Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

'Nuther Bird Bath

texaswild
15 years ago

Finished all the switchplates in the house and paced the floor for an hr., and hit upon a new project. I'm baaaaaaaack.

Bird Bath WIP

Comments (40)

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

So, glad to see you back, You have been holding out of me, where did you get that beautiful bb base?

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

Glad you're back, how's the foot?

I love those colors together, they are so vibrant! It's very pretty. It is interesting to see how you used the curved part of the green plate, what a good idea; I've been throwing some of those parts out because they are curved, never thought of turning them over! (that is the bottom of the plate we're seeing, right?)

Judy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks y'all. FLAG - I got the bb at Marshall Pottery - oh, I don't remember - way over a yr. ago. Also have a pedestal from there. I got it cuz it's so smooth. Yes, GC - that's the back of plate shards. They are the hardest danged plates - $ store. They even tax the tile saw, they're so hard. Foot is three weeks today, w/three weeks to go when the orthopedist said it w/be healed. Still VERY tender and painful, if I'm not careful.

• curbdiver1954
    15 years ago

WONDERFUL to see you back, slow!! And as usual, you're here in style! Love the shape of the bb base....those penny rounds really set it off, as do the rest of the tess you're using. Vibrant colors always make me smile!

Pat

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Yipee! Slow's back! Beautiful birdbath you got going there, great colors, great design, great everything! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Now don't go over doing it!

• bamasusanna
    15 years ago

Oh dear.. not a nekkid switch plate in the house! LOL
    The bb is looking wonderful!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

You Go Girl!!! WOW!!!Very nice lookin' so far! How have I missed your toilet before now?!?! I just worked my first day at my new J.O.B. (at the recycle center I love to shop at!!lol!(Alterior motives?ha!) Klinger and I talked today about going to Texas and so I'm saving up!!! PLUS I sold my Rooster!!!!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

I agree with flag, that is a great bb base!! The colors are awesome. Your little birdies will be very happy!!

Take care with that foot so it heals properly!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well how nice to be back indeed. First cup of coffee tastes better w/y'all. Thanks for the smiles. Yeah, yeah, yeah, CALAM - you keep saying that. Come anytime - both of you, except March 3-8. I'll be in PV for Leighanna Light's (mixed media artist) workshop. Come see me, and we could go together.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

WoW!

What eye candy for a newbie like me! Everything is so impressive and incredibly creative, but you must already know that :)
    I don't know which I am drooling over more: your art work or your workshop and home! Either way, I love love love your style and home, and seeing your style displayed in your home is such a treat here!
    Before I stop , the fish plaque is FANTASTIC, love the colors and the movement in the piece.

-your newest fan

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well how sweet, LITSA: Thank you. Finished gluing pedestal, now to figure out how to treat the bowl. It is glazed in a nice aqua finish, and I don't know whether to mosaic it or leave it plain and just mosaic the outside of it. Advice, please. Oh, Rats - should've taken a picture of it on the pedestal. My exterminator just left, and while I was writing a check for him, he straightened those crooked black tiles at the top. Thank you, Keith.
    Pedestal glued

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just took a picture of it together. Whaddy'all think? Should I just mosaic the underside of the bowl?

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Bring the black from the top of the pedestal on up unto the bowl for about 4-5" then your lime green.finish the outside with a row or two of the dk blue pennyrounds, that will play into the aqua glaze already on the inside. I agree with you not to mess up the bowl inside. I don't think that the outside of the bowl needs as much color as the pedestal, which I love BTW..you will make it look pretty you always do.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That is looking so great I love it!! I would not do the inside .If your water is like mine it is hard .It get HW depostets on it real bad .I just cleaned wit vin. just today .

• gretch1964
    15 years ago

Great birdbath. I would tile the underside and leave the bowl blue.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice, y'all. As I told FLAG this morn. via email, I should know better than to ask for advice - never have the patience to wait for it, so went w/whatever cuz I was tired and wanted to finish. Hardly any of the underside shows. Need to grout what I did on the underside while it's turned upside down, then do the edge. I may have to do the inside - found a hairline crack in the bowl. I can either mosaic a portion of the bowl - maybe building an island in the middle, covering the crack, or my instinct tells me to mosaic the inside, being heavy on thinset. I really used a thick layer on the underside. Thanks for your compliments AND advice.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Don't forget what I told you about the spray can of automotive undercoating. Coat the inside with this and then mosaic it, heavy on the thinset...

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Another beautiful bird bath, I love this one!! I like the inside of the bowl blue too, but if there's a crack I guess you'll have to do something.
    Automotive undercoating? Did I miss info on this. Do you use it as a sealer?

