Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are the edges of my dishes too sharp?

Posted by CindyWe (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 14:01

My first mosaic table and I was going to incorporate some broken china.
I think the grout might cover some of the sharp edges but I'm not sure?
They are not really that sharp and I'm wondering if the grout will cover the rough edges well enough or if I need to take them off. Any advice please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are the edges of my dishes too sharp?

Most people don't smooth the edges. I do, and there are several ways to do it.

A quick way is to put all your pieces in a container and fill with water to the top of the pieces. Add a drop of dishwashing detergent. Gently shake and turn for about 20 minutes or so and take a piece out and check the edges. A clever way that someone wrote about is, she carries the container around in her car, back and forth to work, and by the weekend, the edges are smooth and she's ready to mosaic. I would set the container inside a cardboard box, just in case it leaked. I like to use those 48 oz. plastic containers that Texmati rice comes in because they have a wide opening.

Another way is to drag a kitchen sharpener across the edge, paying particular attention to any pointy areas. I buy kitchen sharpeners in the local hardware store. It's a carborundum stone with a wooden handle, and costs less than $10.00. It sounds like too much work, but it goes quickly.

Some people on here use an old ice cream freezer; they remove the paddle and tilt it at an angle in their kitchen sink (I think that's how it's done?). I haven't tried that myself.

Have fun and post pics, please.

o

Thank you all for the help! I was going to post a picture of my progress, but not sure if it can be done from my iPhone.

o

I always smooth mine. I either shake them in a cool whip container, or I put them in the rock tumbler that the wonderful CalamityJ gave me. Just 10 minutes. Then if I cut anything smaller to fit while I'm putting the mosaic together, I use a whet stone that I bought at the mosaic store. I keep it sitting in a pot of water an rub the freshly cut edge,
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here