Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large silver tray - mosaic or not???

Posted by cathyscache (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 11:47

I found this very large silverplated "Sheffield" tray @ a garge sale and was thinking of mosaicing it. I checked out Sheffield on line. Turns out they are the ones who discovered silverplating over copper but were later taken over by Barton and Reed so there is not much actually said about Sheffield. This has small spots on it where the copper is showing through. It mega in size, 26in long and 20in wide. It is the largest tray I've ever seen. A large 24lb turkey would seem small on this tray!!! It has beautiful ornate feet and is quite heavy. Should I mosaic it or just leave it as it is??? I paid $10 for this gorgeous find!!! Anyone have some advise????? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver tray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large silver tray - mosaic or not???

If YOU want to mosaic it...then do so!!! It's gonna be beautiful either way, maybe enjoy it as it is for a while, then mosaic. I mosaiced a tea set that would look awesome on that! We(here on the Forum) went on a kick a few yrs ago, where we were all mosaicing trays and tea sets!lol! What fun!

o

CALAM: I've been researching this tray. I think I might wait on mosaicing it. It may be worth a bunch. Might possibly be real old, like 1800's. Not sure but it is a possibility I guess. So I am gonna wait for now..Later

o

Have you checked eBay for these trays? The prices vary wildly. I think you are wise to wait and check it out; it may be worth a lot of money. I have mosaiced lots of trays but they were all aluminum and they are fun to mosaic.

o

Yes Silva I did and I got on an antique forum and they are trying to find out something for me. They are thinking it may be very old and valuable. We'll see. Either way i think I'm not going to mosaic it. I'll find another that isn't so old I guess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here