Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

WIP game table

nicethyme
16 years ago

No Slow, it won't be done when you get back Monday, heck the glass won't be here before the end of that week! LOL

So to borrow Linlee's description - here's my next victim

{{!gwi}}

That's wood putty, this table was on it's way to the dump in my nieghbor's truck when Dh salvaged it - thinking of me again (((((AWE)))) lol So it was in rough shape, my Dad was in for a visit and repaired a jutting leg and pulled the corners taught again (Thanks Dad)

so here I am drooling over Linlee's paint job - my dream paint for this table but alas, I must use what I have... unfortunatly that means high gloss oil which means painting outside... in a tent... ugh! but it's coming along okay, just need to pick a few nats off.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (67)

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wow nice! That's really looking good!
    Love your color choices.......can't wait to see it finished!

Hazie

• LinLee
    16 years ago

This is going to be sooooooo pretty. And making
    your own glass? (yikes)
    I also love your rich color choices.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

And she's off and running. GEESH, that's gorgeous. So very beautiful and unique. Now, w/you go into a bizillion little pieces for the border as in the mirror you showed as your inspiration? I don't know if I'd have the patience to do that. Sure w/be pretty, if you do. I, too, admire the work of that artist. I believe it was BAMA who posted that site awhile back. Yours w/be better and more colorful.

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Those colors are great together NT. Will you do a different pattern from the board to the edge? What about the game pieces themselves; will you make those from glass?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yep, that's my plan. Little pieces in perfect borders, it's so pretty on those mirrors. But man I'll tell ya - last night I wanted to turn it abstract in the worst way. LOL I'm resisting the urge.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Looking good NT!!

Maria

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Black and red-my favorite color combo. Very classic! I see why you love that mirror and why it inspired you! Did you use high gloss paint on the table?

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Wow Nice,another amazing beauty from you....it's gonna be a real jewel.Can't wait to see more!Annie

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sunshine, yes the paint was high glass, because that's all I had!

Helen, I'll be using extra larg gems for pieces - these

{{!gwi}}

here's tonights progress

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Looking really good. This is going to be awesome when it is finished. Have you thought of your grout color yet?

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Coming along great! And the gems are perfect for the game pieces.

Those trim pieces look tiny!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you both!

Helen, I felt the gold had to be really little to be authentic looking, ya know - like it was the real spendy gold coated glass, so it's used very teeny.
    Linlee inspired me with that armoire, but I didn't break out tweezers at least! lol

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

NT-I opened this to see your progress and my DS, age almost 3, says, "Oooohhhhh so pretty! Look at colors mom!" She calls the glass globs "colors." Not sure why. I am so pitiful that any kind of positive reinforcement from my kids makes me smile really big. I hope she made you smile too!

BTW, I think it's incredible too!

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Something I've done an inspiration to someone?!?!
    I'll have to print that statement out to show to
    my 16 year old daughter. Usually she thinks everything mom does is "stoopid". kids...sheesh.
    Oh yeah...still coming along great! Love that gold.
    Linlee

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Wow, look at those teeny pieces - and place so precisely! I'd be a screaming idiot after trying that!! ( although around here they already think I am LOL)

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, oh, oh, NT - Just like I imagined you'd do. Are the gold about 1/2"??? Sure is pretty. Anxious for the next rows. Doing great. I forgot if you're keeping this or if it'll be for sale. This w/bring a very nice sum at an auction.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

It sure looks pretty!!!

Barb

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow nice that is turning out so great. I just love how fast it seems to be going! You always do such stunning work!!

I have been thinking about doing a cribbage board in mosaics (project 410-a) for when we have our get togethers at our house. That would kinda be cool to do now that I have seen your checker board!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, a cribbage board would be excellent, and you know everyone would be in awe of it when they come to play!!!

Slow, the gold is plus or minus 1/4". I nipped it all up and sat down to glue and Dh walked past, goes "you are a glutten for punishment" LOL maybe so but I think it's a real stand out feature. I am most likely gonna sell it since I really have no room for it here.

Cacbeary, I'm feeling fairly sure this should be charcoal grout.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, it is ready for grout tomorrow. Any suggestions on colors, otherwise I'm going charcoal.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

OH my god! that's so impressive!
    Charcoal would be perfect. It will tie in the dark table color. That's really a beauty Nice!

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Beautiful NT ! I'm still amamazed at those teeny tiny pieces!!

