Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emtnest

18X26 Window

emtnest
14 years ago

OK, I might be biting off more than I can chew here, but I want to do a glass on glass using photos that I have taken up around our camp in the high sierras. Not all of my photos are to the right scale here, but just to give an idea of what I want to include...imagine the flowers, mountain, and critters without alot of background...It is to be mountain, lake in front, flowers and critters...not sure but I might have to paint the mountain first... feedback welcome... thanks.

Comments (47)

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Oh EMT I look forward to see ing this take shape. Wow it will be beautiful....

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder if those Alaskan agates can be cut in half?

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Yikes! I was going to start a window, but nothing like this!
    Be sure to keep up soooo posted!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Yes U can cut agates! Do it all the time!!! Hurry and show us what yur doing!!!! I get too impatient LOL!!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Was able to start at least on the window. I just hope my perspective is gonna be ok here. This is what I've found in a box of scrap glass that I got from a stained glass shop. Also, did the dragonfly out of the little tiny square tiles cut up. The colored rocks are Alaskan Agates from Cathyscashe...thanks Cathy, it's hard to get a good photo without reflection.

• addiesue
    14 years ago

That's gonna be BEAUTIFUL...can't wait to see it finished!

Addiesue

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh!!! This is Looking GOOD!!! I thought you were gonna just put the pics in there...this is really cool!!! Love what you've done so far, the dragonfly, flowers, really like the tree!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks... I have found out that all glass doesn't nip the same...had 3 itty bitty pieces fly projectile into my hand and arm while nipping!!!! OUCH...and I'm a bleeder.
    If anyone has advice on how to get long grasses and stems out of glass please let me know... by the time I get it thin enough it breaks. Arghhh. Are others doing it because of their skill or their tools or both?

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well I've forged ahead and found some colorful stuff, like beach glass and the little tiles.. they make great leaves and such. OK, I am still open to constructive criticism here, so if anyone has any advice please pass it on. The tree stump now looks to be maybe too large to me now that it's glued down, especially in comparison to the tree that is supposed to be further away...should I make my tree taller?
    I'm working outside on this on my patio. Found myself out there last night at about one in the morning...

• katishooked
    14 years ago

I love it. Always like to see scenery on windows. Someday might do one of my own.

Kat

• chinatreasures
    14 years ago

Your progress is great so far!! I'm loving it!

I've never done anything like this and don't know if it would work, but have you tried the "stringers" that torch artists use for beads - not sure that's what they're called? I have no idea how expensive they are, but I think they come in lots of colors. Also, there are some with multi colors inside - millefiori or something like that. You could cut little pieces of that and lay it on the side for small flowers. Does that help any?

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, come to think of it I have some millefiori... will have to get it out and see... thnx

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

OH EMT!!!! It is going to beautiful!!! No I haven't got to the saw yet. Maybe tomorrow. I've been in orgainze mode when I don't have my hands on one of 3 pieces I've been working on. I plan to grout in the morning so maybe I'll get out the saw first.
    Your window is going to be fabulous!!!!!!!! Cathy

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I know what you mean Cathy, I have so much stuff ready to grout and then I start a new project... shame on me...

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

MT! This is going to look amazing. I would never have thought about doing the collage that you did to set your pattern. I was looking back at the first photo and it was a brilliant idea. I understand working until late...you get engrossed. Do you have a saw? Did you cut the rocks at the bottom? Thanks for the photos it is going to be so beautiful.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gardencrone, no I didn't cut the rocks, just used ones that would fit, yes I have a tile saw... can one cut rock with tile saw? Never tried it...thanks for nice comments.. since this one is a first like this I am so leery of the depth perception... trying to figure out how to do the water and mountains..any suggestions welcome.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Downright amazing, girlie. You know what you're doing - you don't need any help. This is gonna be spectacular. No way w/I try something like this. You have terrific talent - so anxious to see this one finished.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh come on now...I am new to this...I do need help...I'm so happy... I put in a bid on ebay at the last 30 seconds and won a taurus 2 ring saw!!!! Great price too I might say... should be here next week sometime.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here we go again...

