Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie in Florida

Posted by dogwriter (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 17:04

Hello everyone! I just discovered this wonderful forum! I have not done mosaics in a few years but am thinking of starting up again and maybe selling at local fairs. We have SO MANY in this area! I want to appeal to as many crowds as possible. I live in Daytona Beach and we have art fairs, food events, family festivals, Bike Week, Speed Week, etc.- activities all year round! I am thinking of creating small art pictures that can be hung on the wall (inside or out) but am open to most anything. I'd like to create items appropriate to the event/area and keep the selling prices low. Any tips or suggestions from you seasoned pros?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie in Florida

Hi and welcome to the forum! We love pictures here, and promise to ooh and aah your creations if you post them, hehe. As for tips, I haven't done any shows. I am just starting up a business selling concrete flowers that I mosaic. I am selling on Etsy.com but so far all my sales have been to friends, heh. I'm hoping word of mouth and "where'd you get that?" kicks in soon enough and I actually start selling to strangers. Will love to hear about your experience doing fairs. I live in the northern California wine country and we've got a fetish for them around here too. Booth prices and what percentage they take from your sales is a big question to ask when deciding what fairs to do. I hear they vary quite a bit. The artists I've spoken to prefer a flat booth fee as opposed to commission based.

My town also has a farmer's market where some booths are crafts. That is even more reasonable than a wine/art festival.

Anyhoo, that's all I know! I'm sure others will chime in. Glad to have you join us!

o

Welcome to our obsession :) I live in Wisconsin , so our craft fair seasons are limited. I can tell you one thing - I shop at alot of fairs and I have yet to see one mosaiced thing. I quit doing craft fairs , it was just too much for one person ,but now I'm wishing I could do it now & sell mosaics instead of stained glass suncatchers. You'll do great. The wisdom in this forum is priceless ! I hope you keep posting ~
Kathy

o

Thank you both for your encouragement! I'll be sure to post any photos that I take. Loribee I like the pieces on your website. Anybody else live in this area?

o

What area of Florida?

o

I'm in Daytona Beach! Moved here from Augusta, GA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here