Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mermaidmosaics

Beadboard Sink Mermaid Cottage WIP

Mermaid
15 years ago

This is my first try at using mesh for my mosaics. Started the mermaid mosaic for the main doors of cabinet. last night. Here is the plain jain cheepo beadboard sink.

The fish, seahorse, blue crab(looks more like a crab in real life) and starfish will be on the apron part, the doors will have two different mermaids on them. The aqua blue "sea" will be around each mermaid, maybe with some coral or seagrass.. haven't gone there yet. Don't ask me what I was thinking about when I made the first one, but she bears a amazing resemblance to wonderwoman. :rofl: :rofl: I really wasn't planning that, just trying out color combinations and this is it. . :lol: :lol:

center>

Comments (40)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

GOODGRIEF, MER!!!!! Excuuuuuuuse me - You're a new mosaicist and you're like a house on fire! I'm amazed at your progress. Must mean your mosaic art has been screaming to be discovered. I wish you'd been here when I sketched out my fish plaque. I LOVE your fish, sea - nah, no single thing - I LOVE it all! This is gonna be spectacular. Boy, you are really cookin' on the front burner. Way to go.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Oh! I love, love, love this! How fun it will be!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kudos Slow and Daisy, I'm having fun with this one. I can do whatever I want, no gift for anyone but me, and it is fun having an open let your imagination fly, I don't know if I would EVER be good at doing commissions for people, because it just zaps my creativity(if I ever had any-LOL)

I gave her pearls for a necklace, hard to see, and used an old earring my sister had given me for her belt. Stayed awake until late gluing cuz I was caught up in the moment.

now i gotta figure out what color to make her pet dolphin... I don't have any gray or brown, hmmmm.. nothing says it has to be right?

Can't wait to see the next SLow masterpiece, and Daisy, that beautiful tray with shards was awesome.. w hacha working on next??/

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Whatever you do it will be beautiful!! Love the coloring in all the little critters! Mermaid looks good too!! Can't wait for the final pics! Way to go!! Jan

• katishooked
    15 years ago

I love your colors, brilliant. I love you plans for your cab doors. Wonderful. Hurry up and finish so we can see your completed creation.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Lookin' Good! Now I want the sink in my studio even more now that I see the possibility of mosaicing it!!! And a mosaiced fridge!!! What about beads or jewelery for the dolphin? Make him Really a fish outta water!lol!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calam,

I bought this at Lowes for under $100, it's just a utility sink enclosed in a cabinet, much better looking than just a utility sink, but gets as dirty ROFL!!!

I just made the dolphin greenish, shucks should have read this be4 i glued. Still there are ways....

Having a blast.

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

WoW! Your project is so cool! The colors are gorgeous!

I love the seahorse,it stands out so much to me, it looks so lifelike already! Thank you for sharing the process!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

. Here is my latest update. I glued the starfish, fishy mesh to the sink last night and put blue tape to keep it in place and took off today, nice and sturdy. just have to add more blue to fill in and then grout. Used Mac glue for the first time on the right side, left side rest of my aleene's tacky glue. Had a mini disaster when the aalene's side fell off, which is why i did mac on the other side, and put the painters tape to hold in place.

Here is the progress on mermaid one, mermaid two starting this weekend some time.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Looks good, but I'm a bit confused about the glue. Did you glue the whole mesh piece on with MAC and the Alene's? I would have thought you had to use thinset to put the whole mesh piece on to the sink front.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cindi,

I might have screwed up here, it was late, I was too tired to mix some thinset, and thought it might bleed through since I was going to grout it..

so i just put tons of mac on one side, and allene's on the other, hope to finish with more tile to fill in and then grout. was hoping the grout would hold everything on..

