Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Household glass?

Posted by ernie85017 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 18:41

I have searched, but can't find an answer for this one.
Is it possible to use colored glass, say from old vaes, glassware (some is quite thin) for tesserae?
I have several pieces in colors, but wondering how to safely cut and use it.
Will wheeled cutters work on this type of glass?
Is silicone ok? I want to do the outside of a glass vase so the light will shine through.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Household glass?

there are artists who use this type of glass exclusively. You can use wheeled nippers, but depending on the kind you use, someglass is too thin for the wheels to meet and it wont cut it. I have a cheap pair from harbor freight I got for 7 dollars and they will cut the thinnest of glass, and my more exensive ones wont. But you cant break it and use the pieces also. yes silicone is fine.

o

Yes I have used all kind of things use a lot of wine bottle .Broke vases I know some one on this site has used broken toilets .Go with what floats your boat !!! Hehe!!!.

o

Check out this art made exclusively with old broken glass, it is fabulous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ear of the Wind glass studio

o

Wowee. It must have taken years, or an army of volunteers to gather all that old glass.

o

Wow she does beautiful work!

o

It is wonderful. Amazing that he(?) uses lead channels to put them together. I have a book from 1940s England that I got at a thrift store, explaining how to teach school children how to make leaded glass windows! If they can learn it maybe I can too!
Kathy

o

I found an ice cream maker. I'm all set to start, but kind of scared of cutting myself. The china shards are sharp - but glass? eek

o

You are right to be cautious. After the first few nips, you will gain confidence. Go slow and careful and don't get over-confident! It's really not that hard!

Here's a link to a glass totem I made out of old clear glass vases stacked. I used GE Silicone Two clear as an adhesive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's glass totem WIP

o

Woohoo! The dark grout really sets off the colors.

So this is what I have to look forward to!

Please post pictures when you finish. I love looking at what everyone has done.

o

I rarely cut myself on glass, but always on china! keep your work area brushed off of shards-and use a brush not your hand!

o

Ernie, here's a finished picture on Flickr.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's totem on Flickr

o

I love your work. Do you make your own "tiles". Many are unusual.

o

No, I nip everything, but I don't make them myself. Some of the tess on my GOG totem is ordinary stained glass. Some is specialty stained glass that is textured and draped that I got off eBay from a company that went out of business. Some is part of an antique bowl. A few pieces are from a vodka bottle that was in a recycle bin. So just a big mix, which is what I prefer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here