Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ringaroundtherosie

Mosaic Christmas Tree

ringaroundtherosie
15 years ago

Hello,

Has anyone glued mirror pieces on a styrofoam cone? I have a craft group at church and we are making mirror trees for our Craft Fair in November. I found glue that will hold the mirror piecs on the styrofoam, but have not grouted any yet. So far, they look amazing. Has anyone done this or has any tips for me, I would really appreciate it. Photos would be great!!!! We are also mosaicing large plastic ornaments for decorations. Thanks for your help.

Rosie

Comments (15)

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

It sounds like a nice idea. Are you sealing the backs of the mirror so the glue won't ruin the silver and make it turn black in a few months? There is a mirror seal spray, Sprayway, that seems to be available nationally (just not in my town). Today I had a website that showed where, by state, to get it, but sorry, I can't find it now. It seemed to be available at most Westlake Hardwares around here.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Hi Rosie! Glad you asked this info, I have done lots of styrofoam pcs and it is a good idea to seal the mirror back...I started using nail polish on the back but as I started to use more mirror, I bought a can of clear spray paint sealer type stuff, there is also spray stuff specifically for the job.I use sanded grout as it is less messy when grouting. We have also been known to add a bit of craft paint to the grout to add color instead of just white grout.

My Pics

Â
    Free Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

• ringaroundtherosie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG.........have not been sealing the back of the mirrors. I do have cans of spray sealer. I'll get busy on that for the remainder of the trees and ornaments that we need to do. I have used mirror before for projects - even outside ones- and they have not turned black. I have one in my garden now that I made this spring, and it looks the same as it did the day I put it out there. Maybe it was the type of glue I used, don't know. I should have asked you guys BEFORE I started this project; although all is not lost because we only have three of them done, and we have several more to do including a 24" styrofoam tree. Thanks so much for your valuable input.

Rosie

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Your little mouse is sooo cute, Jane! I was wondering if you had to put anything on the stryofoam first or do you just use as is and start glueing? Good luck with your trees,Rosie...would LOVE to see some pics!

• ringaroundtherosie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Cindiloo,

Thanks for posting. I was curious as well if Jane put anything on her mouse. I did not put anything on the styrofoam. We are using Liquid Nails (clear) and Decorator's Choice glue. I tried several kinds of which several did not adhere. The Decorator's Choice was purchased at Hobby Lobby, and Liquid Nails at Wal-mart. I will be grouting one this weekend then I want to put it on a little wooden painted base. This guys I work with told me he had some blue mirror he would donate to our project, and I was so excited until he brought it. It was plain mirror tiles with turquoise veins in it...yuck. I can still cut around it and use the mirror. I will try my best to post one when it is finished. Several of us are working on them, and we all have our own style - no two will look alike that's for sure.

Rosie

• ringaroundtherosie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

It's taken be a while, but I finally finished the mosaic mirror christmas trees and balls for our recent church arts and crafts fair. They were a hit. Sold all but two 24 inch trees. I made 6, 12, 15, 18 and 24 inch ones. Balls and ornaments in various sizes. I strung white Christmas lights and lit various white peppermint candles. It was a sparkly and beautiful display. I've gotten several requests to fill orders......but maybe not this year. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rosie

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Rosie you have very pretty trees there. And another project is added to my list of things to do in the future. Glad that these different questions get posted because we all learn from them. Seems like there is always someone who is wanting to try a new way to use something. It ends up being a lesson in art. I have read several comments on using styrofoam for mosaics. There always seems to be new ideas to add to the way things are done.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Rosie! Your display is so wonderful! I'm glad you sold so much. I woulda' had to buy something too if I'd seen them. On your round balls did you cut the small mirror pieces?

• wackyweeder
    15 years ago

The glue you use matters. I think liquid nails clr is ok. also, If you get low fume or aquarium grade silicone, its ok for mirror. Its the curing process of the silicone that creates acetic acid (vinegar smell) that damages the mirror backing. aquarium grade silicone doesnt do this. One brand is Loctite. there are 2 kinds, look for the one that says aquarium safe.

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

They turned out wonderful. So glad you sold almost all of them. Great job

• ringaroundtherosie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Daisy,

Thanks for the compliment. All the mirror and stained glass pieces were hand cut. I had several people who thought we just bought the pieces and glued them on. Now that would have been too easy, huh? The pieces on the balls have to be cut to fit the curvature of it. The triangle shaped pieces of mirror on the trees were tricky too because if they were too big, they wouldn't lay flat and were hard to grout. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rosie

• texaswild
    15 years ago

VERY pretty, RING: You did a wonderful job, and it makes me want to get excited about the holidays. They'll be here soon, and I haven't prepared for anything mosaicy yet for my decorations. I can just imagine how beautiful your arrangements are w/candlelite.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I did not do anything to my styrofoam, just started glueing to it. Your Christmas crafts are sooo pretty!! It makes me in the mood too!!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Beautiful display! Wish I could have been there so I could have bought the last 2!!

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Wow... they are lovely, Rosie! Beautiful display... and each one is lovely, too! No wonder you did so well!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022