Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinset color help needed

Posted by daisyme (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 18:28

Iam using thinset for the first time to set the pieces on my decorative birdhouses for Christmas fairs. I previously used a very "thinset-like" premixed sanded grout which came in an antique white. I used this because I cannot grout over my wood and stone pieces and the grout often shows between pieces or when I attach wood. The antique white looked good. As I can't get the premixed grout anymore, I tried to mix my own grout, but the texture and hold was completely different than that I'd used. I then bought thinset and used it, but it is a medium to dark grey color which looks awful. I tried to mix in some brown, but that turned it purple.

Can anyone tell me if all thinset is grey? Is it ususally all the same color of grey or is some lighter? Is anyone good at color mixing to give me some suggestions on how to correct for the grey color if I'm stuck with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinset color help needed

Hi DAISY. All thinset is NOT just grey. I have some plain white that I got at Home Depot, and there were several other colors as I recall. The brand is Versabond.

o

Thank you soooooo much, Ronnie. I will take a look for Verabond.

o

Daisy you can coror it real easy also beings you are using it the way you are add some glue to it .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here