Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

A Beginner's Tool Review

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

So yesterday I realized that the tile nipper doesn't make nice straight cuts like I want, and it's going to take some practice to do this well.

I'm cutting ceramic dishes.

And...the plate foot is a serious problem, as well as curves in the plate that make "border" designs a bit tedious to get off said plate cleanly. Foot must be ground down, and have to find something to fix these border curvies.

Today I learned that I really need some power tools. Ok, but the budget won't allow those for a little while. I go to the tile store where they are having a tent sale. I tell them I need a scoring tool, and a wet saw. Wet saw is evidently going to run me $150 at the tile store, and the scorer 1/2 that. Ouch. (Thanks for the info.)

Off to HD to see what I can procure. Wet saw (small model) will run me about $70 (I figured as much). Don't see a scoring tool...Wait! What's this thingy hanging on a row? "Scores & snaps..." Cool. I'll take it home.

It's a Qep Tile Plier (Model 10004 for those of you keeping score at home- bwahahahahahah!!!! Hey, I just made a funny!!!!!)

{{!gwi}}

Set me back a whopping $7.95. I can handle that. Got it home...it's my new favorite tool. I'm in love with this little gadget! Little wheelie thing makes the score, you pop it into the plier, and SNAP! Nice clean cuts! Not sure how long that wheelie thing will last, or what it'll take to find replacements if need be, but for today, it's working great.

Hmmm...now what am I going to use to get these feet off and sharpen up these UGLY edges that I made last night with the nipper? Let's try this BRUTUS Ceramic & Marble File. Just a little hand-held thing for $11 or $12. Again, in the budget. It does the job, but will definitely need a power-grinder for this task. My forearms don't need to look like Popeye.

So there's today's review. I'm sure I'll be back with other reviews, but maybe some other newbies will find this somewhat useful. "Small Budget" tools work, but I want POWER!!!!

Comments (15)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I can just hear you doing your "Tim the toolman" grunt!!
    Thats one reason why I admire the plate people (shabby chic included). I'm not very good at nipping either. I use the Lipponette's that a lot of others use, but alas, I am not a talented nipper..(sigh)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

hey those pliers look COOL! I may have to check those out! Thanks

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Boy, you are learning fast!! I am enjoying your daily tutorials and finds. Keep 'em coming. This is gonna be great!

:adds HD to list of tomorrow's errands:

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I've been seeing those tile plier/cutter thingys popping up on eBay and the online stores. Been going back and forth about trying one. For the price at HD, might be worth it.
    Saving for the mega saw blade for my ring saw and and accesory kit that Nicethyme talked about a while back.

Maria

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Well don't you know that is THE VERY TOOL Rianna uses for her mosaics. Nothing fancy but very efficient!

• joannegreco
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. I just asked about tile nippers on another thread. :-)

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Joanne the wet saw I bought at home depot was 89.00 it was a workforce...yellow,also the yellow nippers I bought there are about 19.00 I nip my platew with them .I don't like the leponitts for plates at all ,I get a curve with them..and yes it just takes practice.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Yep - I was gonna tell y'all that Rianna didn't even know what Leponitts were when we asked her didn't she have any. That tool is all she had, and she cuts vitreous tiles w/it too.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Back with a 2-month report from this newbie:

1. Still like the score-tool, but I bet there's a better-quality one out there somewhere. This one isn't spring-loaded, and sticks somewhat, but gives a nice snip.
    2. Filing off plate feet? FORGET THAT! What a stupid idea THAT was. Feet go in the trash.
    3. Wet-saw- VRRRRROOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!! Likeitlikeitlikeit!!!
    4. Leponitts- Yep, definitely "the Cadillac of all nippers." Sweet.

Question: I know I can cut glass with the Leps, but wondering "how-to" of it all. Do I score with something else first? Do I just "nip" like I do with plates & china? I gotta get me some glass scrappies to play with. Is the Morton System (or other systems) specifically designed for cutting "uniform" geometric shapes? I mean, if I were NOT doing Geo-shapes yet, will the Leps work for abstracts?

Thanks!

• wackyweeder
    16 years ago

I got some of those scorer breakers at the flea mkt for a buck! I got 4 pair in case the scorer wears out fast. I used it to cut 3/8 inch thick tile. and it was easy!

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Someone here posted a really neat piece done with "plate butts". Man, I wish I could find it again. You'd be diggin' those puppies back outta the trash!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I made three flowers w/them on concrete blocks, but I've seen them used very successfully in another mosaic site - can't remember. They are VERY useful for added texture - makes great flower petals, stems, and combined they can make leaves.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Wow....you're way ahead of me M&M...thanks for the info!!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

MM the morton does cut geometric shapes but you will need a glass cutter to go with it. I use the toyo pistol grip to cut my glass. The leps work great if you just want abstract shapes.

Donna

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Have to sets of nippers and two grinding wheels. Use my leps for glass abstract shapes and am ruining my cheaper wheels on china. Also use a heavier grit grinder wheel on china. Don't even try to get the footers off. If I think they are in the middle of the china pattern too much, usually pass on the china. Slow, love those flowers - don't think I've ever seen that work before. Had some seconds of Fiesta - you inspire me to wish I had those footers back now!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource