Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

my new tray, Potpourri

nicethyme
15 years ago

made with plate shards, tempered glass, carnival glass and a few sicis tiles (from Flagtruck)

I did a bit of reverse indirect to try and level it up. Worked pretty good, I layed it all out (except the border which I had previously glued) and covered it in packing tape then turned it out. Reset it on a bed of thinset.

Comments (16)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I was wondering if that was TG....can see it real well now.
    It's such a pretty, pretty tray!

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

OOOOHHH, so pretty. Love the tempered glass. Great job!

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

You go grl. That is neat the way you did that. I love it. You did a beautiful job.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Nice! I'm so glad you posted with us!!! A Perfect job as usual!!! Thanks for the info, it sure seems to work good that way!The crash glass just sets the carnival glass off and really shows off the plates that way too! Makes a great background!!! I gotta try that! I work at a recycling center where we recycle paper, plastic,glass,wood,yard waste etc etc...and everytime I work(I work in the thrift store part)I see crash glass, and plates, and just everything needs to be mosaiced!!!!)

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

What a lovely, lovely tray, Nice! You've absolutely transformed it!!! Thanks for sharing your technique. One day I want to try the indirect methods.
    Love the colors, too!
    Katie

• texasfern
    15 years ago

The colors and textures are wonderful!
    I have yet to try this method, sure worked well for this piece.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you all for your comments. I had ruled out crash glass when I realized it would have to be thinset to level it and I couldn't paint a color under it, THEN I came across my stash of blue TG and WAH LAH SOLUTION!!!! lol

I have another tray and this time I'm going to try to do the reverse indirect all proper like and see what thats like and it its totally level afterward

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I was so inspired that yesterday when Klinger and I were out thrift storing, I was on the hunt for nice dishes to use!!!(like I don't have stacks already!lol)(What are the initials for for the blue you used?)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh sorry, TG - tempered glass/ crash glass.

you job sounds so tempting, you should teach classes there and create a whole bunch of plate and glass recyclers!

• breakdishes
    15 years ago

I have been lurking for awhile, I am wondering if you did it in reverse? Your work space looks like mine. lol

• texaswild
    15 years ago

G'mornin' NT. I've been AWOL for awhile. I love your tray. You're such an inspiration on trying new things. I love the way you seek new ways of creating such wonderful stuff. BEAUTIFUL tray.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Slow, I've missed you... were you off for your GD's birthday? loved the gift you made her! Thankyou.

Breakdishes, I didn't create in reverse as I think I would need to have a pattern to follow - to feel confident in what I can't see. But it did get turned upside down on the sticky tape when I lifted it (or actually turned it out)

LOL my work space is always such a disaster!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh, that is a tray I would love to own. What beautiful colors you chose! I just love it. Can you tell me what reverse indirect is? Thanks for telling us how you layed it out, taped it and then turned it. I learn something every day here. How fun. The tray is really beautiful.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daisyme, indirect mosaic is the process of building/glueing your tessera on mesh 1st, then appling it all together on the substrate. so reverse indirect is gluing your tessera UPSIDE DOWN on paper which is later soaked off after you place it altogether on your substrate. It can sometimes involve PREGROUTING while upside down to insure thinset doesn't leak through your grout lines during placement...

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

Beautiful tray! I love the combination of materials & the colors, congrats.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

oooo! all the pieces are so different yet it looks so coordinated! I love the color scheme :)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County