I think I will use thinset for the mermaid, because she is a much heavier, bigger piece.

keep your fingers crossed I didn't mess it up... I guess if it falls down, I can always put it up with thinset next time.. EEEKKKKK

Now I have to figure out how I am going to keep this clean, what kind of sealer/coating/something that i can wipe clean.... Should have thought of t hat before I started this project. LOL

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Catching up in here is so much fun!
    What a great project.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I added kelp and a few seashells to my mermaid because I didn't really measure the length of the cabinet. (DUH) LOL. So I added kelp to the bottom and debating what I will add over her head, probably fishy's and other sealife.
    Didn't make any progress last night but here she is so far. I just saw an errant kelp piece on her hair, not supposed to be there. ROFL. And the very tip of the dolphin's snout isn't glued down yet

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Wow. This is going to be sooooo cool.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Gorgeous piece of work. Can't wait to see it grouted ond finished.

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Wow! What a cool project, love the mermaid theme! Can't wait to see it grouted.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

You absolutely amaze me! New mosaicist, and you can turn out a piece like this!!!!!! Wanna give me lessons??? It's truly beautiful.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shucks..you gals always warm my heart. Thanks. Slow, HA HA, I appreciate the comments but you know, you are the QUEEN, and every time I look at one of your pieces, they just speak to me.

Squirrley, Texas , Kati and all, What COLOR grout shall I use??? I have no clue right now. Still got a long way to go before I grout, I wanted to do both panels before I start the grout process

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

Wow, mermaid, this is soooo pretty! What an amazing job, that mermaid is shaped perfectly! Love the colors, and the details, too.

I haven't tried anything on mesh yet, so am glad you are posting this wip, it is helpful to see others do the work so I know what to expect.

Very nice, can't wait to see it all together!

• litsapizza
    15 years ago

Stunning! Can't wait!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update here. got some more tiles at Delphi so ready to start again. I took the cabinet door off to get placement right and for grouting. Good thing because I need to get rid of some tiles.

here she is. need some help on grout colors and course need to do some fooling with dolphin's head . I used some beautiful tiles I got from Silvamae in the exchange which I love!! They are blue waves with yellow background. I thought they wree the perfect touch! Now I need to get teh placement right.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

. here she goes, grouted in gray. Little miss mermaid

I've changed my mind regarding second mermaid, I just didn't like how she would be as a mosaic, it was a stained glass pattern, so going to do a mirror image and make the second mermaid a red head and also she will have a different outfit, no wonderwoman for her.. :lol: :lol:

[

• katishooked
    15 years ago

great job mermaid. I like the way this turned out. I got a cupboard sat at a gs and in the back of my mind I could see your project for inspiration. Not sure what I'll do but like the water scape idea.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Fabulous job of the whole project, MER. I LOVE this, especially your waves at the top. You are something else - new mosaicist, and put out work like this. Way to go. Hope you don't get bored doing a mirror image. I'd have to change it a bit - can't seem to do any design twice. Take a bow - good work.

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kati and Slow. Slow, you are a doll to say such nice things. I'm really pleased with this one and am so much enjoying learning and reading and looking at everything that is mosiacs. I'm sorry it took me this long to find it. It all started with our new pool bath and picking out that gorgeous Illuminati tiles. They just spoke to me and from them on, I was hooked. Always wanted to learn how to draw and paint, and am teaching myself but it doesn't come natural to me.

Yes,I get bored doing the same thing twice, so this one is going to be quite a bit different( I hope)

What do you think it is about mosaics that gets us all???

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

It's been a pleasure to watch your progress on this, it turned out fantastic! I love the mermaid design! You took a plain little vanity and made it into a work of art....way to go!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been working on the redhead mermaid this past few weeks, took me longer because I couldn't figure out how to make a sea turtle, finally ended up with this one. It's just okay.. Now I need to grout with the same gray grout as the other mermaid.

. The other pix is my mermaid with her resin coating. yep same stuff that I screwed up with the wedding plaque, but this worked great.. Then I hung the door back, can't wait until I finish little miss redhead.

Slow, you're right I was getting bored but added a few different items.

Hope to finish grouting tomorrow and then put the resin coating on and then to the beach flower resort front post!!

