Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stepping stone question

Posted by mad_about_mickey (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 13:50

I am fairly new to this and have a question.
If I have broken a plate and want to use the pieces to cover a premade concrete or brick stepping stone: do i need to use thinset or can I use GE II and then grout it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stepping stone question

Hi Mad, I just finished a bunch of stepping stones, the premade concrete ones. I used a good bed of thinset on the stone then smooshed in jewelry, broken china and other found things. They came out great, I think. This makes the stone really heavy though. Enjoy doing them and post pics when done. Cheers, Vee

o

Hi Mad, all my stepping stones were made with GEII and then grouted. They are doing fine. Been outside for over a year.

Kat

o

Hey, MAD: I prefer thinset for all outside projects. One of these days I'm gonna try the push and sqush method - saves grouting.

o

Can't wait to see them!

o
RE: Stepping stone question reply

Well, it started out as a plate with a picture of a sun with a face on it. i pictured it broken and re glued to a larger plate and then grouted and hung up under my lean to potting shed. I was looking all summer for a microwave carosel plate, at a yard sale or flea mkt and couldn't find one. So I bought a large clear plate and started by breaking the 'sun' plate. Now it appears that the clear plate is not quite as flat as it seemed. That is why i asked about the stepping stone. I even saved all the edge pieces to place around the edge and have one more of the 'sun' plates to break for egde pieces. All I need to do is break a red plate and a blue plate for the fill in....and decide what way to go... decisions ....decisions...Oh- I have done a few door stops out of bricks and tiles and then grouted them. They turned out pretty good. But they were only for indoor use.That was my first use of nippers. Makes hands hurt.

o

Tell me about hurting hands!!! I've been using the nippers on plates too for the two planters. Anxious to see some pictures, girlie.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here