Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shipping fragile artwork

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 12 at 16:19

I had to send that Harley mosiac from me, in WI.
to AZ. I decided to let the pro's do it , so I took it to UPS pack & Ship. Holey Moley -- it cost $36 to ship !!!!
I almost fainted. Have you ever shipped fragile stuff ?
I usually pack stuff myself , but after all that work ,I thought it would be best to have it done.

All I can say is for $36 -- they better wrap it in clouds & have angels deliver it ~ !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shipping fragile artwork

I ship my own stuff. I wrap it in bubble wrap. I pack newspaper in the corners and around the outside, then throw in a layer of "peanuts". My item, more peanuts, more newspaper. By the time I close the box, that puppy ain't going anywhere. I also make sure I buy a good box. Shipping supplies for a 16" flower weighing about 10 lbs is about $5.

UPS is more expensive than USPS, but I believe their tracking and insurance on a lost or damage item is better. You can cut the UPS cost in half if you send to a business, so I try to send things to people's work if possible.

o

You know -- I thought I noticed that residential delivery was more ....now I know I'm not crazy !

o

I can't Believe it cost $36!! That's a lot! I box my own stuff too. One tip I can offer is that I double-box everything and bubble-wrap it so that it looks like a ball. Well, at least you know it will arrive okay and it's insured if it doesn't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here