Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lfm85

Totem Sculpture

lfm85
12 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

Last spring I posted a message about a project that I was working on for my children's school garden and I received lots of good advice about how to make the shapes out of concrete and mesh. I used polystyrene shapes, then mesh and thinset mortar. There is a 2" pvc pipe inside each piece which all slide onto a 1 1/2" steel pole. This project has taken me 9 months to complete and I am very happy with it! Now, I have so many ideas in my head that I can't wait to make something else! :)

Thank you all for your advice! (sorry for all the pictures, I can't help myself...this has been my baby!)

Lynn

Comments (22)

• wackyweeder
    12 years ago

Holy cow what a project! Its amazing nd you did a fabulous job!

• loribee2
    12 years ago

WOW, I remember your postings and your questions. I'm so amazed at what a beautiful project you ended up with. This is stunning. Definitely something to be proud of!

• amerique2
    12 years ago

That is a beauty! Congratulations! I know the school and children must be very pleased.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OHMYGOODNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I remember your first posting. You went from that to THIS??????? Are you kidding us - we LOVE lots of pictures. What a fabulous sculpture. Wish I could take lessons from you. It's absolutely GORGEOUS, and so well executed. Congrats - take a deeeeep bow.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful and inspiring piece you created.

We need to see more pictures, especially the globe we didn't get a detail of yet.

• barbfrizzell1955
    12 years ago

This is fantastic! You deserve to be proud of how it came out and it is a wonderful addition for the school!

• gretch1964
    12 years ago

Holy cow this is amazing. What a wonderful piece of art. Congrates..

• fiddlekate
    12 years ago

SO beautiful!!! What a huge job... and one that will last and be appreciated for generations to come!!!

• lfm85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for such nice comments...I am truly flattered. I was so totally consumed with this project that I did little else this summer including posting some work-in-progress photos. So here they are!

I thought that you would like to see this one just for a perspective on how tall it is! Now, I need to make something for my yard....only not as big! :)

The sphere is covered with broken Tempered Glass. I also randomly placed inspirational and virtuous words under plain glass.

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

What an awesome project. Love the totem design. You hyave got to be nothin' but PROUD of such an awsome piece!! Pics are sooooo welcome, especially in the stages of progress.

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

WOW!!! Absolutey BEAUTIFUL!!!! You definetly shud be proud!!! I love it!!

• bamasusanna
    12 years ago

Excellent!!! What a beautiful treasure.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Wow, I'll bet the kids just LOVE it! What an accomplishment. Love the colors.

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

OMG!!!!! I can only say WOW you did a great job I know you are so proud as you should be.I want to do one .I have the place for it on my corner (Slow where my stepping stones are).I love this!!!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OH YES - NANA: That w/be the perfect place for one for you. You'll stop traffic for sure. We don't see enough of your work. You better not be holding out on us.

• lfm85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nanatricia- If you decide to make a totem, I have LOTS of advice if you need it. I learned so much from this project. My next one should not take me nearly as long! :)
    ....plus it won't be so big!
    I would love to see more mosaic totems!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I've only made one and it's not nearly as tall as yours. I really really enjoyed it and plan to make another!

Here is a link that might be useful: silva's totem

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Love that one too!!! silvame !!I started doing my worm like yours slow today.I will get some picks soon.
    I am sure I can use all the advise I could get .I do want to do one.

• Imsunflwr1
    12 years ago

Wow! That is so cool! Absolutely love it!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful! I'm intrigued by the use of polystyrene.
    It certainly turned out beautiful!
    Kathy

• lfm85
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for such nice comments!
    I was inspired by the book written by Sherri Warner Hunter, "Creative Concrete Ornaments for the Garden"
    Lots of great ideas and information. Sherri even took the time to reply to my e-mail with many questions and of course the ladies here on the mosaic forum were of great help to me with my questions! Sherri uses polystyrene as her base on some pieces and carves her shape...seemed too much for me so I found a packaging company in my town who cut the shapes I wanted...even the children. I was very happy about that! This was so much fun to make-I have so many ideas now!

• fldirt
    12 years ago

This is amazing! What an awesome job you did. You should be very proud of yourself.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm