Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasfern

creating a 'sand' look on glass

texasfern
15 years ago

First I just want to say I miss you guys so much.

Lots going on here, and now with Ike on the way, I'm trying to make sure we are good.

I have been working on a window, inspired by some tessy that Ramona sent and I want to create a "beach". I was thinking I could use grout with some weldbond in it and kinda smear it on the glass. Is this possible? I want it to have some depth and texture that is why I was going with the grout thing.

Thanks ya'll.

Comments (16)

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

I sure hope IKE decides not to stop by your place! Yikes!
    Your windows sounds interesting. Pick up a cheap picture frame at a TS and test out your grout and weldbond theory...it sounds interesting! Take care!

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the camera, so here's a couple of pics.
    I knew someone would tell me to experiment first, that is the smart thing to do!
    The open space at the bottom is where the "beach" will be.
    Oh, and I have titled it "No Worries."
    {{!gwi}}
    Heres a close up of the beautiful beads that Ramona sent with some I already had. Ramona's beads are totally responsible for the inspiration.
    {{!gwi}}
    I do plan on grouting the leaves.
    {{!gwi}}

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Texas first of all I hope you and yours will stay safe. I love your window. Can't wait to see it finished.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Way cool!! Those beads are so tropical, bahama-mama looking! Is that TG that you painted? Can't wait to see this done!

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

Texas, I really really like this. It DOEs look tropical and No Worries type look.

Please be very careful with Ike, are you evacuating??

Can't wait to see how your beachy area looks. Good luck

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We once again, missed the bullet so to speak.
    The sun is shinning, slight breeze, but I am having to water the lawn!
    I do have family in Houston, they are fine.
    Thanks for all the kind words and concern.
    I haven't done a thing on the window, hope to today if my back will allow me.
    Cindi I am not sure what TG is, but it is crash glass, some I painted before it broke it and some clear.

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! Now that my brain kicked in, I know what TG is, duh!

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

This Window is looking good - colorful and fun. I can't wait to see it finished.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, that is sooooooooooo neat. I have a huge banana tree in my front yard (gonna cover the house if I don't divide it), and your leaves look JUST LIKE THOSE ON MY TREE. WONDERFUL project. I seem to remember a desert scene one of our bunch made recently, and I THINK she actually used real sand on it. Glue, sprinkle sand????? Would that work?

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Hi Texasfern,

I have a bit of an offbeat suggestion, but could you use seed beads in a sand/neutral colored hue in place of actual sand? I have seen it used in place of grout for things like small lamp shades (when the weight and light blocking attributes of grout aren't wanted), but maybe it would be a nice alternative to blocking the light with real sand. I think that you just thinly butter the area with silicone and press them in...

Just a thought!

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Excellent idea, PGH:

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I did it, and I'm not too happy with it.
    I went ahead and used grout with weldbond. Soon as I did it I knew that I should have used sand so as to blend with the rest of the glass on glass look.
    I don't even want to post a picture. I may try to get it off.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

OH, at least let us see so we will know what NOT to do...and maybe, just maybe, it's NOT as BAD as you think!!

• texasfern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, sure the "voice of reason"! Ok, now the problem is that someone has done something to my computer and I can't load pictures. Gotta work on this darn thing and soon as I can I will post a pic.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Uh huh! Doncha be messin' w/our minds here, TEX. You KNOW we're anxious to see your piece. We'll fix it for you. Probably doesn't even NEED fixin' - not near as bad as you imagine.

• mmqchdygg
    15 years ago

Why not use real sand or gravel, and either put resin over it or not...here's a great example being worked on. See page 4 for specific pic:

http://www.mosaicandstainedglass.org/forums/index.php?topic=2023.45

(cut and paste that)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES