Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using dishes for mosaic

Posted by bverste (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 4, 10 at 11:00

I have been gathering some very pretty dishes that I am slowly breaking up or nipping up, anyway the question that I have is that some of the dishes have chipped, it appears that the pattern is painted on--am I explaining this well enough? anyway I am concerned that the glaze or painting will just come off the mosaic, so are there better dishes than others to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using dishes for mosaic

My experience w/hand painted dishes is that they don't hold up in below zero temps outside. I had a few minor chips on the shards, as well as on the red ceramic tiles I bought from Lowes, last winter when we had 19 below - nothing major that can't be re-touched w/porcelain paint. IMO, you can safely use yours on inside projects.

o

Slow, when a pattern is painted on, does the grouting process scrape the pattern? I had the same fears as bverste.

o

I haven't had any problems w/grouting, and I am very vigorous in the grouting process - sometimes using a wire brush. I think it was the severe winter we had in East TX that nicked a few spots. Still, I won't hesitate to keep using whatever bright colors I can find in my area. A mosaic, to me, isn't supposed to be absolutely perfect.

o

for all the dishes that I've broken, used nippers on and sorted..I found that the finer china for sure is superior to thicker pourous dishes, like from dollar stores or ones made of stone wear..
any Gibson or others, with that type of name, will be great, in breaking, nipping, hammering or just dropping on the floor.

it's just nicer, to have dishes that make a clean break and not fly off into a thousand itty bitty shards, that fall all over the floor, right around you or 6 feet away.

thrift store, with china is the way to go..don't even bother with bonanza dollar stores..you'll be sorry.

it's the gold and silver rims that make me nervous, for the grout to scratch it up.

and positively never try to outwit any corelle dishes!
you will lose~

Becky .(*_*).

o

Thanks for the info everyone, I have been having fun nipping poor little plates up--little plates that have done nothing to me.

o

Don't give up, BVERSTE. Keep looking for the nicer dishes and keep breaking, When I don't want certain shapes, I do as STRAWBERRY suggested - hammer away on a concrete floor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here