listed on Craigs List a lot. Good luck.

o

Dern I'm having the same problem, can't find it anywhere and I'm dying to try it.

Donna in Florida

o

thanks all for your suggestions...my next step is to go to an auto repair shop,,i have called a few with negative results,,maybe if i am there and seeing the wrecked cars it wont be so easy to tell me they dont have any,,, whowuddathunk it would be so difficult to locate,,,and i live in the los angeles area, you wouldnt think it would be so hard

o

I have gone to glass retailers, you know the ones that install windows and patio doors etc.
I thought the glass that was in cars was different.
Put an ad on Craigs list for shower doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here