Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silvamae

Next project: an obelisk . . . inspired by a recent post

silvamae
14 years ago

This is a very heavy glass vase that a friend broke. It belonged to her grandmother and was passsed down to her, so she was devastated. I found the top half at a thrift shop; I think it may have held a candle and hung in a metal bracket. I turned it upside down and glued onto the top of the vase (after gluing the vase together). I will post more pics later; I just started gluing it today.

Comments (23)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

It's very pretty!!! What a gorgeous vase. i bet she's just sick. Oh well you'll make it beautiful again!!!

• taigen_gw
    14 years ago

Oh how perfect they are together!! It will look fantastic in the garden. I am so anxious to start mine :(

• katishooked
    14 years ago

I am stunned. Jaw dropping beautiful.

Kat

• texaswild
    14 years ago

LOVE assemblages, and this one is perfect.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's an update; click on the link, and then click on the image. The sun glared on the prettiest glass, which is amethyst, and you can still see bare spots, like the top of the point. This is opening up a whole new world for me, ladies. I can see combining the totem and obelisk for the garden! Oh I wish I was about 20 to 30 years younger!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

SILVA: This is lookin good girl. I'm lovin it!!!! WOW

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Slowmedown, my new favorite word is now: Assemblage. Love it; thank you.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Very nice.
    How tall is it?

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It is small, only about 14 inches tall. Next I want to do one much taller, maybe 5 feet, and use thinset and put it in the garden.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Check it out - finished glueing, now will grout hopefully tomorrow, then I will be done and put it in the mail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's blog - progress on obelisk

• texaswild
    14 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. This is gorgeous. She is gonna LOVE it. Do you have pieces to "assemble" for your next one, or w/you use the mesh/concrete technique? I so love the pointy top idea for a column/obelisk. Anxious to see your WIP start. Hurrrrrrry.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay guys. I am a leeetle freaked out right now. My heart is pitter-patter-ing and I have a few light chills. I just finished grouting the "obelisk" or "assemblage" as I now choose to call it, and Well, I can't really talk about it or I will start bawling. Anyway, please come in and see it, grouted. After sealing, I will paint the grout in a metallic color, probably black, and ship it to my cyber friend in California.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh it turned out just GORGEOUS!!!! What a wonderful gift!!!! Great job girl!! Wow yur light is shining through!!!!!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Oh you l'il heifer!!!!!!!!! Too beautiful for words, and doncha just love it when something so simple turns out so beautiful? Unbelieveable that no light surrounds it except a cloudy daylight, and you get such wonderful effects. But, of course, you anticipated that when you put those fabulous pieces of glass in it. Re your crying, I cried most of the way through making Suzie's shrine to her life and profession. She cried so much she loaded it in her Jeep and took off for home. It was divinely inspired. I'm so happy for you that you've discovered a new road to explore in your art. Chase that rabbit - we'll be behind you craving pictures.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement. I finished it today and it will be shipped tomorrow. I am so happy with it and I'm ready to do another one, a BIG one.

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Gorgeous Silva. It turned out better than I could even picture it would. Your friend will be very surprised and pleased I am sure.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

WOW!!! I'm glad I came back to this as I thought you were done with just glueing it together, I didn't catch on that you were mosaicing it! duh! It has turned out so nice!!!!

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, and look how neat your grouting is!!!!!

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

Oh wow, this is beautiful. In a partly sunny spot in the garden an absolute eyecatcher. good job!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

Yes that did turn out GREAT!!!!!!~

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Katishooked, Wackyweeder, Nanatricia . . . Nanatricia, you may be interested in visiting this wonderful sculpture gallery I discovered this weekend; it's right outside of Johnson City. Here's a photo of a perpetual motion metal and glass sculpture. See my blog for more info.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Wonderful pictures, SILVA. Dang it, SILVA, you're making me VERY homesick for the Austin area. I loved living there.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aww Slow, I know what you mean; Austin just can't be beat. The ONLY thing I would change about this area, if I could, would be the long hot summers. Maybe throw in a few days of under 100 degree weather during the month of August.

Sponsored