Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mesh substitute

Posted by ernie85017 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 16:27

I have been reading Silvamae's blog and realized how freeing the mesh would be for outdoor work. It's still too hot here to work outside.
Is there any reason I should not use regular window screen mesh for backing? Fiberglass or metal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mesh substitute

I have seen on other forums where people warn against it, especially mentioning not to use metal screen, reason being that it might rust. I don't see why you couldn't use fiberglass but I can't speak from experience.

o

I just remembered another concern about window screen. Someone said that the holes might be too small for the thinset to effectively ooze through and that your mosaic piece might not adhere firmly to the substrate.

o

I use the fiberglass screen - on a roll from Lowes, and have had no problems w/it. I push the tile on real firmly to ensure seepage underneath, then when I attach the piece - as I did on the water feature w/faces - I use lots of adhesive. I even grouted the pieces b/f attaching. I also used it on a large indoor project - one I started in PV, rolled up and brought back to finish at home. Also used it on a small section of the first section of the fountain surround off my patio. I love it, and it's lots cheaper than ordering from mosaic sites.

o

Thanks for your imput!
I am spending so much $$ on glass and dishes that I gotta save somewhere!

o

Good to know, Slow! Thanks.

o

I also have been wondering about the mesh used as a backing and where to get it and what it's called.
Slow: are you referring to fiberglass screen that you would purchase in the window department?

Silvamae: what type of mesh did you use on your butterflies? and where do you get it from?
Thanks.
Linda

o

Yes, CRAFTY - the kind used to make window and door screens.

o

I buy mine at Wits End Mosaics. I notice that Maryland Mosaics also carries it.

http://www.ec-securehost.com/WitsEndMosaics/Tools.html

http://www.marylandmosaics.com/mesh-yard-p-94.html

o

Thanks ladies.
Gotta get my pics posted of my completed projects. Maybe tommorrow

o

. .i am anxious to try this myself. .Anyone that has tried Vinyl coated fiberglass window screen (plastic)that i can find says that it works just fine.Thinset manufactures report that modified thinset (thinset with special bonding agents added) will react with aluminum and not bond properly. ( But )You may be able to use unmodified thinset (basicly cement mixed with sand )with aluminum window screen.or another type of screen like coated metal screen or stainless steel if you happen to have some laying in the recycle Bin . .StonyTile@gmail.com or Stony Tile . .
On Facebook

o

There is a guy in town who does super amazing mosaic murals and he uses landscape fabric!! Plus he uses a modifyed cement mixer to tumble all his marble!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here