• helenfae
    15 years ago

Slow ,just joined today ,looked at all your petty's you made and the beautiful way you displayed it ,but what really impressed me was all the beautiful plants and they are full of blooms.how do you keep them all so neat and loaded in bloom's

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, you're so welcome - glad you've joined us. I just came in for a quick check on the forum, and here's your post. Thanks. If you could see my gardens right now, you'd take that back. I used to work outside all day, most days, but since I found mosaics, my gardens have taken a back seat. The weeds are taking over, and I must get outside this next week, broken foot notwithstanding, and do some cleanup. The house is ever-changing in decor - totally different in many areas right now - always a consumate decorator at heart. Thanks, and welcome, again, to the forum.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Welcome back, Slow. I've missed you!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Looks good and am sad to hear about the crack, but lemonade is on it's way!ha!

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

Beautiful Slow,Missed reading your comments....knew you wouldn't stay down for long,your not that kind of gal no matter what else is going on!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. Getting ready to finish up gluing the bowl - hope to grout tomorrow. Just got back from getting a pedicure, and a take out lunch. Don't go out much lately, and driving up to my yard is a shocker!!!!!!!! War on weeds SOON!!!!!!!!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Your pieces always make me smile. They are so festive and fun! And, I pour over the backgrounds in your photos for sights of other pieces I've missed or you've been hiding.

That is just hilarious that your exterminator straightened your tess. Ha!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank y'all very much. But for a little more cleanup, it's finished. This w/be placed outside tomorrow. I sorta like it. HEY - where IS everyone today???????
    Birdbath finished

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oooo, how pretty!! Ya blinged up the inside a bit...I can just see those birds preening in the mirrors! Dumb question time, but do you just put on thinset, stick the tess on, squish a bit to bring up the thinset and then DON'T grout?

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

I like it, but you should have more patience! lol I know you get antsy. Very pretty...another Slow beauty.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Welcome back Slow! How in the world do you produce such GORGEOUS work's in so little time. Do you get any sleep? I Just LOVE that birdbath, but I blinked, and went out of town for only four days and wow, another beautiful work of art from SLOW!!! You amaze me as always.

This feels so very festive, and party atmosphere. I imagine the birds will be out there partying all night long, and the girlies will show up early so they can check themselves out in the mirror before their bf join them. LOL!!

Love love love this one, course I LOVE everything that you do. Such talent!1

Take care of that foot.

• stjohnsgypsy
    15 years ago

OH yeah! You're baccckkkkk to full form girl! I love this.....I love looking at it!! If I was a bird, I'd make a big splash there I tell ya!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

'morning, y'all. Bowing again to your applause. CINDI: There was some squishing going on in there for sure. I laid a thick layer of thinset down, and tried NOT to squish, but the glass is so thin, it was unavoidable in spots. Then I grouted, I don't like the lay/squish method. It's not the neatest job for sure, but hopefully, the birds won't notice. Next birdbath w/do w/dish shards - my preferred tess.

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

I LOVE it! I really like the inside of the bowl, too. How do you come up with so many great designs?! You're A-maz-ing!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OOOOOOOh- I love the circle mirrors!!! I just love it all! Good job! Def one of my favs now!!!!

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That turned out GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it .

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, y'all. How do I do it TERIKAT? - ideas are always bubbling in my head. Sometimes they come like a storm, and sometimes I have to think a bit, but inspiration is everywhere - just not enough sticking power some days to play it out. Can't decide if this w/go to my seller tomorrow on my way to the Big D, or in the front garden.

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Love your inspiring work....it's always so beautiful and so ..
    "Slowmedown"!....I could pick it out of a crowd..it's so you!..Hope to be able to do that one day. Glad to see you post again. Hope you are doing ok..recovery is such a pain in the ass! all I have done for more months than I want to count, is recover. So tired of it all!!! So inspired by you..always..

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Nice one, slow! I have a neighbor who has that exact same lovely shaped BB, and it kills me to see it nekkid cement every time I drive down the driveway. One of these days I'm going to kidnap it and return it "better."
    Where's my ninja suit?

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Hi Slow!

Late to the party, just wanted to send my regards. I love your yard, and, of course, all of the pretties in it. It has such a nice "vibe", too- I would love to be surrounded by such whimsical creations (not to mention the beautiful flowers and plants). There is a wealth of textures and little things to catch your eye...

Once my guys are older (they are 1 and 3 at the moment), I hope to have an English style garden in my little yard (I live in a sort of "city" area, and out yard is very small), but, for the moment I have to keep everything kid proof. :-) I can dream, though- I love your gate, too!

Cheers,
    Jenny

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How nice to see this at the top again. My thanks again for your comments. LOVE - foot not healing as fast as the dr. said it would, and my patience is wearing OUT!!! M&M - the birdbath went off to the seller, and I'm already sorry. Going back to Marshall Pottery for another one just for ME. Nice to see you here again. Don't stay away - whatcha doin' lately? PGH: My gardens are full of weeds, and the postman practically needs a machete to get through the rose canes to the front door mail slot. The Head Gardner has been AWOL. She sure needs to get back outside for about two weeks now that the temperatures are down. Thanks, y'all.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

It's a magical birdbath! My inner child is in love.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022