Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beadie Birdies - Stained Glass

Posted by chinatreasures (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 19:00

I don't see a lot of stained glass here, but thought I would show y'all what I've been up to. Been getting ready for a few fall shows and was trying to come up with cutesy, inexpensive, one-piece-of-glass designs. I made about a dozen of these little "beadie birdies" - what do y'all think? My hubby thinks they need a little eye painted on and he also thinks they look like the Woodstock bird (I don't remember that, but...whatever)!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beadie Birdies - Stained Glass

I think they are really nice and a painted on eye would be okay or you could glue on a black bead. Hope you do well on your sales.

o

Oh, how darlin'- I love the beads. I've just perused a site that GYPSY sent me - of a gallery who's owner adds all kinds of things to her work, and I'm totally blown away. Now I want to take up stained glass - like CALAM says - Lord, help me, and like FLAG says - where's the off-switch to my mind. Noooooooo - I can't look anymore - I WON'T think about stained glass lessons. Check out this site, look in "Now Showing" and look at Linda Austin's work.
Wonderful stuff added to stained glass

o

Thanks flag and slow, I think I will add a little eye on each side.

I checked Linda Austin's work - great stuff! I love how she used the computer parts in her work.

o

That little bird is awesome.
My 2 cents? No eyes, I prefer the "art deco" kinda thing going on.
Thats a great site Slow, I totally could sit a stare at that beach photo all day.
Linda's work is very impressive.

o

ALAS! Some stained glass on this forum!!! Good on You!!! Very Cute bird and I too, am thinking stained glass suncatchers for selling at Klinger's Art Tour(I'm a "guest artist"lol!)I too, was thinking birds...hummers/chickadees...and some Christmas ones that I like to do...mini angels and holly/w/berries, snowmen,as a sort of set of window bling for the season! Sooo much on the go!!! Anyhoo, I'd be tempted to do a eye as I like to do eyes using copperfoil stuck on, then a dot of solder on it.But I do like the idea of a bead with the hole in the middle for a pupil? 0

o

Thanks texas - maybe I'll just put eyes on half of them ~ I'm so indecisive that way!

I'm also making other "one piece wonders" (squares, hearts, etc.) and have been having a blast adding beads. I've seen many beautiful pieces with beads strung on wire and soldered to the piece and thought it was too hard to do. NOT! It is so much fun!

o

I just love that!!!!! Show us what else you are doing with one pieces....I'm new to stain glass and need easy to do projects... thanks for sharing..

o

Emtnest, I was just looking on Warnercrivillaro free patterns, they have some simple ones there...

Here is a link that might be useful: free patterns

o

Thanks Calamity Jane, I just might give what looks to be the easiest one a go...when I get brave...hehhe

o

Emtnest,how much experience do you have with stained glass? Have you taken a class? Those Warner patterns are great for beginners. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you out.

I don't have pictures yet, but I've cut out squares and put a little ring at opposite corners and added beads to the bottom and shorter beads to the top for "sun danglers". Very easy and it would give you a lot of practice for edge soldering. I plan to do the same with a moon, triangle, heart and oval shape.

When I get more done, I'll take pics and post.

o

China, the dragaonflies are the only things I have made... that's how inexperienced I am...I had a one day lesson. Yes, I need easy....lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here