Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbfrizzell1955

My birdhouses...Group 1

barbfrizzell1955
16 years ago

I got the first group grouted and some of them are sealed.

Front & Back of birdhouse #1

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Front & Back of birdhouse #2

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My neighbor is buying this one:

{{!gwi}}

Front & Back birdhouse #3

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I painted the grout on these but I'm not happy with them!

{{!gwi}}

I was going to paint the grout on these but after the way the other 2 came out maybe I should just leave them white. What do you think? Paint the grout...what color, or just leave them like this.

{{!gwi}}

These definitely aren't shabby, right?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Yeah, these are shabby!!!

{{!gwi}}

It will probably be a couple of days before I get Group #2 done.

Barb

Comments (18)

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

Wow!!! Crafty those are really beautiful!
    The sunflower one is my favorite. No, those don't look shabby. Your shabby ones are so pretty and elegant. Really great crafty!

Hazie

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful..............all lovely, but my favorite is also the sunflower one!! Are you selling these?

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Wow! Full glass on the roofs! Love that idea!

On the pink grout that you don't like, Have you thought about using a stippling brush and dry brush it with another color? Still have some pink come through. I have decided that pieces I REALLY don't like, doesn't matter if I mess with them since I already don't like em.

Love the full piece of china you used. Great new take on the birdhouses!! Very different style!!

I would paint the ones you asked about 'cause there's so much white on it. Colored grout would really make the white stand out.

You've really gone out of the box with these. NICE WORK! Really love 'em!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Those are fabulous! my favorites are the shabby chics in the last pic! wonderful

• texaswild
    16 years ago

They are all very beautiful, CRAFTY, but IF I had to pick a favorite, it would be the yellow w/blue top. I've never mosaiced a birdhouse, but yours inspires me to do so.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

Personally, I LOVE them all!! SO jealous of the lovely porcelain flowers so many of you find....only ones around here it seems are resin or the ones with way too much gold on them. If I had to pick a fav, it would definitely be the one on the right in your last pic....gorgeous!!

Pat

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I'm jealous too Pat, everytime I come across them at thrifts - the petals are all broken!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Crafty these are all beautiful,very hard to pick a favorite.I love every one of them .Beautiful job on them all.how much you selling them for?Good luck!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

WOW Barb, you sure have been busy!! Those are all wonderful!

I think Sunshine's idea of dry brushing the ones you don't like is good. I'd do something with the other two, maybe a pale wash. I love the way you incorporated some whole pieces in them!! And the one sheet of glass roof ! Just great ideas!!

Maria

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

They're all really pretty. You've been busy!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Crafty, wow you've been busy!! I personally like the ones you painted the grout. I think my faves are in the last group. Very cute birdhouses!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

OH Crafty! I love them all!

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Gosh girl I love every one of them .Cool ideas.

• barbfrizzell1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you ladies, I'm glad you like them! Believe it or not, most of these I made for me. When I take my Christmas decorations down this year instead of putting out all the photos I have, I am going to put these in the living room where my computer desk is along with some bird plates I got very, very cheap from a GS. The 2 sunflower birdhouses are going in my kitchen on a shelf over the doorway. I already had them but they were just stained wood, I think they look a lot nicer now!
    I figure there must have been the reason I kept finding birdhouses for .25 to $1.00 at GS's. I did buy a couple more from the $$ store, Michael's & Hobby Lobby. I used some of my DH's scrap wood to make posts for them. The 2 mini ones in the last picture are actually dog photo frames. It is open on the back. The lids cover the area where the pic is supposed to go but it made it too heavy to stand up so I found the bases on clearance at Michael's.
    I've got to admit the reason I used a full piece of glass for the roof is because I'm not having much luck cutting large pieces of glass into strips and nipping into tiles. LOL I'm selling the birdhouse to my neighbor for $65.

I'm going to wait a few days to see if the painted grout houses start to grow on me before I do anything else to them. I've mixed paint into the grout on stuff before and like it because it doesn't look like it has been painted. That's what I don't like about these but I was trying to save time by just mixing up batches of white grout. I didn't have to worry about having grout left over, I'd just start on another birdhouse. Guess I could always hit it with some glitter though, right Sun?

Slow: I had a hard time deciding what color to use for the roof because the plates were a weird color blue and nothing looked right. I finally remembered French country and how much I liked the blue with yellow and fortunately I had enough yellow plates for the roof.

Thanks again! Stay tuned for group #2...

Barb

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

HEY! Glitter makes everything better, doesn't it????? LOL

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

Wow, just beautiful. Boy, you are going to have one big collection of birdhouses!! You've inspired me to do some more. I did some as my beginning projects - but I've still got a box of them sitting on a shelf - waiting TBM.

You used some fun and unique ideas on these....just love the creativity!!!

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Wow, those are great looking. Really nice combination of colors and ideas, very creative!

• bianchi2
    16 years ago

They are just beautiful and what a great idea, when the Christmas decorations go down, the birdhouses will certainly cheer things up.
    Bianchi

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!