Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Cana Leaf Birdbath

texaswild
12 years ago

Another wild idea. Sand-cast Cana leaves form the bowls on a concrete pedestal w/mixed media mosaics. My painting technique, as well as photography skills could use lots of help - not good at all. The B.B. isn't in it's final home. I'm building a grotto-like area for it somewhere - don't know yet where.

Birdbath

Comments (13)

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oh, SLOW, what a fun bird bath. You are so creative. It's so unique, I just love it! And I think your painting technique is wonderful. ;-)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Oh Man! This is another over the top creation!!! Leave...er leaf it to you to take an idea and make it extrodinary!!! Who'da thought to make a 3 fanned one like that!? It reminds me of a coconut tree! LOVE IT!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. I was gonna make one w/an Elephant Ear leaf, but changed my mind at the last minute. The day I had two ladies here making leaves from my Elephant Ears, I couldn't concentrate on one for me cuz I was helping them. Trying to figure out a permanent place for this kept me awake during the night. I need your help, CALAM - where to put it.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

WOW I love it!!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Its amazing! The three baths in one, just love it!
    Kathy

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Another amazing SLOW creation!!! I sooo LOVE it!!!! I'm going to try real hard to get a poject started tomorrow. My Hubby broke his leg so now I'm nursing him. This has just not been our year!! Can't wait to see yur next one!!!

• lfm85
    12 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful birdbath and unique idea with 3 leaves!
    I have been wanting to try a leaf casting. I found a good tutorial and am now anxious to give it a try. Do you have make your castings in the same way?

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf casting

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, MOSAICREFLECTIONS. I was inspired by several tutorials several years ago, including NICETHYME'S tut on Flickr. When the ladies came to my house and made some using my GIANT Elephant Ears, I used their formula. Three parts sand, one part Portland Cement. For the liquid - half water and half admixture. They didn't use any reinforcements, but I chose to use the drywall fiberglass tape in between two layers of the concrete mixture. For the Hosta leaf I used in the water feature w/the faces, I used Mortar Mix and the fiberglass tape. I'm not happy w/the way I painted the birdbath bowls, so am gonna trade some tiles w/my present student, who is talented w/painting to re-paint the leaves.

• lfm85
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input, Slow. I am definitely going to give it a try! I have some left over thin set mortar mix and fiberglass tape from my totem project I will use.
    When you use the leaves with water in them, do you do anything special to waterproof them?

• emtnest
    12 years ago

Another amazing Slow work of art!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, they held water from the beginning - they're quite thick, but I did use masonry sealer, hoping to brighten the paint - it didn't make a difference.

• klinger
    12 years ago

Very nice Slow, what a unique design, I just love it. I made a few ee castings last week and hope the weather will hold out to do some more this week, it's getting cold and damp here. I think yours turned out beautifully.
    Cindy

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, KLINGER. I had planned to make an EE birdbath bowl, but thought this idea more unique. I built the arms to hold the leaves w/the diamond lath/concrete. That sucker is HEAVY. I'll wait 'till next year to make a giant EE leaf casting. OR, if you and CALAM decide to come in spring after they've come up and developed, we could do one then. Y'all can do something else (cuz it'd be difficult to carry one those on the plane) while I make the leaf.