Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pvc pipe column

Posted by redpandasmom (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 08 at 14:30

I have a large diameter pvc pipe to make a mosaiced garden column. Do I need to rough up the surface first. Do I use thinset or GE silicone? What could I use for a top? I plan to drive rebar inside to stabilize it as I want to display an angel statue. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pvc pipe column

If I was you,( and I wish the column was here instead of your house)I would take a sander and course sandpaper and sand it down, then make a mixture of thinset thick but paintable and paint a coat on. Thinset will then work just fine on this. GEII will also work, but thinset is cheaper.

o

Ditto what flag said. I have also roughened the surface, sprayed it with plastic primer and worked directly over that; HOWEVER (big exception here) my climate may be different fron yours. I am in north central TX where we rarely get subfreezing temps, snow or ice.

HTH,
Pat

o

I haven't gotten into mosaics, but am thinking about trying it. Where can I find thinset?

o

Thinset is in every home improvement store...Home Depot ..
Lowe's..True Value...etc!

o

I use old cement sewer drain tiles and mortar them together, and using a cement stepping stone at the bottom and top for a base and top. I have also filled my wiremesh mushrooms with gravel so they are sturdy when I placed them...

Here is a link that might be useful: mushrooms

o

In a magazine a couple years ago, I saw some very large pvcs done for a lady's garden. I'd do as FLAG suggested, being sure to really sand it well. Then just use thinset. If it has enough "tooth" to grab the mortar, it'll be just fine w/o the thin coat first, IMO.

o

I do appreciate all the very good advice.The angel came in the mail and is much too delicate to put on the pvc column.New plans.....I have a metal clothes dryer drum that will make a perfect base, and a stepping stone will cover the hole. At least part of it will be mosaiced, maybe the rest will be faux stone spray.

o

Don't forget about those cardboard tubes at Lowes, used to make columns. They work beautifully. I used them to make my first garden column.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here