Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Another Commission Turned Gift - a Mask

texaswild
15 years ago

My friend Jan requested I make a mask for a Christmas present for her twin sister Ann. We were taking the usual house tour to show the new things Ann hadn't seen since her last visit, which was during the Riana workshop, and Ann had admired the mask hanging on my den wall. What can I say - can't charge a friend. Here 'tis.

Jan's Gift

Comments (12)

• terikat_mom
    15 years ago

Sooo cool! I am always in awe of the color combo that you use. Your pieces are always so vibrant!

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

nice mask, what kind of mask did you use?
    very colorfull and pretty
    i'm the same way, can't bring myself to charge a relative or a friend for anything. sometimes they will just pay for the materials

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Wow! This is AMAZING!! You create such wonderful art....you don't plan, do you...it's just that magic gene you have? Wish you could spare me a drop of that...just a drop and I'd be happy! Very, very nice, Slow!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Another STRIKING Slow creation!!! Wozer!! I hear the drums banging and teh dancing all around. Just love it. Incredible use of color and design. What a great idea for the nose!! LOL, so so cool and inspiring.

Your friend is one lucky person. Ditto what everyone else says, You are so very very talented

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

At first glance, I thought it was the guy who lights up! But this is an african mask guy isn't he? You've used handles in so many ways now!! COOL!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It was a metal mask like the very first one I made and sold. I THINK I got them at TJMax or Ross - can't remember. This is the third one, and I hope noone else wants one cuz this one was boring to do. CINDI - I don't plan ANYTHING. Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me - you have a warehouse full of drops of the same stuff of which you speak. I LOVE your work!!!!!

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Slow, what a fabulous mask! It's amazing to me that you said you got bored doing this. I love the headdress and how the beads come down under the eyes from there. I think it's incredible, and I'm not usually a fan of masks. Great work from a great artist!

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

Oh, this is gorgeous, I love everything about it! Question: what do you use for adhesive when working with metal as a substrate? I was unsure if I could use a metal substrate. I've seen some interesting metal objects, but didn't buy them because I was not sure if it could be mosaiced.

Anyway, I can't say enough how much I like this one! I keep goin' back to take another look, and just love the colors and shapes you used.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

She picked it up yesterday, and oooohed and ahhhhhed, so I think it was a hit. DAISEY: Thanks. GC - thank you too. On the other two masks I've done, and other metal work, I used GEII, but since I seldom use that stuff anymore, I just used Aleen's Quick-Dry glue - works fine. I like Aleen's better on most things than Weldbond, cuz it drys more quickly.

• ladyronnie
    15 years ago

SLOW! Tell ANN and JAN that I said HELLO! I miss all of you, every time I think of all the fun we had in Texarkana! Sure wish I could join you in PV!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    15 years ago

W/do, LADY: They are such a pair. Yes, it WAS a fun workshop, and I sooooooo wish you could go to PV. If you think the TX workshop was fun, multiply that by a thousand, and you'll know why I'm committed to going every year. Save your money for next year.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

Wow, I can't believe I didn't comment on this!! I love it!! Glad to hear she did , too!!

Sponsored