Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redpandasmom

fiberglass tile mesh

redpandasmom
15 years ago

I was just surfing mosaic sites and came actoss a video using fiberglass tile mesh. Seems like a great idea to be able to sit at a table and glue patterns on mesh squares, let dry and then thinset them onto your project like a puzzle. Has anyone tried this and does it work as well as it looks? I don't have much experience, but I know who to ask when I have a problem, the experts on this forum. Thanks for all the valuable lessons you teach us!

Comments (8)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Lots of mosaicists use the mesh, RED. Go to FLAG's thread a few subjects down, go into her Flickr photo album and see where she is using it for work on the arms of a swing. She uses it lots of times. It seems like a very good idea for areas that are too large for a work table, or in my case, hard to get to on the floor or ground. I must try that sometime. It would be good for working on a fireplace - an idea I'm toying with. I'm sure others on this forum w/come answer your question.

• flagtruck
    15 years ago

Red, I use the mesh a lot like Slow said. I have several examples in my flickr album. I am presently doing arms and back of a swing in my yard. I draw the outline of the arms, do it in marker, lay it out on the table, cut mesh to fit, then I slide a piece of wax paper between the mesh and the pattern and start gluing. After I have finished, I wait for the glue to dry, lift the mesh, pull off the wax paper and turn it mesh side up to dry for at least 24 hrs. Then trim the mesh to the tile and place thinset on your substrate and adhere the mosaic. Wait another 24 hrs and grout as you would any other mosaic. I did some frogs for the side of my flower pot, the checkerboards for my backsplash. the inset on a purple pot and the arms of another swing I finished a month or two ago.
    I like being able to sit at the worktable and do these designs that are easier to do on mesh, than trying to stand on your head or whatever to get the job done. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr photos

• sereneseen
    15 years ago

Red,

I use fiberglass mesh for most of my projects because of the lack of time I have to work on projects for long periods of time. Using mesh allows me to glue pieces down as time allows and walk away with little cleanup. Mesh also allows me to easily change the design of a project midway through without much extra work. Mesh doesn't work very well on tight curved surfaces.

SereneSeen

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I'm doing my backsplash on fiberglass mesh in coffee table-sized strips - on top of waxed paper, on the coffee table. We are casual folk and our friends are used to my art projects. (I will have a functioning studio in a couple of months)

PS - I've keep my tiles in a muffin tin for so long that tonight I wanted to make cornbread muffins and made regular cornbread instead because I forgot I had a muffin tin!!!!:) -

• texaswild
    15 years ago

L.O.L., BETTY: Lots of my kitchen utensils have succumbed to the disease too.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Oh, that's funny Betty! But great tip to use muffin tins to hold tess!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I have this bunch of mesh I have had for years, and since I don't have much work space, this will work great for me!
    I can just cut little squares and mosaic and then find something to put them on!
    Ok, if this makes no sense, take into consideration that I have been on meds for my back for 3 days.

• sheba2892
    15 years ago

Hi flagtruck, would love to know how you prepared the mosaic shoe in your beautiful album! Is it posssible to tell me how? Those shoes(and everything else) are just beautiful! I thnk I could put the mosaics on but how do you prepare the shoe to hold them. Thank you for your time, Sheba

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor