Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Here's what I've been working on

silvamae
10 years ago

Decorative, meant to place in your flower beds . . .

Comments (33)

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's more . . .

• texaswild
    10 years ago

WOWOWOWOWO!!! You've been bizzzzzzzy. LOVE them all. How very creative. These resemble things we made to leave at the hotel in Puerto Vallarta when CALAM, KLINGER and I met there 10 yrs. ago. I left mine in potted plants. Wouldn't these be great to insert in a new walk? I can think of a bunch of ways to use these little numbers. They sorta remind me of Chris Emmert's Pet Memorian rocks. She's on Flickr.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Wow you have been busy. No wonder we haven't seen any updates on your mannequin! Love them all!!!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for looking, Slow! Yes, I've seen Chris Emmert's work on Flickr and Etsy. I love how she outlines her designs with ball chain. I want to do that too, but I don't want to be a copy cat, haha. I think these would be good in a walk, as you say, just insert one every so often. I will get back on my Torso No. 2 soon; need to finish that up.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, crafty lady. Yes, I will get back on the mannequin real soon. I'd like to finish her up.

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

Those are so cool I still want to do that .I have not been feeling well having a flare.What did you do those on.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Those are all eye candy!!! I like the pink butterfly the best. Thank you for sharing them. Did you just use thinset to adhere them?

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nana, sorry you've not been well -- hope you're better soon. These are done on flagstone that I bought at a rock place. They let me dig through the scrap pile left after a pallet of stone was sold. Except the cross on the left is on a broken piece of marble. I used thinset as adhesive and also as grout, plus I sprayed the entire stone with DuPont grout sealer when I was done. I did this to hopefully seal any edges of broken plates to make them more durable since they will be outside in the weather.

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

You know we have a grannet place here and they have a big pile you can get for free I wonder about doing some on that .I still want to do some on river rock.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I reckon that would work just as well. Is it flat? Where is the place? I have been meaning to come up your way. Would love to meet up.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm working on: garden stones, a guitar, a large mirror, and the torso. I like working on more than one project at a time.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

Oh those birds are so cute and I love the dragonflies. Shouldn't be long before we see an update on the torso, right?

• texaswild
    10 years ago

OMGoodness. These are just precious. Is that dichroic glass on the dragonflies? Love all these.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That is stained glass tile that has a wonderful iridescent sheen on one side that looks dichroic. The tiles were a one-time deal off of eBay and I have no idea how the person accomplished that look. I will be sad when I use them all up.

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

oooh I love the shard birds especially

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you -- I love the cute, plump, simple type of little bird.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finished grouting this morning.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A closeup.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

That's reall pretty. You ARE busy. Hats off to you for doing so much. You really have your mojo back. And just think, a few weeks ago you were in a slump. You must be like I am - when it comes back, it comes back like a bullet train roaring down the track. Gooooooooo SILVA.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's Dave's mirror, ready for pickup. 29" x 37".

I could kick myself for not taking a "before" picture. The lizards were rusty, one was missing and another had a bent tail; there were originally 6, 2 on each side and 1 on the top and 1 on bottom. So I had to reposition them. The grout was a sickly pink unsanded with an oocky texture, and there were river rocks pushed into it. The entire bottom part of the mosaic was missing entirely.

He is picking it up today. Fingers crossed that he will like it. His only input was, he doesn't like pink, his favorite color is green, and save the lizards.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Oooooooooh. I thought you'd mosaiced the whole thing. Where did he find such a mirror. It's quite unique. He can't help but like this beauty. It's wonderful.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We dug out the original mosaic and discarded it (the four panels). We only kept the lizards. I painted them with several layers of green and bronze acrylic. Then mosaiced the background with glass leaves and the gold and red color is a broken salad plate. The original mosaic was a sickly pink background with rusty lizards and black and grey river rocks. Dave got this mirror originally from a neighbor who brought it back from Mexico many years ago. I'm anxiously waiting for him to come pick it up.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I'll bet he is thrilled when he sees this!!!

• julie10059
    10 years ago

That is just beautiful, you have done a very nice job :)

• wishdish
    10 years ago

Oh I love your stones! I've been piling up stones (flat and river) for a while now, for this very project. I'll get to them eventually!

• nanatricia
    10 years ago

OMG I love that mirror!!!!!!!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Getting close . . .

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's the back -- butterfly tattoo ....

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

LOVE!!!!! I was wondering when you were going to get back to this!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I recently posted a picture of Dave's mirror - the one with lizards or geckos on it. He also had a smaller version and decided he wanted it to be re-done in a similar fashion. So I just finished it yesterday and he picked it up today.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops, I already posted a pic of this. Oh well, here it is again. He just picked it up a few minutes ago and he's pleased with it.

• nicethyme
    10 years ago

He should be, its FANTASTIC! love your color palette choices.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! Yes, I love the colors in this one. It's an old Furio plate. I've had it for many years and just never realized how much I would like it as mosaic tile!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert