Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hardyplank crosses

Posted by oldcrafty (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 13, 10 at 13:15

Has anyone used hardyplank as a substrate for mosaics? A new shop opened up and she had some beautiful pieces. Lots were made to hang and she stated they were done on hardyplank so they were outdoor pieces and was sealed real good. They were very pretty. Would you just afix the tess with thinset and then grout? She did gorgeous welcome signs to hang. She also had mosaiced a flat piece of ??? and then framed it, and on a couple of the framed pieces she had a cross attached. Very impressive. Too bad I couldn't score some pics.......think she would have frowned on that!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hardyplank crosses

I've used Hardibacker or Backerboard for substrates on my patio - picture follows. It's what is used in bathrooms and kitchens - a concrete-based material - comes in sheets of 4'X8'. Lowes sells a tool for scoring the board or you can use a box cutter knife. I used thinset and grout.
Patio project - circus tent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here