• katishooked
    15 years ago

This is simply beautiful. What's not to love about it. Love the colors, mermaid, dolphin, turtle, the color of the water. You have captured an under water scene. Beautiful job. As to your ? about what it is about mosaics that gets us, for me mosaics bring a different life to an object that beautifies it in such a manner that is one step above nature. We can't compete with nature but we sure can help her along. Don't know if that makes sense but I know with each new art that is created I'm caught up in it.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

LOVE that red hair. You did a great job on these. Re your question about mosaics, I asked myself the same question this past week. What IS it about gluing something onto something that makes me want to do it the rest of my life. Wish I didn't have to clean house, pull weeds (well actually, I've done neither for a very long time) - all I want to do is mosaic every day - all day.

• daisyme
    15 years ago

Mermaids and dolphines and fishes, oh my! This is really special work, girl. I'm glad you're getting done so you can just look and enjoy it from now on. It's all just delightful. Love,love,love it!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I grouted the redhead today and attached it temporarily to sink to see how it will look. Now I have to resin her, and then finish the apron part with some more tile, grout and then resin.. Hope to finish it by this weekend.

center>

• texaswild
    15 years ago

How pretty, MER. You know? It really DOES look like an underwarter scene. I know you're proud of this project. I'm still blown away by your creativity w/such a short time in the art. BEAUTIFUL job.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

This is such a great piece!!!! LOVE it! You are getting more confident with every pc you glue down and it shows!!!!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Slow, I am pleased with this, first one that I feel that way about. THough I can always see things I would like to change.

Calam, You are so SWEET to say that, I figure I am at the beginning of my learning curve, so have a very long road ahead, but it is going to be so much fun!!!

oh Slow.. i saw a really tall Texas boot at Lowes last weekend. Thought you would really love it for your garden. it's make out of clay or concrete., didn't take a really close look. I also saw some really cheap plain concrete birdbaths and benches.. Hmm.. my mind was thinking.. but I have so much on my do list...
    update 10/22 The Redhead is resined.. and the apron is off the sink and grouted. i need to make some changes so the edge looks better. hope to still be done by weekend so will post final pix...

• silvamae
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. Looove the colors. Wow, such creativity.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Yeah, MER I saw those boots the other day when I went to Lowes to buy the white rocks. They've been shown ant Lowes and Walmart garden centers for several years. Don't know why I haven't bought one - maybe cuz it's too heavy for me to pick up lately. The 25-lb bags of mortar and those rocks were taxing. When I started digging all these flowerbeds five yrs. ago, I could pick up those huge bags of compost and mulch - ha - not anymore. Thanks for the tip. Was also eying those birdbaths at Lowes - especially the ones w/the square bowls, but think I'd rather make my own w/the wire mesh. I've missed having the one I mosaiced for DD in my yard, so plan to make one for myself. Riana whipped that one out in about 20 minutes. It'll take me a lot longer. LOVE your cabinet. What a good job you did!!

• lovemosaics
    15 years ago

Wow! That is so cool! You have done an amazing job on that!
    I am in so much envy right now.....you have a sink in your work area!!!! I asked my son about putting one in mine, and he was so reluctant! he said I'd have a hard time ever selling my house with a utility sink in a bedroom...wished I had a basement! but I'd never be able to do the stairs after my accident, so it's a good thing I didn'y get my wish, or I'd be out of my workroom right now.

Love your project, so much went into it, and it's so cool!

• Mermaid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

YEA, I'm finally done. Thanks for giving me advice everyone. Here you go, finished grouting, and resined the whole thing and here are the mermaid twins. in my Mermaid cottage area aka workroom/sitting area

Onward to the beach flower resort sign post . need someone to help me translate into french or spanish... anybody??

• Louisiana_greetings
    15 years ago

WoW, that is awesome, you did a great job, i really like your m-maids, and the way you did them.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Wonderful project, MER. Congratulations on a terrific mosaicing job. Very anxious to see you begin the next project.

Sponsored