Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinatreasures

Beadie Birdies - Stained Glass

chinatreasures
14 years ago

I don't see a lot of stained glass here, but thought I would show y'all what I've been up to. Been getting ready for a few fall shows and was trying to come up with cutesy, inexpensive, one-piece-of-glass designs. I made about a dozen of these little "beadie birdies" - what do y'all think? My hubby thinks they need a little eye painted on and he also thinks they look like the Woodstock bird (I don't remember that, but...whatever)!

Comments (11)

• flagtruck
    14 years ago

I think they are really nice and a painted on eye would be okay or you could glue on a black bead. Hope you do well on your sales.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh, how darlin'- I love the beads. I've just perused a site that GYPSY sent me - of a gallery who's owner adds all kinds of things to her work, and I'm totally blown away. Now I want to take up stained glass - like CALAM says - Lord, help me, and like FLAG says - where's the off-switch to my mind. Noooooooo - I can't look anymore - I WON'T think about stained glass lessons. Check out this site, look in "Now Showing" and look at Linda Austin's work.
    Wonderful stuff added to stained glass

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks flag and slow, I think I will add a little eye on each side.

I checked Linda Austin's work - great stuff! I love how she used the computer parts in her work.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

That little bird is awesome.
    My 2 cents? No eyes, I prefer the "art deco" kinda thing going on.
    Thats a great site Slow, I totally could sit a stare at that beach photo all day.
    Linda's work is very impressive.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

ALAS! Some stained glass on this forum!!! Good on You!!! Very Cute bird and I too, am thinking stained glass suncatchers for selling at Klinger's Art Tour(I'm a "guest artist"lol!)I too, was thinking birds...hummers/chickadees...and some Christmas ones that I like to do...mini angels and holly/w/berries, snowmen,as a sort of set of window bling for the season! Sooo much on the go!!! Anyhoo, I'd be tempted to do a eye as I like to do eyes using copperfoil stuck on, then a dot of solder on it.But I do like the idea of a bead with the hole in the middle for a pupil? 0

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks texas - maybe I'll just put eyes on half of them ~ I'm so indecisive that way!

I'm also making other "one piece wonders" (squares, hearts, etc.) and have been having a blast adding beads. I've seen many beautiful pieces with beads strung on wire and soldered to the piece and thought it was too hard to do. NOT! It is so much fun!

• emtnest
    14 years ago

I just love that!!!!! Show us what else you are doing with one pieces....I'm new to stain glass and need easy to do projects... thanks for sharing..

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Emtnest, I was just looking on Warnercrivillaro free patterns, they have some simple ones there...

Here is a link that might be useful: free patterns

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Thanks Calamity Jane, I just might give what looks to be the easiest one a go...when I get brave...hehhe

• chinatreasures
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Emtnest,how much experience do you have with stained glass? Have you taken a class? Those Warner patterns are great for beginners. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help you out.

I don't have pictures yet, but I've cut out squares and put a little ring at opposite corners and added beads to the bottom and shorter beads to the top for "sun danglers". Very easy and it would give you a lot of practice for edge soldering. I plan to do the same with a moon, triangle, heart and oval shape.

When I get more done, I'll take pics and post.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

China, the dragaonflies are the only things I have made... that's how inexperienced I am...I had a one day lesson. Yes, I need easy....lol