Maria

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

LOVE those colors... and your wonderful eye for pattern. Whew... tiny gold pieces!
    Hey... I've been wondering about the tumbling thing. I've not been doing that with the glass I've cut... starting to wonder if I should. Did you tumble all that glass?
    It's beautiful! Can't wait to see it grouted!
    Katie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

amamazed.. that's a real word...I just made it up for your table (LOL at me, not the table)

Maria

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Its gonna look so great once its grouted!!! This has turned out so great! Beautiful job (as usual) NT!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tis grouted, I like!!!!!!!!!!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

It looks fantastic Nice!

Barb

• livnlife
    16 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is really great! Amazing what you've done with that old ratty table! Super job!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

WOW is RIGHT! Oh my.... it's gorgeous!
    I can't get over the depth your color shades give it!
    Absolutely beautiful!!!
    Loved watching the progress! Thanks for sharing it.
    Katie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

DOUBLE DAWG SNOT!
    Well, I'm back and getting caught up on everything.
    NT, just beautimus! I love all the little pieces. I thrive on doing stuff like that.
    Gawgeous!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

amamazing... gonna remember that new word for when I need it next! lol

Kate, you asked about tumbling. 3 types of glass used are painted so the could not be tumbled. And then since I was winging this design, I didn't precut everything and have enough to fill the tumbler. I did small amounts of each type as I decided on it, and shook them around in a plastic coffee can, in soapy water.

I have precut my glass for the mushroom since I already know what I'm doing on that, so yes that is all tumbled. Which is ultimatly more important on 3D work that flat surfaces.

• lisa_4
    16 years ago

Fantastic!!!!! You did a great job! The detail is remarkable.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

That is simply stunning.
    Very impressive.

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

I LOVE your game table. You did a fantastic job!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

NT
    That turned out amazing! So meticulous in the placement of the tesserae that it looks store bought!

You and linlee need to go into the furniture business.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

OH WOW!! What a masterpiece that is!! It looks so perfect, the colors, the design, everything!!! Are you going to show the neighbours what you did to their junk table? It reminds me of that show on HGTV "the junk brothers", you gotta let them drool over it!, then let them know how much you sell it for! lol!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

NT, what an awesome table! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! You are quite a talented artist! You should not have a problem selling that; you'll have buyers fighting over this!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Oh, that is just beautiful!! Looks so professional!
    **amamazing**
    It was so fun to watch the transformation!! Head an shoulders above what any of those HGTV decorating shows do!!

Maria

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

WOW what a great game table. It is just awesome.

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Dag nabbit! I thought I posted last night but must not have hit the SUBMIT button! DUH!
    NICE: Your game table is SPECTACULAR....and I really want one for myself now...what are the dimensions?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for the compliments!

Lisa, you definately planted the seed for this project with your chess boards - I had this table in storage at the time and had one of those aha moments when I saw your post.

Rosemary, the mosaiked area is about 20" x 26" I ended up downsizing my game board to 1.5" squares from Lisa's more user friendly 1.75" squares. Because I wanted that decorative space along the sides to be wider.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

This truly wonderful and exceptional!!! Is there a glass cover on it or is that just an effect of the pic? WOW!! I'm thinking of trying some smaller pcs on something too, just haven't seen the "vision" yet. Your stuff is truly inspiring, Nice!!!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

WOW Nice that came out beautiful. My DH just saw it too and says "impressive!" I would love to do something like this!

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

Well, everyone has already said it but here goes anyway! THAT IS SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!!!! Awesome job. Beautiful colors!!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Oh Nice just as I knew it would be...amazing,wonderful,stunning what can I say that hasn't been said.You are such an artist,you really are ..let us know when it sells!Annie

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Nice your table is GREAT!! The good thing about being gone so long is I get to see the whole project beginning to end on one shot. You really have out done yourself on this one. Of course you always do with your talant. I would never dream the table in the first picture is the beautiful game table in the last.

Chris

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well I'll be! I have no words - just ditto everything everyone else has already said. You are sooooooooooo talented, l'il girl. Truly a gifted person.

• kelly6780
    16 years ago

This is wonderful! I dont' know how to play chess, and I'm not a big fan of checkers (no good way to cheat) BUT, I am now inspired to learn chess and...na I'd still want to cheat at checkers. DH wants me to make one now! He'll just have to buy me a table then! Love it, nice!

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

I'm just now seeing this while trying to find instructions for making the Van Faux glass.

I called my DH in to see, it's fantastic!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Seeing this table again makes me sad at what it was sold for...One of the prettiest things I've seen!!!