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Looking gooooooooood, girlie. Hey, you could almost use your back yard as a pattern for another one, huh? That big ole rock behind the daisies looks great. This is gonna be beautiful.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

EMT: It is looking AMAZING!!!! Very beautiful.... I'll try to get to that saw today. Sorry just been so busy!!!! Maybe today will be the day. Will you be able to cut curves with yur new saw? That what I want. Be able to cut curves. Then I could cut out flowers and shapes with all the larger tiles I have.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

CATH: Cutting curves was the reason I bought the Taurus. You'll be amazed at what you can do w/it. Get on it TODAY, and show us some pictures. Doncha remember NT's hearts she cut from a blue/white plate for the bracelets? Oh, my - you are in for some wonderful explorations.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Slow I was thinking maybe I should incorporate that big rock into the scene as well...and Yes that Taurus ringsaw will cut curves... hasn't arrived yet and we are going out of town for a few days.
    This one has been slow going for me... trying to decide just what to do and where to do it....thanks all

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That is looking so good !!!

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

EMT: What did U pay for yur saw if U don't mind me asking?? Just wondering cause I'm gonna get me one!!!! I want to be able to cut curves!!! Checking e-bay right now....And other places.....

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy, it was $204 plus $30 shipping. But,even with that much shipping it was less than the others that sold near the same time...good luck
    Got my dragonflies and some mosaic balls into a high end art gallery in Mt. Shasta... wanted my bigger stuff in there but they didn't have room.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

Thanks EMT....I gonna be on the look out for one. I really want to cut curves....

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here it is after working on it today... not sure I like it anymore and I'm sure I don't like the water...maybe a big flower plopped between those two pink ones would help to cover it up? Yikes...

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Emtnest....this is absolutely stunning! What color are you gonna grout it? I swear the flowers look SO real! LOVE IT!

Addiesue

• katishooked
    14 years ago

Good Lord EM, this is one great piece of art. I like everything you have put in it. Now I like the lake, but as I was looking to see what you were seeing, maybe after grouting you could add a log, duck, a boat shape as a 3-d type thing. Personally I wouldn't change a thing.

Kat

• silvamae
    14 years ago

That is just wonderful! I don't know how I missed this post before. Wow, what a beautiful window.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

You did it, girlie: Don't touch it. BEAUTIFUL.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

It is lovely just the way it is!!! You could always add the stuff Kati mentioned, but it really looks good as is too!!!!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

What a beauty and an inspiration.
    I always have a hard time getting an inspired vision, and using photos is such a great idea!
    I love it just as it is.
    EM, you have created a real memory piece.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm astounded at the positive feedback since I was thinking it wasn't that great... now maybe I'll finish it!!! Thanks All, you're the greatest!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think it is ready for grout. Would you add anything? I used tg to fill in.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

PERFECT - looks like you could step into it and wander through it and find a spot for a picnic. Go grout!

• texasfern
    14 years ago

Yeah, my name and address on a large box!
    That is fabulous!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks...Fern you be funny....grout will have to wait, I've got the flu really bad...another day..

• fldirt
    14 years ago

WOW! That is really beautiful. Reminds me of my visit out to Oregon. Love how you made the trees. Very nice.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally... I am pleased with the results.

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Well girlie, you should be that is absolutely MAGNIFICIENT!!!!!!!!!

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    14 years ago

I am in awe... Thank-you for letting us see how you progressed with this work of art and brought it to such amazing fruition!! It is spectacular!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is hanging on my patio.. don't think I want to sell it.

• iminmystudio
    14 years ago

That is beautiful,it looks like a magical wonderland.

• texasfern
    14 years ago

And pleased you should be!
    It is awesome! Glad you are keeping it.

• emtnest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for such great feedback while working on this window. I had my doubts at first...you are all great!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!