Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazel_mahon

wip and misc stuff

Hazel Mahon
16 years ago

I wanted to ask a few silly questions and post my wip so far.

First, I bought a couple of foot square sheets of glass and found that cutting it up into tiles isn't as easy as it seems - hah! is anything ever? I've been using this scorer. The brass screw at the front - out of focus - comes out but I don't know why. Any ideas?

{{!gwi}}

Heres what I have with the candle holder so far. I was going to make one green and one red, both with the stars, and black grout:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (11)

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

the screw comes out, fill the handle with 3 and 1 machine oil, then insert screw. Now everytime you make a score, open the screw alittle bit, that lets the oil flow out at the cutting wheel.

those will be very nice, but I do suggest you try to clean away the excess silicone while it's still soft or it's a PITA later on. Like those stars!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

I like those stars too! I actually "grouted" a candle shelter once with silicone. I like the effect, let more light through. I used a ziploc bag with a tiny hole cut in the corner to apply it along my grout lines. Here tis:

Did I ask...where'd you get those stars?

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

greymom- you made me smile with your question on the oil cutter!!! I remember being clueless on so much when I started cutting my own glass. Please don't think I'm picking on you or making fun of you cause I'm not. It just brought me back to when I was in your shoes!! Thank goodness you are not afraid of asking questions!!! It makes life so much easier.

Your votive is great. You will get better at cutting with practice don't worry. You be making beautiful square tiles in no time!!!

• gibsona
    16 years ago

Thank goodness for people like you that are brave enough to ask "our" silly questions! I have the same cutter and my own silly question. Why does the cutting "head" move (push in) when you get ready to cut? Is it supposed to? I have a hard time adjusting to that. . . .Is it just me?

I love the little stars! Those will be awesome!
    Have a good one!
    Ann

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Fining out about that oil cap helped a lot. Also Toomuch's advice to keep the cutter straight.

I find cutting a big sheet into smaller sizes helps me.

Here is a thread from not too long ago with a lot of advice

Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: about cutting glass

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Neat candle holders. I really like the starts.

• Hazel Mahon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I'd never have known about puting oil in the cutter - there is not one word about it on the directions:)

After reading the thread that Maria posted, I also think I'm pressing too hard. Another thing, I was using a metal ruler as a strait edge and it slips around too much, so I think that a better edge may help me too, or just some kind of rubber non slip strip on my ruler.

I bought the stars in Hobby Lobby and thought about trying to make them the same height as the glass, but decided to leave them standing taller.

Ladyronnie, I'm not sure I'd have the patience or steadiness of hand to do that silicone grouting,but it looks wonderful!

And it's a testament to how friendly and helpful people on this forum are that I'm not afraid to ask my silly questions:)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

This brings me back to memories of the fledglings. This forum is so wonderful in this regard. No question is too silly here. It is very comforting to be able to ask and not be made to feel imcompetent. GREY: After you cut your sheet down to a better working size, if you'll use a wide ruler, perhaps put some silicon on it to keep it from slipping, and cut your little sheet into a grid, you can snap those tiles out lickety split. Measure/score every 1/2" across, then turn it, measure/score every 1/2" and then snap the rows, then each tile off. You'll find you save so much time and get uniform cuts most of the time. Before I bought the Morton system I used a wide quilter's ruler. If you have the cutting pad, the squares are 1/2", so you can just move your glass across each line on the grid of the cutting mat. You'll get better w/practice. Your votive is just darlin', and I'll bet it's beautiful w/a candle. LADY, I STILL love that candle shelter. Good job.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

I wouldn't have known about putting oil in the cutting tool if I hadn't take a stained glass class........and if it would have come with instructions...I wouldn't have read them....I hate reading instructions...LOL This forum is so full of great people to walk anyone through things and not be critical....just full of advice and willingness to help! Your project turned out very pretty!!!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Gibsona: The cutter is supposed to do that, it all just takes time to get used to and I still can't even cut a straight line!! Keep pluggin' along...

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

oh yes that silicone on the ruler... I need to do that too. Was getting by with masking tape on the bottom but even that has slicked up.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!